BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Wet roads emphasize Lag?

Have about 8K miles on the 1er now, but honestly haven't really pushed her much at all, I know I know I know (either in traffic or with my wife, she yells).

Roads were wet last night, and rather slick as it hasn't rained in some time. I decided to experiment with the DTC a bit and get a better feel for the car and how to properly handle her. (MUCH better deactivated BTW, DSC keeps you out of trouble but allows the level of control and throttle steer the car deserves. Regardless, I'm just you're run-of-the-mill spirited driver, it'll stay All-Systems-Go on a daily basis.)

Anyway, I would pull off quickly, but controlled, and punch around 2K RPM. I had solid traction until 3,000 and the back end would break loose through 4,000. 1st was a little squirmy even down low as expected, but it was most noticeable in 2nd gear from a rolling start. A smooth takeoff and BAM, @3,ooo even DSC kicked in down a straight flat empty road. Assuming I'm breaking loose at the rapid onset of peak 300 torques, if BMW's torque claims were true, wouldn't I be breaking loose down around 1,500RPM?

I don't want to break open another turbo lag discussion here, but what do you guys think? This delay of traction loss correlated? Shouldn't this be occurring earlier in the power band?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Neo187H
Private
Rep
Drives:

There is no huge jump of power at approx. 3K RPM but you deff. have more power at 3k than you do at 1.5k so that could cause you to break loose as you get into higher RPMs when you wouldnt down low.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
thurst0509
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Makes sense to me.

I haven't driven my car on a wet road recently to try it the same way you described, but my butt dyno definitely feels a huge kick of power/torque almost exactly at 3000 rpm after punching the gas at 1500-2000 rpm.
      09-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Neo187H
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurst0509 View Post
Makes sense to me.

I haven't driven my car on a wet road recently to try it the same way you described, but my butt dyno definitely feels a huge kick of power/torque almost exactly at 3000 rpm after punching the gas at 1500-2000 rpm.

Ah what your noticing is the turbos spooling up, just cruising you wont be creating boost. So when you go WOT it will take a second or two for the turbos to hit full boost and give you that extra grunt.
Appreciate 0