BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #111
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Of course it wouldn't be worth it NOW that there is a 1M. We are the reason there IS a 1M. We started swapping M3 parts (HPA), we started turning the boost up (Terry/Shiv). We asked for the widebody kit. (E/R) We built the equivalent of the 1M before they (bmw) probably even thought about it.

Now, since there is a 1M, of course it's a better idea to buy that for 48k instead of buying the 135i and trying to make it as nimble as the 1M. But for us that already own (and have modded) the 1er's of yore, it's just too small of a gap to buy a brand new 1M @ MSRP.

I love how the thread started with a clear goal statement: stock 1M vs tuned 135i.
Now we are talking about suspension and price points for building the 1M. Hahaha.

We definitely aren't busy enough right now. We all have great cars.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #112
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Of course it wouldn't be worth it NOW that there is a 1M. We are the reason there IS a 1M. We started swapping M3 parts (HPA), we started turning the boost up (Terry/Shiv). We asked for the widebody kit. (E/R) We built the equivalent of the 1M before they (bmw) probably even thought about it.

Now, since there is a 1M, of course it's a better idea to buy that for 48k instead of buying the 135i and trying to make it as nimble as the 1M. But for us that already own (and have modded) the 1er's of yore, it's just too small of a gap to buy a brand new 1M @ MSRP.

I love how the thread started with a clear goal statement: stock 1M vs tuned 135i.
Now we are talking about suspension and price points for building the 1M. Hahaha.

Well said as usual HGR
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #113
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mer View Post
Nothing wrong with the N54 (aside from the historic Fuel Pump reliability). I'd settle for a BMW sanctioned Perforamnce Upgrade for the 1M.

Remember this? - I think it's coming...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457707
I have not followed the hpfp drama as close lately as I liked. Where are we at? Current line-up is using more and more of turbo technology, while N54 phased out to N55 has the new engine resolved so assumed culprit, hpfp?
      05-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #114
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Well said as usual HGR

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #115
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

HGR did a good job clarifying what I was trying to say.
      05-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #116
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
How do you know they exist if you don't even know what they are?
Quote:
There are no changes. I don't mean to come off like an asshole. Sorry. I just have not seen one thing written with facts to back it up that states a difference in the intake.
Quote:
Not that I have seen as far as the intake goes. It is the same. And The exhaust is a bit different, but it isn't likely to add any power what so ever. In any case, neither one of them are the power plant.
".....the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder unit mounted longitudinally up front is the same as that found in the Z4 sDrive35is, save for some fine-tuning of the inlet manifold and exhaust system..." INSIDELINE May 2, 2011

I would say, how do you know they are the same? Just because YOU say so? Or just because you look at the outside appearance of the engine in a side by side picture? Any changes to the inlet manifold would not be evident by outward appearance obviously.

I am not saying I am certain there is a definite difference between the 1M and the 335i but you should cool your jets a bit until you know for certain. It is mentioned in several publications so I leave the possibility that there might be some minor differences.
      05-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #117
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post

Its not just the cost of the mods, those with 135s have to factor in the difference between the selling price of their 135 and purchase price of the 1M. That could be another 15-35k depending.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #118
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Right, I thought I conveyed that, my bad.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #119
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
".....the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder unit mounted longitudinally up front is the same as that found in the Z4 sDrive35is, save for some fine-tuning of the inlet manifold and exhaust system..." INSIDELINE May 2, 2011

I would say, how do you know they are the same? Just because YOU say so? Or just because you look at the outside appearance of the engine in a side by side picture? Any changes to the inlet manifold would not be evident by outward appearance obviously.

I am not saying I am certain there is a definite difference between the 1M and the 335i but you should cool your jets a bit until you know for certain. It is mentioned in several publications so I leave the possibility that there might be some minor differences.

Cool my jets? LMAO!
      05-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #120
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post

Cool my jets? LMAO!
That's it? That's your response? I had a feeling you couldn't come back with an intelligent response to the point i was making in my post. You did not disappoint.
      05-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #121
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Well, you did quote inside line, so I based my response accordingly.
      05-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #122
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Also from inside line:
Approximately forever ago we learned the 2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe would use a version of BMW's N54 engine (no, not the newer, single-turbo N55). This is the twin-turbocharged and direct-injected 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder that we liked so much in our long-term 135i.

In any case I believe that they are talking about in inlet for the Z4 being different, which it very much is. In any case I'm not the one getting all torn up over this, and I'm not going to. If you can show me a part number difference or a physical
Photograph, and not a quote from a magazine then of course I'm going to assume it's the same. I have nothing showing me otherwise at this point other than people calling me names on the Internet.
      05-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #123
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

Quote:
I know the pistons are different than what is in a N55. That's for sure. I just don't think they are different than any other forged N54 piston. I mean, these pistons are pretty dang good.

Edit: read, I just saw pistons on the post I quoted, missed rings all together. Rings are very possible. That is an easy change that could have been for many reasons. Different manufacturer, etc, etc.
i once dated identical twins....one had perfect teeth and the other could eat an apple through a tennis racket ....but hey,they were identical...hehehe
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #124
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Look, I'm not here to make enemies, more am I saying that the 1-series M isn't a better car than the 135i. I'm just not going to jump up and down in my seat to say that the engine is anything other than what it is until PROOF shows me otherwise.
      05-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #125
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Look, I'm not here to make enemies, more am I saying that the 1-series M isn't a better car than the 135i. I'm just not going to jump up and down in my seat to say that the engine is anything other than what it is until PROOF shows me otherwise.
you meen you're NOT saying the 1m is a better car...?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #126
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

LOL, stupid iPhone...nor, not more..

Freudian slip
      05-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #127
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
The 1M is simply a better 135i....and that is what it was intended to be...but it isn't better enough for many people that own tuned 135i's to trade/sell their cars for it. I think the OP wrote his question for this very reason....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #128
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

1M vs 135i .........engines aside,how many laps around a technical course would it take to bring out each of these two amigos strenghts and weakness' to justify paying extra for a factory built M car with a warranty etc etc ....even with similar acceleration numbers it's a no brainer for me 1M all the way.......I can sprint just as fast as my dog right up untill i'm winded like an old stripper....but i can still run as fast as the dog for 100 feet if you"ll let me rest for 20 minutes after each blitz..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #129
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBIMMER View Post
1M vs 135i .........engines aside,how many laps around a technical course would it take to bring out each of these two amigos strenghts and weakness' to justify paying extra for a factory built M car with a warranty etc etc ....even with similar acceleration numbers it's a no brainer for me 1M all the way.......I can sprint just as fast as my dog right up untill i'm winded like an old stripper....but i can still run as fast as the dog for 100 feet if you"ll let me rest for 20 minutes after each blitz..
Did you even read what I wrote? Let me quote myself for you:

Quote:
The 1M is simply a better 135i....and that is what it was intended to be...but it isn't better enough for many people that own tuned 135i's to trade/sell their cars for it. I think the OP wrote his question for this very reason....
See the highlighted portion??? I have many laps around the track in my tuned 135i with zero limp modes, zero HPFP replacements, zero real problems....could I use a bit more suspension tuning? Yes...but it is dollars to donuts compared to me buying a brand-new 1M just for that....not everyone has a large amount of disposable income....for those of us that don't keep our existing tuned cars it is a no-brainer....almost EVERYONE that gives your lame argument have either A. Disposable income or B. Never owned a 135i, let alone a tuned one.....

Last edited by adrean8j; 05-13-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #130
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Better question. How many of the 1-Series M Coupe's will be driven as intended?
      05-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #131
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

My perfect 1M would be basically the same thing, but with a real S motor. Preferably a NA 3.2L with 12.5:1CR, direct injection, and aggressive cams making around 300-320hp on pump gas, rev to around 8,200 rpm and weigh an even 3,000 LBs. Then I would be really excited about it.

You can't tell at all that my first Bimmer was an E30 can you...?
      05-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #132
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did you even read what I wrote? Let me quote myself for you:

See the highlighted portion??? I have many laps around the track in my tuned 135i with zero limp modes, zero HPFP replacements, zero real problems....could I use a bit more suspension tuning? Yes...but it is dollars to donuts compared to me buying a brand-new 1M just for that....not everyone has a large amount of disposable income....for those of us that don't keeping our existing tuned cars is a no-brainer....almost EVERYONE that gives your lame argument have either A. Disposable income or B. Never owned a 135i, let alone a tuned one.....
unless you bought your 135 used and spent only kids money on fluff upgrades, its rather easy to nudge a well loaded 135's price to the 1m's....allbeit in a timely streched out manner
Appreciate 0