BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #23
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
And you take your foot off the brake, you know what it's going to do every time, it moves away, it doesn't have to engage. The DCs can feel a little strange in this area.

Great car.
I guess it's driver preference at the end of the day.
I find the DCT to act like a manual when going from a stop, I had quite a few manual cars, and I didnt always get smooth starts off the line, most times yes but sometimes I'd get the clutch too low or too high. The DCT acts the same, most times it's super smooth but some times it's a tad off.
Personally I love that about it. It's a clutch with an automated clutch pedal, and it acts exactly like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & F85 X5M

Garage List
Great write up, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #25
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorchimp View Post
I guess it's driver preference at the end of the day.
I find the DCT to act like a manual when going from a stop, I had quite a few manual cars, and I didnt always get smooth starts off the line, most times yes but sometimes I'd get the clutch too low or too high. The DCT acts the same, most times it's super smooth but some times it's a tad off.
Personally I love that about it. It's a clutch with an automated clutch pedal, and it acts exactly like that.
A bit quirky, but I like it too. The computer is always trying to guess what you are going to ask from the car. When backing out of my driveway (which is slightly downhill), I brake before getting to the curb and you can feel the clutch taking the car out of gear and the corresponding increase in engine RPM (cold motor). Same thing on an incline. The car may roll backwards a tiny bit before the clutch releases. I miss having a manual transmission about 20% of the time... the rest of the time I'm extremely happy with the DCT... especially when I hear that bark during upshifts! On balance, I'm enjoying my time with the DCT.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #26
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Yep, I also love how fast it upshifts! Like the gear was there just waiting to be engaged. Curious if the 8 spd on the 2 is comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
... the rest of the time I'm extremely happy with the DCT... especially when I hear that bark during upshifts! On balance, I'm enjoying my time with the DCT.

Last edited by motorchimp; 03-12-2014 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #27
rrinorl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Space Grey

i'd like to see what someone who has switched out bushings and some other suspension items in their 1 would say about the 2..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #28
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrinorl View Post
i'd like to see what someone who has switched out bushings and some other suspension items in their 1 would say about the 2..
I have Dinan springs/dampers and Michelin PSS 225/255. Had a quick test drive in an M235i when my local dealer got one in (quicker than I'd like, really, but it was rush hour) and it felt very similar. The M235i seemed to handle road imperfections a little better - maybe due to the adaptive dampers, maybe due to the longer wheelbase - and felt equally buttoned down. As others have said, the ZF 8-speed gearbox is a game changer for automatics.

I wish I could find a way to have a proper drive in the new car, to really feel the difference closer to the limit, because even though I've now driven both I find myself wondering the same thing. I know the M235i is a standard 2-series chassis with uprated springs/dampers, and better brakes. No changes to suspension geometry (except for the ride height drop) or bushings (I don't think?). The only thing I can say with certainty is that the M235i handles rough roads with more composure than my car, at least at lower speeds.

Given this, I can't help but wonder if BMW could have made the 1-series handle equally well with non-RFT tires (PSS seem to work wonders) and a more sporty suspension tune. It'll never handle quite like a true M-car, I'm sure, as it's meant to be more forgiving, but the added front-end grip makes a huge difference.

Last edited by NYHoustonman; 03-13-2014 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #29
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

I agree that after my test drive in a M235 last week, the ride comfort and chassis setup is a huge improvement over the stock E82 135i. But given the extra track and wheelbase, and decade or so of development it bloody well should do as well

I also agree with others in that the ZF8 is very, very good for a slushbox, but I still prefer the DCT, just feels that bit more mechanical in nature.

I thought the steering was woeful. Way over assisted at slow speed, and no feel at all. Yes, the rack ratio is quick, and therefore gives an impression of being sporty and pointy, but there was no feel there.

Yo can feel the extra 20 odd horses in the N55, but given the feeling of being in a bigger car, it didn't feel that much difference. I still feel the M235 is a more realistic replacement for the 335i rather than the 135i, with the extra size and refinement. To be honest if I had closed my eyes I could have been in a 3 Series or even 5 Series.
If I wanted that feeling, I'd just buy one of those.

As a consequence, it didn't put a grin on my face the same way that my first drive of a E82 135i did.

I won't be buying one.
      03-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #30
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
I thought the steering was woeful. Way over assisted at slow speed, and no feel at all. Yes, the rack ratio is quick, and therefore gives an impression of being sporty and pointy, but there was no feel there.
Spot on.

I'm not sure why everyone is expecting to be different. It is the same horrid unit that is found in the rest of the F gen cars.
      03-17-2014, 02:26 AM   #31
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHoustonman View Post
Given this, I can't help but wonder if BMW could have made the 1-series handle equally well with non-RFT tires (PSS seem to work wonders)
After reading many rave reviews about the M235i I keep wondering the same thing. I wished BMW would of given the 135i a non-runflat setup, would of worked wonders.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #32
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Drove a 435Msport 8speed on Sat.

Did not think the DCT was clearly superior, it just feels a little different sort of depends on what you are used to much like the electric steering.

In Sport+ mode it should get around any road course without any problem since it was faster around VIR's 4.1 mile course than the DCT. The current "slushbox" is superior to the DCT at the drag strip so I would not think twice about getting one. In fact I am getting one.

Regardless they are both superior to the 6MT even though the MT is a fun ride.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #33
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yea...I only have a 128 sprt pkg and went to test drive the 235.....walked out with a pen'd order

Mineral Grey Metallic
Red Coral Leather
Auto
Premium pkg
Tech pkg
Cold Weather pkg
Harman/Kardon audio

Bam!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #34
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Honestly, the M235i for me is a very nice car but it's not that huge of a step up compared to a 330ci ZHP (e46) and a 335i (N54/N55). If I am already driving a 135i/is, I would not really upgrade to the M235i. Yes, I accept it as an upgrade.

- M235i has better looking front end.
- It has prettier brakes
- Much better factory tires (RFTs vs PSS)...Tires help with A LOT (braking, cornering, acceleration, etc.)
- EPS feels odd but it's not extremely bad. In terms of feedback, it's decent. In weighting, it's pretty bad but that apparently has been fixed here. Also, 1er steering is exceptionally heavily weighted for today's cars.
- 135i/is stock suspension is tuned to run RFTs. M235i is tuned for either.
- Speaking of suspension, M235i must have a VASTLY superior suspension if the claim about it competing against the 1M around a track is true. I don't have a link but I've read it all over.
- As for DCT vs 8AT, the DCT is superior in most cases. DCT is just more ROBUST on both upshift and downshift. DCT has one less too many gears. For me, 8 gears is too much when driving hard. It's 6 speed where it's at. However, I would rather daily the 8AT because DCT is too robust to DD. Jerking here and there if you're not careful.

Lastly, the M235i should be compared to the 135is seeing how they still applied the PPK(2) on the car. (If 435i is still 300hp stock, then M235i must have a ppk or something similar.)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #35
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
The I drive screen looks like an after thought. It looks like they had finished and some engineer attached a tablet computer to the top of the dash.
This Is The Worst New Trend In Car Interior Design
http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-wors...ign-1564314503
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #36
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

Any1 driven the new A class and the M235i, wondering if BMW steering has as much road feel as the A classes.
      04-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #37
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I have Michelin PSS on my 135. I didn't look at the tires on the M235 sorry! However, I did go over a few bumps and man hole covers that the M235 absorbed nicely so I would guess it had Michelin PSS. My runflats used to transmit a loud "bang" thru the car over manholes or pot holes...I didn't get any of that with the 235.

Are you running stock tires or some other size?
      04-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #38
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Yea...I only have a 128 sprt pkg and went to test drive the 235.....walked out with a pen'd order

Mineral Grey Metallic
Red Coral Leather
Auto
Premium pkg
Tech pkg
Cold Weather pkg
Harman/Kardon audio

Bam!
downgrade, IMO. you should have just driven a 135is first. you can get one for $8k off sticker brand new for remaining stock and it is JUST as fast, lighter, and with real steering....and it doesn't have a slushbox automatic.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #39
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post

Mineral Grey Metallic
Red Coral Leather
Auto
Premium pkg
Tech pkg
Cold Weather pkg
Harman/Kardon audio

Bam!
Congratulations! I think you're gonna love it! Good choice in color... although I am a bit partial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
downgrade, IMO. you should have just driven a 135is first. you can get one for $8k off sticker brand new for remaining stock and it is JUST as fast, lighter, and with real steering....and it doesn't have a slushbox automatic.
I'm running PSSs on my car, so I have trouble convincing myself that I missed out by ordering the 135is instead of waiting for the M235i. I haven't driven the M235i yet, so I should probably reserve final judgement until then.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #40
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Well, I have decided to go a different route altogether. I have driven the M235i auto, but not the manual one yet. I do think the M234i is a very nice car, and all things being equal, I "might" have stepped up the plate on a M235i 6MT.

BUT, I did not do that. Firstly, it would cost me in the area of $20 to $25K Cdn all in to go to the M235i. That is a lot of $ for the upgrades the M235i does have. I am not feeling particularly "spendy" right now, as I am just retired and the M235i would truly fall into the "luxury" class of expenditure for me. Getting the M235i would not, IMO, feel like as big of a step up as one would hope to get for over $20k extra $.

However, I am older, have had 17 BMWs; yet want a car that is fun to drive for my toy (we have another car for long distance trips etc). So, decided to get something I also wanted to try. Ordered a new MINI Cooper S (F56) 6MT to come end of June or so. The "S" has the B48 BMW modular 2.0L engine with 189hp and 207lbft (221lbft on overrun). I am aware of MINIs spotty track record for reliability, but now have the time to deal with issues.
MINIs are super fun cars, and the new Gen 3 model has corrected many of the past shortcomings. The money issue is virtually flat, with me having to write a very small check.

I'm looked forward to having a blast with the MCS for about 2 or 3 years. By then, either I will become super practical and just have one car in the family, or I might get really crazy and check out the then-new M2. Who knows?

So, I not leaving the BMW family, but just going a different route inside it.

04-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #41
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Effort /= Feel.

I certainly agree it feels like the current Cayman S, but I would not see that as a compliment. I thought both were fairly lifeless, and nothing like the ever so feelsome E36 M3.
I got to say that this is exactly what I was thinking! And I did a good test drive of the new Boxster S. The steering was the biggest issue in that car for me. I hope new M3's set up will be much different.

On the E36 anology; arguably I might be driving the best hydraulic set up (1M) among modern BMWs and E36 was still better imho.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #42
ManCityFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Lol....just to add some balance here. Thanks in part to IEDEI's tireless campaigning for the 1er, I felt that I had to drive one before pulling the trigger on a 235 (or other) to replace my evo. So I took a local 135i for spin and...was disappointed. I was surprised by the amount of harshness, body roll and understeer. Just didn't feel as well sorted as the 235i? Also seemed like it had a bit more turbo lag? Steering was more similar than different imo...neither has a ton of road feel. Anyway, both are deffo great cars but I prefer the 235.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #43
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Are you running stock tires or some other size?
225 out front and 255 in rear
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #44
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
- Speaking of suspension, M235i must have a VASTLY superior suspension if the claim about it competing against the 1M around a track is true. I don't have a link but I've read it all over.
To be honest, I still think this comes down (mostly) to tires. From what I've read, the geometry of the M235's suspension, particularly in front, is not markedly different from that on a stock 135i. No comparison to the M3 components and geometry in the 1M.
Appreciate 0