BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #111
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Don't envy the M3 price and a 4.8 0-60 car is perfectly fast enough. Louder exhuast note is the one thing the car needed for me out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #112
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzone View Post
Don't envy the M3 price and a 4.8 0-60 car is perfectly fast enough. Louder exhuast note is the one thing the car needed for me out of the box.
Hell yeah.
Our 135i is about as fast, and almost handles as well as the E46 M3, but the 135i has a MUCH better daily ride.
I've driven a number of E46 M3's and all really require a dedication to accepting a suspension that CRASHES over everything except a smooth road, and good luck finding those in most areas.

The 135i is a awesome automobile in terms of performance. Yes, it cost a bit more than other cars in it's genre, but it also has a higher resale value, so it's a wash. The biggest expense is the initial outlay of cash to get in it, but you do get a better return when selling it, it's all relative.

Other than the people who are having an exceptional number of problems, I just don't see how someone can get bored with it's performance even in stock form. I mean, 0-60 in under 5 seconds and the 1/4 in the 13's with trap speeds in the 100's!? These numbers were reserved for "supercars" over a decade ago. It could be my age cause I remember when 0-60 in the low 6's was amazing for a reasonably priced sporty car, and the handling and braking were no where near the level of the 135i.

Reading some of the comments on this thread makes me think why all these people who must have had Porsche turbo's, ZR1's, and Ferrari's are buying a 135i, cause your boredom has to be compared to something amazing you currently drive or had owned before you got your 135i.

My 135i is THE fastest stock car I've owned, and it IS quite fast, and for daily spirited street driving there isn't much you can throw at it that will unsettle it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #113
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

I had the opportunity to drive a '07 C6Z06 and a '10 GTR yesterday. I think I could learn to like the GTR, but where can you use it? It is fast, but it is also a huge car. It handles the weight well, with monstrous tires and brakes, and I loved the dual clutch transmission. I wonder how long it will last on the track, and I hate to think about the cost of tires and brakes for the thing.

Then I drove the Z06. Talk about a blunt instrument. Of course it is fast, but incredibly clunky in its operation. I've also driven an '08 Z51 Vette, and they have made significant improvements in the steering and shifter over the '07 model. Afterwards, my car felt so tight and precise - steering, brakes, shifter, brakes, seats, pedal position, etc. It reminded me of why I keep coming back to BMW. With my JB3 only set to map 2, it really didn't feel much slower in terms of street performance. I'm sure 500HP would make it's presence known on a long track like VIR, but how much can you use on the street? Both cars will spin the wheels readily. Tire smoke is not high on my priority list.

Bottom line: Our cars may have some issues, but I've yet to drive the car I'd want to buy to replace it. (Still looking for a chance to drive a GT3 - preferably on the track!) The E92M3 would be at the top of my list, but even that doesn't feel as strong in day-to-day driving. If I sell the 135, it will be because I simply don't need the extra car, not because I'm tired of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #114
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Garr...more mechanical issues and the car is going back into the shop this week. But as the above post says, I can't find another car that I feel right in...ohh that and BMW wont buy back my car and the resale value is in the crapper because ive been hit in the ass twice.

I have no idea how I still love to drive this car

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #115
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I have no idea how I still love to drive this car
It's because you're a 1ADDICT.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #116
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
I had the opportunity to drive a '07 C6Z06 and a '10 GTR yesterday. I think I could learn to like the GTR, but where can you use it? It is fast, but it is also a huge car. It handles the weight well, with monstrous tires and brakes, and I loved the dual clutch transmission. I wonder how long it will last on the track, and I hate to think about the cost of tires and brakes for the thing.

Then I drove the Z06. Talk about a blunt instrument. Of course it is fast, but incredibly clunky in its operation. I've also driven an '08 Z51 Vette, and they have made significant improvements in the steering and shifter over the '07 model. Afterwards, my car felt so tight and precise - steering, brakes, shifter, brakes, seats, pedal position, etc. It reminded me of why I keep coming back to BMW. With my JB3 only set to map 2, it really didn't feel much slower in terms of street performance. I'm sure 500HP would make it's presence known on a long track like VIR, but how much can you use on the street? Both cars will spin the wheels readily. Tire smoke is not high on my priority list.

Bottom line: Our cars may have some issues, but I've yet to drive the car I'd want to buy to replace it. (Still looking for a chance to drive a GT3 - preferably on the track!) The E92M3 would be at the top of my list, but even that doesn't feel as strong in day-to-day driving. If I sell the 135, it will be because I simply don't need the extra car, not because I'm tired of it.
A GT3 huh? I am surprised the wife has not "convinced" you to get rid of the 1er yet! LOL...How have you been sir?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #117
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
A GT3 huh? I am surprised the wife has not "convinced" you to get rid of the 1er yet! LOL...How have you been sir?
The Boss is OK with whatever I want to drive, as long as she has her daily driver with an automatic.

I'm getting ready for VIR this weekend. Looks like I may need snow tires for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #118
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
The Boss is OK with whatever I want to drive, as long as she has her daily driver with an automatic.

I'm getting ready for VIR this weekend. Looks like I may need snow tires for the M3.
LOL...yeah gotta keep The Boss happy!
VIR niiiice...I would love to roll there one day...unfortunately I have not been able to do anything for the past 1.5 months due to being in Germany on assignment. I will return in January and get to work sorting out my understeer/suspension issues as well as possibly getting some dedicated track tires/wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #119
woodman650
Super Couper
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Just a note on rattles and such... if it's not obvious, it also depends on where you're driving. I bought my car in San Francisco and had it down there for 6 months before I moved to Seattle. It never made a sound to be concerned about.

Because Seattle has harsh winters (harsh=snow/ice), where San Francisco did not, the roads are obviously a little more worn and thrashed. Within 3 weeks of Seattle driving my car started rattling left and right. Then I moved to Portland 9 months after that and all went to hell. The car rattles EVERYWHERE. Dealer won't chase 10+ rattles though and for every rattle I get resolved, a new one appears. I just crank the music or roll down the windows and I'm content.

A buddy of mine drives an '05 S4 though and that thing is solid. The cabin feels very "snug". No rattles, hardly any road noise. I do envy that one thing, but ONLY that one thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #120
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I didn't know that so many people had the annoying interior rattles like I do. I really love my 135i and I love the attention the car gets on a daily (and I do mean daily) basis. the car looks great and by all means it's fast as hell considering it's mainly stock.

I just don't lknow how much longer I can live with the interior rattles before I run out of patience. I talked to my service advisor and he said they would do whatever they could to stop the rattles, but I still can't help to be concerned about any possible problems that could arrise in the future.

I guess for now I'll continue to handle the rattling problem like I have which is either turning up the radio or rolling down the windows. I can honestly say I would like my car 100% if it weren't for this one issue.

what to do, what to do???????????

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #121
Yes2m3cs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS 2016 M4

Hearing all these rattle stories makes me happy that I only have the center armrest creak. I know the dealer can fix this one but I keep forgetting when I bring the car in.

I am not tired of my car at all...I usually get bored pretty quickly with cars, but after 1.6 years I still love it like day one.

If the car stays overall reliable, I will keep it for quite sometime
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #122
oasis3582
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xG35guy View Post
Hearing all these rattle stories makes me happy that I only have the center armrest creak. I know the dealer can fix this one but I keep forgetting when I bring the car in.

I am not tired of my car at all...I usually get bored pretty quickly with cars, but after 1.6 years I still love it like day one.

If the car stays overall reliable, I will keep it for quite sometime
I have the armrest creak too - is there a bulletin for it?
Previous: VW GTI, Tesla Model 3 LR, Mazda MX-5 RF, Ford Mustang GT (x2), Mazda 3, BMW Z4 sDrive35i, Acura TSX, BMW 135i, Acura TSX, Honda Accord Coupe V6, Acura RDX, Pontiac GTO 6.0, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #123
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I feel sorry for you guys over in the USA and Canada. I've had my car for 9 months and no rattles whatsoever (touch wood). I'm assuming the there is a big difference in the roads but I didn't seem to notice much of a difference last time I visited USA and Canada, but then again I didn't get to drive around in a 135i over there either!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #124
Yes2m3cs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis3582 View Post
I have the armrest creak too - is there a bulletin for it?

I thought I read that there was one for it a while back. It doesn't squeak all the time so I am not really worried about it. Other than that, the car is solid and quiet. I think the smooth florida roads help, and im on runflats!

Brian
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #125
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I feel sorry for you guys over in the USA and Canada. I've had my car for 9 months and no rattles whatsoever (touch wood). I'm assuming the there is a big difference in the roads but I didn't seem to notice much of a difference last time I visited USA and Canada, but then again I didn't get to drive around in a 135i over there either!
Where did you visit in the states, if you don't mind me asking?

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #126
smpeck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Coupe (E92)

My car's rattles and creaks are dependent on the temperature and road surface. When the weather's hot, I get non-stop creaks/popping from the a-pillars. When the temperature drops, the a-pillars get relatively quiet and the dash takes over noise duty. My driver's side window makes a horrible squeaking noise directly in my left ear any time I hit even a small bump on the passenger side of the vehicle. Ah, the joys of having a soft-top convertible.

I'm learning to live with all the noises. I find staying heavy on the gas pedal helps distract me from all the cabin noises.

Will think long and hard before purchasing another soft-top BMW convertible. I recently saw a post here from a 1er coupe owner who is trading that for a 1er convertible. I wouldn't recommend it!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #127
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Hell yeah.
Our 135i is about as fast, and almost handles as well as the E46 M3, but the 135i has a MUCH better daily ride.
I've driven a number of E46 M3's and all really require a dedication to accepting a suspension that CRASHES over everything except a smooth road, and good luck finding those in most areas.

The 135i is a awesome automobile in terms of performance. Yes, it cost a bit more than other cars in it's genre, but it also has a higher resale value, so it's a wash. The biggest expense is the initial outlay of cash to get in it, but you do get a better return when selling it, it's all relative.

Other than the people who are having an exceptional number of problems, I just don't see how someone can get bored with it's performance even in stock form. I mean, 0-60 in under 5 seconds and the 1/4 in the 13's with trap speeds in the 100's!? These numbers were reserved for "supercars" over a decade ago. It could be my age cause I remember when 0-60 in the low 6's was amazing for a reasonably priced sporty car, and the handling and braking were no where near the level of the 135i.

Reading some of the comments on this thread makes me think why all these people who must have had Porsche turbo's, ZR1's, and Ferrari's are buying a 135i, cause your boredom has to be compared to something amazing you currently drive or had owned before you got your 135i.

My 135i is THE fastest stock car I've owned, and it IS quite fast, and for daily spirited street driving there isn't much you can throw at it that will unsettle it.
You make some good points, and overall I agree that the car is a good car.

With that being said.....to me it is about a natural progression. I started with the 1.8T Jetta, then moved on to the GLI....but I wanted more power, better handling, and brakes, so I got one of the first E92s sold in Indiana back in 2006, but could only swing the 328i......drove that for about a year and a half and started wanting more again.....enter the 135, which was leaps and bounds above my E92 328i, in terms of performance.

I think my overall goal is an M3 or Cayman S, or maybe an M Coupe. Driving my dad's 07 M coupe is just soooooooo much more satisfying.....revving it out to 8000 RPM and listening to that E46 M3 CSL engine is just sweet music to my ears....all three of these cars have better handling, braking, and overall performance than the 135 as well....

Yes, I know you can get a tune or software download for the N54, which I have done. And yes the car is really fast in the lower speeds...REALLY fast....but it isn't just all about low end grunt to me, which is why I really think I am bored with the thing. I understand those who say that it is hard to use the M3's or Cayman's true potential in daily driving--those comments are quite correct. But when you come across a nice road that isn't busy and you want to have a little fun, well.......that is where the 135 falls short in my opinion....it just doesn't have the same purpose as an M or a Porsche...it is made to go fast in a straight line, and only up to certain speeds...that's all I am saying...

Again, it has been a good car, but in the natural progression of wanting something more solid in the turns, better in the handling department, and overall "planted" feel....the 135 just doesn't quite cut it for me anymore. You can only gun it from light to light so many times and feel satisfied with the experience, especially when the engine poops out at 6000 RPM or lower, depending on the gear....
      12-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #128
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

The fact when it gets remotely dirt and I get absolutely furious tells me I def. still love this thing....

oh that and the fact when I beat cars who have know clue what they are in for when they look over at the little bmw...

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #129
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Where did you visit in the states, if you don't mind me asking?
Las Vegas

That's where I spent most of my time... and money!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #130
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
In Texas no rattles. Wondering what Michigan roads-winter will do to my car though. Very limited winter driving - work I96 each way - roads aren't bad - all fresh pavement. Using the SHO for all other driving for the next few months.

Rattles would suuuck.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #131
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpeck View Post
My car's rattles and creaks are dependent on the temperature and road surface. When the weather's hot, I get non-stop creaks/popping from the a-pillars. When the temperature drops, the a-pillars get relatively quiet and the dash takes over noise duty. My driver's side window makes a horrible squeaking noise directly in my left ear any time I hit even a small bump on the passenger side of the vehicle. Ah, the joys of having a soft-top convertible.

I'm learning to live with all the noises. I find staying heavy on the gas pedal helps distract me from all the cabin noises.

Will think long and hard before purchasing another soft-top BMW convertible. I recently saw a post here from a 1er coupe owner who is trading that for a 1er convertible. I wouldn't recommend it!

Do you run top down but windows up? You might need a window alignment or ven a top alignment depend on how many times youve put the top down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Las Vegas

That's where I spent most of my time... and money!!
Well thats the thing. Come to New York next time youre crazy enough to take a 20 hour flight. Well take a nice ride down 2nd Ave, quite frankly one of the worst roads in the country.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #132
smpeck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Coupe (E92)

[QUOTE=BrokenVert;6304857]Do you run top down but windows up? You might need a window alignment or ven a top alignment depend on how many times youve put the top down.

I rarely drive with the top down and the windows up.

I'm estimating I've put the top down well over 300 times. Am I wearing it out?
Appreciate 0