06-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

DMS Automotive ECU Remap

I placed an enquiry and received this:-

Quote:
Thanks for the enquiry, we do indeed and one of my colleagues actually bought one which we used for the development, power is up to 386bhp and 418 lb/ft, which as you can imagine dramatically increases performance whilst still maintaining reliability. Fuel economy is about the same afterwards but you may see a slight improvement due to the additional torque.

We also remove the top speed limiter and had tested that the standard limiter cuts in at 156mph gps, with the limiter removed it was still pulling at 171mpg gps but as we were on a test track there was no further road, and should reach around 180mph.

Cost of the upgrade is £750+VAT and takes about 2 ½ hours, it can be done at our Southampton facility or if more convenient one of my colleagues could visit you to carry out the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Isn't this for the 135, i mean they talk about 418 lb/ft?

The 1M comes stock with 450
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Flipping 'eck!

I thought my current car (Lotus Exige S 260) was quick, but I think my 1M (with remap) is going to be a monster!!!!

I did speak with Superchips yesterday out of interest and they did say that nothing was in the pipeline as they had yet to see a 1M.

Do you know if DMS will be offering an exhaust as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
Isn't this for the 135, i mean they talk about 418 lb/ft?

The 1M comes stock with 450
I think you might be thinking about NM rather than lb/ft of torque.

The 1M comes with 369 lb/ft of torque or pretty much 500nm in other words.

Therefore 418 lb/ft of torque is 566nm of torque!! When you consider the current M5 produces 520nm, it kind of puts it onto perspective
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post

Therefore 418 lb/ft of torque is 566nm of torque!! When you consider the current M5 produces 520nm, it kind of puts it onto perspective

+1.

Stock, the 1M comes with 450NM (+ 50 with overboost).
Comparitive the E92 M3 stock comes with 400NM

I know DMS are expensive but i trust there work hence i enquired.
I know a few people who have used DMS for porsche/BMW remaps and they are very reputable. I would however like to see an exhaust system from these guys:-

http://www.eisenmann.co.uk/index.php

Last edited by Hotrod99; 06-15-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I spoke to the chap at DMS earlier on the phone. He confirmed that a dyno plot would be available shortly on their website with the results. However he anticipated seeing around a 45-50bhp increase and a 50 lb/ft increase in torque. Price quoted on the phone was £795.00 and carried out at their HQ.

I'll be interested to see if anyone on here gets their car remapped as I'd imagine even as standard that it's pretty quick Remapped...well that's another story!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:

Sorry have to look (glasses ) better next time
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I spoke to the chap at DMS earlier on the phone. He confirmed that a dyno plot would be available shortly on their website with the results. However he anticipated seeing around a 45-50bhp increase and a 50 lb/ft increase in torque. Price quoted on the phone was £795.00 and carried out at their HQ.

I'll be interested to see if anyone on here gets their car remapped as I'd imagine even as standard that it's pretty quick Remapped...well that's another story!!
Hey Chris - i don't suppose he advised on whether they have exhaust systems etc. in the pipeline? If the price I was quoted in the email is correct, your still looking at £900 inclusive of VAT. Seems a lot for +50HP! I'd need to drive this car at stock before i consider doing any further work.

If after ECU remap your pushing more torque then an M5 then this thing will be a weapon!

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:10 AM   #9
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post
Hey Chris - i don't suppose he advised on whether they have exhaust systems etc. in the pipeline? If the price I was quoted in the email is correct, your still looking at £900 inclusive of VAT. Seems a lot for +50HP! I'd need to drive this car at stock before i consider doing any further work.

If after ECU remap your pushing more torque then an M5 then this thing will be a weapon!

He said that they would not be doing their own in-house exhaust but did say that he could probably recommend a system from a reputable tuner.

Like you, I will wait and drive the car for a while first before deciding whether I need a remap. Plus, it's good to drive the car stock for a while in order to really appreciate the remap if and when it does finally get installed.

I do think that it'll be an absolute monster though. 46nm torque more than an M5 in such a compact car will be wild! I think as a "real world" car on the road, it's just going to be stunning, remap or not
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Just bumping this thread.

My car is booked in at DMS this Friday for it's remap

They said that they've remapped 7 1M's now and are seeing anywhere between 395-405bhp and an additional 65-70 lb/ft of torque!

I'll post up my thoughts when it's done
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #11
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Look forward to seeing your results mate (been following your thread on BabyBMW)..

Still a bit confussed as to why the 1M seems to be getting greater gains from software/flash compared to a N54 135i though?
Can anyone confirm the reason for this?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec Abuser View Post
Look forward to seeing your results mate (been following your thread on BabyBMW)..

Still a bit confussed as to why the 1M seems to be getting greater gains from software/flash compared to a N54 135i though?
Can anyone confirm the reason for this?
Not sure why the gains are greater if I'm honest, but when I spoke to Martin at DMS he said they were "shocked at the results". He said all of the remapped 1M's that he's driven have been "very very fast", so it'll be interesting to see the results.

I'll post both before and after dynos
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Guys, i was having slight amounts of ignition correction on the stock map. With the extra boost required to make additional torque and therefor power, intake air temp gets REALLY high on the stock intercooler.

Want a tune, more power and a happier motor? Invest in a high quality intercooler. Back in the day, before the engine computer would save your motor, an intercooler was always a must to keep chances of detonation low while running extra manifold pressure!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Guys, i was having slight amounts of ignition correction on the stock map. With the extra boost required to make additional torque and therefor power, intake air temp gets REALLY high on the stock intercooler.

Want a tune, more power and a happier motor? Invest in a high quality intercooler. Back in the day, before the engine computer would save your motor, an intercooler was always a must to keep chances of detonation low while running extra manifold pressure!
I've spoken to 5 tuners in the UK, all of which have said that the "mild" remaps do not require any change with regards to cooling. Apparently the 1M has better cooling than the 135i as well and also the boost levels are not being increased to levels that are even beginning to push the engine.

However I will check again with them to see what the deal is
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Just bumping this thread.

My car is booked in at DMS this Friday for it's remap

They said that they've remapped 7 1M's now and are seeing anywhere between 395-405bhp and an additional 65-70 lb/ft of torque!

I'll post up my thoughts when it's done
Interested to see the results Chris, Thinking about doing this to mine. What was the £££ ?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Quote:
I've spoken to 5 tuners in the UK, all of which have said that the "mild" remaps do not require any change with regards to cooling. Apparently the 1M has better cooling than the 135i as well and also the boost levels are not being increased to levels that are even beginning to push the engine.

However I will check again with them to see what the deal is
This will depend on the length of the pull and the ambient air temp. I have a 1M, and it was tested on a Mustang Dyne in Cobb's facility in Austin.

We saw ignition correction on the stock map. This was due mainly to hot combustion temps, and intake air temperature is a main contributing factor.

We were able to get away with a beta 18psi map by taking ignition advance from a few degrees negative to about 4° positive max. Further testing and ignition advance will be added when my charge-pipe situation is solved. Stock ignition curve goes to about 8° - 10° btdc.

More ignition advance and/or more boost could be had with decreased IATs, which is commonly solved with a higher efficiency intercooler or methanol/water injection.

Basically, the stock 1M map is pretty "hot" right out of the box, and I suggest supporting mods for anyone who goes wide open throttle for more than a few seconds at a time.

You can get away with more boost on stock parts, but the DME will constantly be fighting to keep knock at bay.

This is assuming south Texas air temps and 93 octane fuel.

Last edited by Fundahl; 11-21-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

We're way colder than Texas every day of the year here
      11-22-2011, 03:37 AM   #18
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
Interested to see the results Chris, Thinking about doing this to mine. What was the £££ ?
It's not cheap (£750) but they do come highly recommended. After my friend took his Maserati to them and said how good they were, I thought I'd pay them a visit as well
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #19
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Spoke to Rob at DMS this morning who gave me some more details on their remap.

1.) The car produces quite a bit more bhp / torque than BMW claim. The increase in bhp is not 60-70bhp, but rather around 30-40bhp. This still takes the car up to around 400bhp. He did say that all of the seven 1M's they've tuned have been between 402-405bhp.

2.) There are no issues with heat build up / limp mode unless you are running at above 140mph. However this has nothing to do with the remap as apparently even the standard car loses around 10-15bhp at these speeds.

3.) They have tested the remap on a few 1M's out in Singapore (they have a facility out there) and have run the car hard at high speeds without any problems. It is also a lot more humid out there and they have not had any issues.

4.) Rob said that the 1M was a "very fast car" and that he "loved them". He went on to say that so many people dismiss them and don't appreciate how fast they actually are. He also added that they had tested replacing the secondary and primary cats with bypass pipes, but it made very little difference in power as peak power is around 5800rpm and to get the benefit of de-catting a car, you would normally expect to see the power higher up the rev range. As you don't need to go that high, it didn't actually add much.

5.) Expected figures after the remap are 400bhp and 445 lb/ft torque.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #20
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:

All sounds pretty good and will be my map of choice when the times come, but good luck with that torque during winter

Still my concern is warranty (engine wise)........
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:13 AM   #21
Keanu111
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M4C, 2014 AW X6M

Quote:

What are those numbers at the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keanu111 View Post
What are those numbers at the wheels?
Flywheel, UK tuners generally quote / advertise all power/torque figures against manufacturers stated figures.....
Appreciate 0