BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
pghollysprings
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM, 6sp, perfor pkg,

My impressions of Premium audio system

Hi all. I've now had my 135 for 3months. I have premium audio with HD radio. I'm an 'audiophile' with 15k home audio system and in my previous Acura RSX type S had Polk DB speakers, with Rockfort Fosgate 4 channel amp and dedicated class D sub amp with JBL precision 12 inch subwoofer.
Ok, I have to say that the 'stock' premium system is great. I assumed I'd be adding after market stuff. But I really don't see the need. HD radio is hands above analogue radio. I've ran a 'test sweep' with a CD ....the stock under seat subs can go down to 25 hertz. The major factor in sound quality is the source. Garbage in garbage out! I have logic 7 set to music and have 'tweaked' the equalizer for most 'netural' response. Garbage means MP3's / Ipods....the compression simply can't give true fidelity. So I'm actually surprizingly impressed with the premium system. The only thing I miss from my previous after market system is the really deep low end with the JBL sub. Then again, with good source material I've been amazed at what can come out of the premium system. (I never listened to non-premium system so can't make comparisions). So for now I'm content
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Similar story for me, like some others have said, there is a touch too much highs coming from the top tweeter, blaring straight into my face, I have eq'd down the highs a tiny bit. But the volume and clarity is astounding, and it drowns out all road noise easily.
      08-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
nealric
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Garbage means MP3's / Ipods....the compression simply can't give true fidelity.
Try a double blind test. The vast majority of people can't tell the difference between a well encoded 320k MP3 and a CD.

Many people who refuse to use Mp3s because of sound quality are also the same types who think $1,000 cables are essential.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

You can notice.

I play all my music via my iPod and got a new CD the other day and played it direct. The quality and clarity are better.

I would agree that the average Joe sitting in your car listening to both setups wouldn't notice, but as the daily driver and someone who never listens to the radio - just my iPod, I can tell.

It's not a huge difference though. Kind of like the difference between DTS on a DVD and DTS-HD on Blu-Ray, you know it's better, but it's not hugely different.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

When I record at 32 bit word lengths (or even 24) and reasonable sample rates with a home recording setup and a good mic, it sounds wonderful through decent studio monitors. It is hard to tell it's recorded as opposed to simply amplified. When I play vinyl at home I can certainly hear the difference between that and a CD. Even inattentive listeners pick up on the difference in warmth and depth. It is not hard to hear the difference between a typical MP3 and CD (remember MP3's are not about fidelity, they are about the way your ear works to make you not miss the parts that are not there). Still, add in the noise floor in a car and the convenience of popping in a USB drive and I'm OK with MP3's. I do, of course, wish we had better choices.

-Spook
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghollysprings View Post
Hi all. I've now had my 135 for 3months. I have premium audio with HD radio. I'm an 'audiophile' with 15k home audio system and in my previous Acura RSX type S had Polk DB speakers, with Rockfort Fosgate 4 channel amp and dedicated class D sub amp with JBL precision 12 inch subwoofer.
Ok, I have to say that the 'stock' premium system is great. I assumed I'd be adding after market stuff. But I really don't see the need. HD radio is hands above analogue radio. I've ran a 'test sweep' with a CD ....the stock under seat subs can go down to 25 hertz. The major factor in sound quality is the source. Garbage in garbage out! I have logic 7 set to music and have 'tweaked' the equalizer for most 'netural' response. Garbage means MP3's / Ipods....the compression simply can't give true fidelity. So I'm actually surprizingly impressed with the premium system. The only thing I miss from my previous after market system is the really deep low end with the JBL sub. Then again, with good source material I've been amazed at what can come out of the premium system. (I never listened to non-premium system so can't make comparisions). So for now I'm content
Can you post your EQ settings?
      08-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
Try a double blind test. The vast majority of people can't tell the difference between a well encoded 320k MP3 and a CD.
Problem is so many MP3s are encoded at way less than 320k.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Ivor
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoreality15 View Post
+1
      08-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoreality15 View Post
I started a new thread for people to post their EQ settings. I think it would be good to have a sample of some good ones. Post ''em if you got 'em.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=211949
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
pghollysprings
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM, 6sp, perfor pkg,

See my comments on premium eq settings post
Appreciate 0