BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #67
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantCraik View Post
When you fitted the hard motorsport trunk filler plate did you delete the evap canister and dmtl pump?
No sir. Had the shop mount it to the underside of the trunk filler plate. I'm not ready to smell gasoline fumes in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #68
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Been a while! Dropped the car off at the shop at the beginning of March to get some work done. Part of the list was as follows:

- Swap transmission fluid with supplied Redline D6
- swap differential fluid with supplied Redline 75w90
- swap power steering fluid with supplied pentosin chf
- change engine oil with supplied motul synthetic
- install supplied Turner Motorsport rear subframe bushings
- install supplied revshift transmission bushings
- install supplied berk technology midpipes
- modify and install hard motorsport rear trunk cover. Fabricate bracket to mount charcoal canister
- review and advise condition of fuel filler neck in passenger rear wheel well. Replace? -> Tire rubbed on fuel filler neck and chewed away at it real bad. Didn't cause any spills tho.
- blast engine bay with compressed air
- fabrication of HVAC blower and AC hard-line block off plates on firewall
- Fabrication of center exit axle back center exit exhaust. Exhaust to exit right below structural bumper. To be fabricated high enough to allow for future diffuser.
- welding of 2" vertical extensions onto chassis brackets for rear wing uprights. Purpose is to install one more Clevis pin on each side
- fabrication of removable block off plate for cowl area

Took a stab at making my own front splitter out of 3/4" plywood. It came out decent. Coupled with the ebay front lip /w brake duct openings, it'll tie in nicely. Will post finalized pics when its done.

Also had the car corner balanced and weighed. With an empty tank and no driver, it came in at 2937lbs. Not bad!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #69
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Battle ready.

Hoping to complete the shakedown sometime this week.

The wrap job on this car is hurting so bad and is accentuated by the fail of the placement of the //M stripes on the hood. But at this point, I'm riding it out for the season as I'm out of wrap and tapped out in patience to redo it.

Time to drive!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #70
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlueStreakx View Post
Battle ready.

The wrap job on this car is hurting so bad and is accentuated by the fail of the placement of the //M stripes on the hood. But at this point, I'm riding it out for the season as I'm out of wrap and tapped out in patience to redo it.

Time to drive!
Looking aggressive - like it
      07-30-2017, 05:16 PM   #71
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Quote:
Battle ready.

Time to drive!
Looking aggressive - like it
Would love to know more about how you mounted the splitter. I used the 2 under body mounting brackets that right in front of the oil pan + 10 points along the bumper. Still feel like I could use more, filmed the splitter at 100mph and saw solid deflection and bending with that much load.
      08-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #72
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Would love to know more about how you mounted the splitter. I used the 2 under body mounting brackets that right in front of the oil pan + 10 points along the bumper. Still feel like I could use more, filmed the splitter at 100mph and saw solid deflection and bending with that much load.
I have aluminum brackets coming down from the bumper beam that bolt into a brace on the splitter itself out front. In the back, I have a C channel that the splitter slots into.

I also fabricated wire splitter stanchions to prevent the splitter from sagging at speed in front of the main brace. The splitter doesn't attach to the plastic bumper at all; its all chassis mounted.

I'll try to snap some photos this weekend of the setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #73
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have aluminum brackets coming down from the bumper beam that bolt into a brace on the splitter itself out front. In the back, I have a C channel that the splitter slots into.

I also fabricated wire splitter stanchions to prevent the splitter from sagging at speed in front of the main brace. The splitter doesn't attach to the plastic bumper at all; its all chassis mounted.

I'll try to snap some photos this weekend of the setup.
Would love that. I picked up some aluminum to build brackets to more securely mount the splitter.

Shoot me some pics if you don't mind.
      08-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #74
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Would love that. I picked up some aluminum to build brackets to more securely mount the splitter.

No problem.

Tracking season makes for slow updates!

Some noteable things:
- Managed a 1:31.28 at Canadian Tire Motorsports park. That's on par with the IMSA Continental Tire ST class; part of their tour comes to my home track. There are large differences in chassis builds but the lap times are similar nonetheless.
- Had an off at another local track last Wednesday and ripped the splitter off the chassis mounts. Damaged a radiator support bracket in addition to destroying the splitter. Ended up spending the following days hustling up a new splitter for a time attack event the following Sunday July 31.

Some photos:
- First one is me taking turn 4 at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (CTMP) Grand Prix Track flat out at 190KM/h. Entry is WOT. Just after turn in, there is a hump then the track drops around 30 feet while turning left. The rear end gets light and shifts about 6-12" over. As long as you don't lift, the aero keeps the car planted the whole way through. Its pretty wild.
- Second photo is at the CTMP Driver Development Track. Its much smaller and slower than the Grand Prix track. This was the Time Attack event; the Subaru behind me is 2 classes higher and ran me down about 3 turns later. Its wicked fast.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #75
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No problem.

Tracking season makes for slow updates!

Some noteable things:
- Managed a 1:31.28 at Canadian Tire Motorsports park. That's on par with the IMSA Continental Tire ST class; part of their tour comes to my home track. There are large differences in chassis builds but the lap times are similar nonetheless.
- Had an off at another local track last Wednesday and ripped the splitter off the chassis mounts. Damaged a radiator support bracket in addition to destroying the splitter. Ended up spending the following days hustling up a new splitter for a time attack event the following Sunday July 31.

Some photos:
- First one is me taking turn 4 at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (CTMP) Grand Prix Track flat out at 190KM/h. Entry is WOT. Just after turn in, there is a hump then the track drops around 30 feet while turning left. The rear end gets light and shifts about 6-12" over. As long as you don't lift, the aero keeps the car planted the whole way through. Its pretty wild.
- Second photo is at the CTMP Driver Development Track. Its much smaller and slower than the Grand Prix track. This was the Time Attack event; the Subaru behind me is 2 classes higher and ran me down about 3 turns later. Its wicked fast.
Car looks great! Wish you were local for a better time reference but the ST class comparison helps and it sounds like you're getting quick. Love the car!!

Hope the splitter, bumper etc are okay.
      08-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #76
GoodMoodley
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i Pure Stg 2, 15' 228i

Turn 4 is my favorite.
Past: 1979 RX-7, 1980 Civic, 1989 B2200 lowrider, 1990 Golf GT, 1995 Civic Si Turbo, 2000 Civic SiR, 2000 328i, 2003 540i M-Sport, 2008 Rabbit, 2014 Pilot, 2002 A4 1.8T, 2009 A4 2.0T Quattro, 2017 CR-V Touring 2020 CR-V Touring

Current: 2012 135i, 2015 228i x-Drive, 2023 CR-V Touring Hybrid
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #77
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Still here!

Season has been over for me since September. Didn't take long for me to tear into it in preparation for 2018.

Started off by thinning out the wiring harness some more at the PJB. Went a little too aggressive and now the car cranks for about 3 seconds before firing and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Troubleshooting electrical is going to be fun... Put this aside for now.

In the mean time, I decided to go hella wide for next year. Enter Apex 19x11 PS7s. I went with 19s as I can only get 305 RE71Rs in 19". This will allow me to still run a street tire in the class I want to compete in next year.

I'll be ordering fender flares soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #78
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Oops. After I posted, I realized I did some other work...

For the sake of aero improvement, I went down to one oil cooler behind the kidney grill. The duct openings on the bumper will be covered off. Hard to say whether this single Setrab unit will keep me from going into limp mode.

My hunch says I'll be fine but I'm just firing from the hip at this point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #79
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Looking good! What fender flares are you going with? N5tuner rear like the Solo car?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #80
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:

For the sake of aero improvement, I went down to one oil cooler behind the kidney grill. The duct openings on the bumper will be covered off. Hard to say whether this single Setrab unit will keep me from going into limp mode.

Holy mechanical grip batman. That's a lot of rubber.
      11-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #81
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Looking good! What fender flares are you going with? N5tuner rear like the Solo car?
I wanted to go with the N5Tuner rear but I couldn't bring myself to spend $600 for the rears alone. Need to tack on ~30% for the Canadian dollar plus taxes and we're looking at $1,000 easily. No thanks!

I'm working on something. Stay tuned.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #82
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
I wanted to go with the N5Tuner rear but I couldn't bring myself to spend $600 for the rears alone. Need to tack on ~30% for the Canadian dollar plus taxes and we're looking at $1,000 easily. No thanks!

I'm working on something. Stay tuned.

Quote:
PM me your idea for the rears. I'm ordering the 1M front this month and need to figure out what I'm doing in the rear.

The OEM rear quarters seem like a nice option because they look better and I think you'd gain some resale value back although once the cage is in that's out the window lol
      11-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #83
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:

I like this idea, I would LOVE to block off the bumper grills for aero sake. Maybe some sort of underbody ducting and mount the oil cooler somewhere else. Im scared to block off the radiator.

Have you run he car with a single core oil cooler in front of the radiator?
      11-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #84
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
PM me your idea for the rears. I'm ordering the 1M front this month and need to figure out what I'm doing in the rear.

The OEM rear quarters seem like a nice option because they look better and I think you'd gain some resale value back although once the cage is in that's out the window lol
I'll be running aftermarket fender flares; I won't get into specifics at this point. My research (looking at alot of photos, haha) has me thinking it'll look pretty good.

Resale value is definitely not a consideration when you're in this deep. Things like "what can I take an angle grinder to for weight reduction" tend to take priority. Ha.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #85
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'll be running aftermarket fender flares; I won't get into specifics at this point. My research (looking at alot of photos, haha) has me thinking it'll look pretty good.

Resale value is definitely not a consideration when you're in this deep. Things like "what can I take an angle grinder to for weight reduction" tend to take priority. Ha.
Yeah my cage is being built right now (I'm going to start with bolt in and then go full 6/8 point in future). I'll likely drive this car into the ground so the N5tuner ones looks like a decent option. Or some custom sheet metal hahaha. Square 285s
      11-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #86
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Oil cooler looks nice and big. Any additional information on the core you went with and how you mounted it to the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #87
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Oil cooler looks nice and big. Any additional information on the core you went with and how you mounted it to the car?
I went with the Setrab 50-925-7612. Ideally, I would've preferred something around 20" wide (endtanks included) as my measurements showed it would fit. That was not available through Setrab tho.

The top was mounted to the rad support (all openings at the top of the rad support were covered off to force air through the radiator) and on the rad shrouding /w 90* aluminum brackets.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #88
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
I went with the Setrab 50-925-7612. Ideally, I would've preferred something around 20" wide (endtanks included) as my measurements showed it would fit. That was not available through Setrab tho.

The top was mounted to the rad support (all openings at the top of the rad support were covered off to force air through the radiator) and on the rad shrouding /w 90* aluminum brackets.
Thanks! You use any sort of rubber for vibration? I have read conflicting information on the need to dampen vibration to the cooler. Some say it helps with performance and longevity of the cooler. Iirc the oe cooler mounts to the body with a sort of rubber washer with metal insert.

What size lines did you go with?
Appreciate 0