BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
ahfunaki
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
Cut outs always leak in the long run. At least the electronic ones do.
A slightly leaky cutout would still be better than running an open downpipe all the time, lol...

2010 Mazdaspeed3 for now. Hopefully a 135i in the near future...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #24
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

God save me for bumping such an old thread but I did this myself today. Didn't really plan on it, took my undertray off to find a coolant leak and noticed HOW EASY it would be to run the downpipe open. I've been looking to cut up my exaust into a straight pipe so taking it off the car now saves me time tomorrow when I start working on it.

The car actually isn't that loud, especially under power. It's definitely a lot quieter than my K04 Jetta w/ open dump although that car boosts 20+ psi with some aggressive timing. HOWEVER, there is an AWFUL resonance inside the car under throttle that is really loud...it diminishes slightly with open windows and sunroof. I'm hoping that having all my sound waves blasted out the back of the car instead of down at the ground will reduce this effect when I install the straight pipe.

It shouldn't be a problem to run the car this way until I get my exhaust back on, only issue is exhaust fumes getting into the cabin if I have to sit and idle for a long time, which probably won't happen.
Appreciate 0