BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Please help me prepare!

I am going to put 6K miles on my 128 over a 2-week round trip drive from Pennsylvania to Washington State. We're leaving in June. We'll take the Northern route out and the Southern route back, to stop in Reno/Las Vegas.

My question is, other than fluids, what preparations would you recommend I make for this journey car-wise? My 128 has 21K miles, 6MT and is pretty basic. Have run-flats on the car which was boiught CPO on 2/24/12.

I never really worried about this kinda stuiff before but with kids I don't want to risk the inconvenience of being stranded for want of something simple that I shoulda brung or done before I left.

Any advice greatly appreciated...
      05-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Oil change & go! Wouldn't worry about much else!

Bring an extra gallon of gas, plenty of water to stay in the car and maybe a jumper cable, just so a silly "left the lights on" incident doesn't put a dent into your vacation.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
1ersoldier
PFC
Germany
Rep
Drives: 09 128i Montago Blue, US Spec

I dont think it would hurt to check things like tire wear and wipers. at only 20k miles they shouldnt be a problem, but you never know!
      05-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
SCHLUMPF
SCHLUMPF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i Convertible

You should be ok on oil changes until you get back but I would take an extra quart to top off in case it reads low. Since it is cpo, you should have roadside assistance for any problems. Have a great trip!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHLUMPF View Post
You should be ok on oil changes until you get back but I would take an extra quart to top off in case it reads low. Since it is cpo, you should have roadside assistance for any problems. Have a great trip!
I will, thanks! I'm looking forward to taking some pictures at various places over the country and may attempt to videotape/time lapse the whole drive.
      05-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I carry a Viair 70P air compressor and a good tire gauge in my bimmer all the time. My flats have always been slow leaks and with a compressor you can deal with it easily. The Viair is about $50 and Amazon is a decent place to get it. Be sure and get the separate accessory outlet that clips directly to the battery. It pulls at least 15A and it is much more convenient to just clip to the battery. Otherwise you have to keep the bimmer running or the accessory outlet will turn off. The extra outlet is also available at Amazon for about $5. All this stuff fits into the nice little case that comes with the compressor and sits in the corner of the trunk. I also carry a few tools in a tool roll benieth the trunk floor. Pliers, screwdriver with multiple tips, sockets and ratchet etc..

Jim
      05-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Hey dorkie...I know you stated "other than fluids", but regardless...don't forget the BEER!

Enjoy the kruze.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Definitely consider JimD's compressor suggestion. One of my Bimmers has RFTs, the other go-flats and I carry a small compressor and plug kit in both. They fit in the 1er's battery compartment and simply stowing one in the trunk seems to ward off punctures.

One of the roads I'd recommend for the southern route is US 64 across New Mexico. Wonderful road, interesting altitude variations, incredible scenery and little traffic except around Taos.

Have a great trip.

Tom
Appreciate 0