BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #45
YYC135
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i SGM

+1 here.

I pick up my 135 SGM (w/ MSport and Perf) on Wednesday. I have scheduled it for the Stage 2 Dinan re-map for the first week of July.

What kind of tires are you guys running it? I'm not expecting the run flats to last very long ...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #46
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Hi guys,

Gonna resurrect this thread.

I'm thinking about a 135i and am wondering what it is like in Calgary winters (with good winter tires, of course). Sounds like a few of you park it for the winter. For those of you driving in winter, how is the car?

Also, where can you get the Dinan tune in Calgary and anyone know what it is worth? Does BMW still honour the warranty with this tune (I've heard conflicting stories)?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #47
radorotrex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Cabrio / 08 M3 Sedan

I wrote an email asking BMW Canada if they still honor the warranty if I used the Dinan flash.... They said:

"In accordance with our warranty policies, the BMW Warranty will not apply to a vehicle that has been modified or has had any performance accessories or components attached to it which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which results or may result in damage to the other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks and wind noise. BMW Canada does not warranty components that can be altered or compromised by installing Dinan Products."

This was copied directly from the email they sent me on May 20, 2009. Things may have changed so you should check yourself. Of course this is exactly the opposite of what the local dealers are saying. IMO what they would do if something was bad to happen to your engine due to the upgrade they would just reflash the ecu and turn the car back to stock and then contact BMW Canada for warranty work. Thats all good but what happens if the dealership changes hands or a new supervisor gets hired?

This is just MY OWN OPINION and I'm not saying they are doing this either.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #48
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by radorotrex View Post
I wrote an email asking BMW Canada if they still honor the warranty if I used the Dinan flash.... They said:

"In accordance with our warranty policies, the BMW Warranty will not apply to a vehicle that has been modified or has had any performance accessories or components attached to it which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which results or may result in damage to the other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks and wind noise. BMW Canada does not warranty components that can be altered or compromised by installing Dinan Products."

This was copied directly from the email they sent me on May 20, 2009. Things may have changed so you should check yourself. Of course this is exactly the opposite of what the local dealers are saying. IMO what they would do if something was bad to happen to your engine due to the upgrade they would just reflash the ecu and turn the car back to stock and then contact BMW Canada for warranty work. Thats all good but what happens if the dealership changes hands or a new supervisor gets hired?

This is just MY OWN OPINION and I'm not saying they are doing this either.
BMW Canada has never warranteed damage resulting from Dinan or any other aftermarket modification. In the case of Dinan, it is Dinan that pays for the warranty work if required because of their modifications. What might make it a little confusing to some is that it just so happens that the BMW dealerships are also the Dinan dealers. As far as you're concerned its all the same, if your car requires warranty work because of the Dinan chip, you take it to the Dinan dealer aka the BMW dealership and they fix it. Who ultimately covers the warranty work is between the dealer, BMW Canada, and Dinan, and in most cases if all goes well this stuff going on behind the scenes shouldn't really matter.
      06-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #49
radorotrex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
BMW Canada has never warranteed damage resulting from Dinan or any other aftermarket modification. In the case of Dinan, it is Dinan that pays for the warranty work if required because of their modifications. What might make it a little confusing to some is that it just so happens that the BMW dealerships are also the Dinan dealers. As far as you're concerned its all the same, if your car requires warranty work because of the Dinan chip, you take it to the Dinan dealer aka the BMW dealership and they fix it. Who ultimately covers the warranty work is between the dealer, BMW Canada, and Dinan, and in most cases if all goes well this stuff going on behind the scenes shouldn't really matter.

That makes sence..... but what happens when there is a disagreement between Dinan and BMW?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #50
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by radorotrex View Post
That makes sence..... but what happens when there is a disagreement between Dinan and BMW?
Yeah thats a good question. My thoughts are that would be a battle the dealer would try and sort out for you, but who knows. If its warranty work then the dealer does the work and is then paid by Dinan or BMW Canada so I'd assume that they'd be the ones caught in the middle not you. But these things are never quite so cut and dry.
      06-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #51
radorotrex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So while BMW and Dinan are battling it out your 1er is sitting in the shop for who knows how long because I don't see the dealer fronting the bill first in case no one owns up to it...... I honestly don't think you woud have an issue with the Dinan upgrade but I'd rather do the JB3 and spend the extra 2g's on parts.....

But if something did happened... personally how I see it the dealer would call Dinan first and let them know the issue. Dinan would say "that's covered by BMW..... but can you take off our flash and clear the codes before you contact BMW Canada?" LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #52
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Interesting points. Dinan would still be nice just cause you don't have to worry about 'taking stuff off' for a trip to the dealer.

Any comments on driveablity in Calgary winters?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #53
radorotrex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

What is your worry about winter driving in the 1er? too low? rwd? rusting?

If you think its too low I drove my S2000 all year round and loved it. Even when we had huge dumps of snow I was still able to get around. The snow doesn't really get piled up that high on the city roads. If it is really bad its not just you that won't be driving.... the city will pretty much be shut down in that case.

If your worry is it being a rwd.... Too bad there is a misconception of fwd or awd vehicals only capable of winter driving because all you need is a set of winter tires. You will not get stuck with winter tires in the city. I have seen awd vehicals stuck because they are running all season tires. Its all about the tires. My S2000 was so fun in the winters...

If its about rusting then you should already know what to do.....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #54
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

main concern is high torque/horsepower and rear wheel drive. I know rear wheel drive can be fine in the winter, in fact i've done it many winters back in the day with my 5.0L mustangs. That said just looking for some comforting words...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #55
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
main concern is high torque/horsepower and rear wheel drive. I know rear wheel drive can be fine in the winter, in fact i've done it many winters back in the day with my 5.0L mustangs. That said just looking for some comforting words...
Nothing to worry about with driveability in Calgary winters. Just get a good set of winters on 17s and you'll be fine. I had 18s for winter, the only reason I'd caution against them is that snow has a funny way of hiding potholes, one of which cost me a tire.

But I drove mine all through winter and took it out to Sunshine and Louise on more than a couple occasions and had no issues even in some pretty shit weather. The RWD and torque aren't the issues, its the driver and the tires that have to be sharp.