BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #23
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
he has no knowledge of the CRV mod so I guess I'll be teaching him about it tomorrow. I have also asked him about the LED lights in the map lights that go out after 8 seconds - he said he'll look into that.

In a perfect world, the CRV mod will not affect the warranty and perhaps they'll comp its removal. Or perhaps if they hook up a PC to the car they could code out the LED interior light check while they're at it.
Maybe he doesn't know what you mean because its called "CDV" (Clutch Delay Valve"
Maybe he'll teach you something tomorrow...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
I don't want to argue the 'harsh-not harsh' issue of the email. I have apologized before and will do it again if the situation so warrants. But seriously, reading printed words on a tire and associating them with a label in the door jamb relating to a specific wheel is something that I would expect any high school graduate, much less a trained BMW mechanic, to get right more than 25% of the time. There is one tire of the correct size in the correct position. And, afterwards, when the car is final inspected as part of the CPO process, I'd expect the same level of competence.

The State inspection is the standard state inspection. The car will not pass if the tires are mismatched. I am due for inspection in late 2012. If these tires are still on the car at that time, it will not pass. It was not delivered in a condition to pass inspection, even though the inspection isn't due for 6 months.

1911A145: You raise some good points... but a vehicle that is sold at a premium due to a CPO status should have been processed according to the CPO status. And since when should service level be tied to trim level? As for my coffee, I always ask them for sugar 'on the side'...

I may not have the best bedside manner as it were, but I am also the type to admit when I am wrong, apologize if warranted and sing praises also if warranted.
I, also, would expect any high school graduate buying a used car to "kick the tires" or in your case, check the tires. I look over any car I buy with predjudice. Even if it means making sure there are no wheels scratched up and if the tires are the same brand and size. You cant count on someone else doing it for you when they dont have a lot of money invested into it.

I hop you get it worked out.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #25
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

I dropped the car off this morning. He is going to replace the incorrect tires. I did apologize about the tone of the email (thanks for keeping me in check BTW) and he said that all he really cares about is making it right and that he probably wouldn't have been as nice as I was had he experienced the same issues.

He also stated that what had most likely occurred is that the car was pushed through the process because I bought it the day it was traded in and the salesman wanted to get it delivered on my behalf since all the paperwork was done etc. so they rushed. I said I would rather have let them take their time and pick up the car a day hence had I known. I suggested that he feel free to keep the car longer if necessary if there's anything else they might have skipped.

So the plan is to swap the extra front tire, put the two rear tires on the rear and the two fronts on the front, and probably replace the radio which goes blank when it's hot in the car.

On another note, Karma I guess is alive and well, as I was pulled over in the loaner (a 335) doing 58 in a 40. Fortunately my clean record to date was a 'get out of jail free' card; all I got was a warning. But now I have to be good awhile

I'll post again when I pick up the car, sposedly this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
I dropped the car off this morning. He is going to replace the incorrect tires. I did apologize about the tone of the email (thanks for keeping me in check BTW) and he said that all he really cares about is making it right and that he probably wouldn't have been as nice as I was had he experienced the same issues.

He also stated that what had most likely occurred is that the car was pushed through the process because I bought it the day it was traded in and the salesman wanted to get it delivered on my behalf since all the paperwork was done etc. so they rushed. I said I would rather have let them take their time and pick up the car a day hence had I known. I suggested that he feel free to keep the car longer if necessary if there's anything else they might have skipped.

So the plan is to swap the extra front tire, put the two rear tires on the rear and the two fronts on the front, and probably replace the radio which goes blank when it's hot in the car.

On another note, Karma I guess is alive and well, as I was pulled over in the loaner (a 335) doing 58 in a 40. Fortunately my clean record to date was a 'get out of jail free' card; all I got was a warning. But now I have to be good awhile

I'll post again when I pick up the car, sposedly this afternoon.
Glad to hear this approach is working out for you. Enjoy your new ride!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
J0E
Year One of the 1
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
I, also, would expect any high school graduate buying a used car to "kick the tires" or in your case, check the tires. I look over any car I buy with predjudice. Even if it means making sure there are no wheels scratched up and if the tires are the same brand and size. You cant count on someone else doing it for you when they dont have a lot of money invested into it.

I hop you get it worked out.
The car should be checked over by the buyer BUT I disagree with the "you can't count on someone else doing it for you" part. This is a Certified vehicle and you pay a premium for the certification and additional warranty that comes with it. With signs and salesmen boasting about all the inspections done to make it as good as a new BMW, I would be pretty annoyed if something as simple as this was missed and pretty mad that I paid a premium for a fully inspected vehicle that was CLEARLY not fully inspected. It makes you wonder if they checked anything before selling it to you.

I can check tires and check fluids when I get home, but I am not going to put it on a lift and do the "250 point" inspection that was supposed to be done at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0E View Post
The car should be checked over by the buyer BUT I disagree with the "you can't count on someone else doing it for you" part. This is a Certified vehicle and you pay a premium for the certification and additional warranty that comes with it. With signs and salesmen boasting about all the inspections done to make it as good as a new BMW, I would be pretty annoyed if something as simple as this was missed and pretty mad that I paid a premium for a fully inspected vehicle that was CLEARLY not fully inspected. It makes you wonder if they checked anything before selling it to you.

I can check tires and check fluids when I get home, but I am not going to put it on a lift and do the "250 point" inspection that was supposed to be done at the dealer.
Do you honeslty think they really sit there and look over and check 250 items? Hell no...

Its a nice sales pitch, for sure, but aftey the "check 250 things" on the car, I have my own mechanic look over along with myself at everything I can.

OP...

Glad you got it worked out. keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #29
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Glad it worked out, sorry about the police, but at least you got out of that.

Enjoy your 1 like an Addict
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Update: Dealer has replaced the tires; now working on the radio issue (hot display). The manager is also going to try and code my car so as to not check the interior lighting so I can use my LEDs.

Unfortunately, the car is there for the weekend - the new radio they ordered was defective and another new one is due Monday. Hopefully back in operation Monday - I have a loaner.
      05-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #31
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Update - Car is back home

I got the car back yesterday after quite a while - almost a week! They put the correct tires in the correct places, did a complete inspection and replaced the radio which had heat display issues. All in all it was a positive experience and I'm sure I'll likely give them a positive survey if they ask.

Interestingly enough, I learned that the service manager there is very conservative in his approach to mods or anything 'not standard'. He denies knowledge of things like consumer remote coding and seemed amazed that people are willy-nilly removing clutch valves and correcting the speedometer errors on their cars.

Glad to lose the 335 loaner I had. Fast, for sure but not very comfortable or engaging.
      05-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #32
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Tires are correct now... but...

I'm not sure what to think, but I have learned my lesson and want to ask your opinion before approaching the dealer.

I am not 100% sure, but something is not right.

First, there is a decent-sized (1-2") scratch on the spokes of one of the wheels which I know was not there before. I have been over every inch of those wheels with a brush, Zaino, and more recently wax.

Second, I had my wheels so clean you could eat off them; even behind the rotor. Behind the spokes not 100% clean but getting there. Upon return, the wheels look as dirty as they did when I got the car; seems like I almost had to 'start over'. I can understand a few fingerprints (which were there, on the outside of the wheel) but how'd they get so dirty on the inside of the wheel? When the car was only driven a mile or two...

Third, I had used some Zaino tire dressing on all four tires and when I last washed the car, the water on the tires was beading up nicely. Upon return and a wash, it's like the tires were never treated.

Fourth (and unrelated) the car has a slight bit of roughness to the idle I did not notice before. Could be bad gas as I did recently fill up.

If I'm not rational, this adds up to them possibly swapping out all 4 wheels with the correct tires from another car. I don't want to think that's what happened, but I am considering taking the car to an independent tire dealer to have the tread evaluated to see if it is anywhere near 80% (should be; I've only had the car a couple months and put 3500 miles on it so I'd think over half but the tires look almost shot).

Can I go to another BMW dealer to find out what work has been done to the car besides what I have invoices/receipts for? Can they scan the keyfob or something? I am not sure I trust the dealer - I like the service manager but I don't trust the guys doing the work. Maybe he's toio nice a guy and doesn't check their work. Am I wrong to feel this way?

Getting the car with mismatched tires in the first place has led to distrust overall.