BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
SimPar
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E82 2012

BMW 135i 2012 headlights

Hi everyone, I just picked up my new beemer. However I noticed something strange with the headlights. I am unable to light up the 2 big globes in the center (between the center grille and the bi-xenon projectors) except for its angel eyes as you can see in the picture below. Is it supposed to light up? If so what bulb is in there as I'd replace it with a cob led? It's unfortenaly too cold here (-30celcius) and I don't have any access to a garage to work on this. Thank you so much
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

The inner are supposed to light up if your vehicles has got the adaptive headlights S552A option. If not, then they are just dummies.

The lights in the photo are adaptive.
      02-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
SimPar
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
The inner are supposed to light up if your vehicles has got the adaptive headlights S552A option. If not, then they are just dummies.

Mine are adaptative as well, they move by themselves. So which position should the car be (i mean the lights lever) to light the inner globes? And what bulb is in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimPar
Quote:

Mine are adaptative as well, they move by themselves. So which position should the car be (i mean the lights lever) to light the inner globes? And what bulb is in it.
All the way to the left, Auto position.

H3 12V 55W

You should read the manual.
      02-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

AHL's...

non AHL xenons...
Name:  headlights non AHL.jpg
Views: 2851
Size:  97.2 KB

AHL xenons...
Name:  headlights ahl  ___IMG_3649.jpg
Views: 7216
Size:  84.0 KB

On cars with AHL... those inner opaque lens only light up when your headlight switch is set in AUTO and you turn the steering wheel left or right... that respective lens will light up for a few seconds. BOTH lens will light up also when your car is in reverse.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
SimPar
Canada
Rep

Quote:
All the way to the left, Auto position.

H3 12V 55W

You should read the manual.
Thanks for all your help, I was asking for this as the car came with no manual and the only BMW dealership in town was giving me all kinds of different information. So I managed to pop open the back housing and the left headlight but I unable to locate the bulb you are talking about. Take a look at the picture below, I see on the right side the H8 bulb, for the angel eyes (that I will be replacing with a cree led) and on the left the D1S xenon bulb that I won't touch. The one in the middle bugs me out, I also want my inner globe to light up white, I can't stand yellow or orange color! Thank for everything again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimPar View Post
Thanks for all your help, I was asking for this as the car came with no manual and the only BMW dealership in town was giving me all kinds of different information. So I managed to pop open the back housing and the left headlight but I unable to locate the bulb you are talking about. Take a look at the picture below, I see on the right side the H8 bulb, for the angel eyes (that I will be replacing with a cree led) and on the left the D1S xenon bulb that I won't touch. The one in the middle bugs me out, I also want my inner globe to light up white, I can't stand yellow or orange color! Thank for everything again
Be very careful with those headlight bulb covers... many people don't get the covers back on fully... then water gets into the headlights and you end up burning up the ballast/ecu to the tune of $800 per side.

You can also increase the AE bulb brightness by using "coding" like with BMW Carly(I think?). But that won't get rid of the "yellow-ish" color of the AE's. But for me it was the safer way of getting brighter AE's.

PS: Here you can find the owners manual on line from BMW USA...

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...modelcode=1122
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

The h8s also light the inner globe
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimPar View Post
Looks like it will be even harder than changing the H8 angel eye bulbs.

TBh, I wouldn't bother doing it. No one is ever gonna see them in action and it's not like it's a piss yellow light either.

Instead, spend the time and money on changing the orange turn signal bulbs to silver and coding Euro AHL settings.
Attached Images

02-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
SimPar
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Instead, spend the time and money on changing the orange turn signal bulbs to silver and coding Euro AHL settings.
Already ordered my cree led pure white for it, getting the headlights wrapped in neo-chrome this way the orange corner will dissapear. But how do you do the Euro coding you're mentioning?

Thank you very much
Appreciate 0