BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Thumbs up [Pics+Videos]: E87 130i Drifting w/Quaife LSD at Eastern Creek Skidpan

Hey guys,

Recently got a Quaife LSD fitted to my 130i, so couldn't resist trying it out on the skidpan at Eastern Creek. The day consisted of 3 main exercises: a constant radius circle, a gymkhana course and a compilation of both. Here are the results

Vids:

Pics:

Last edited by skyscraper_g80; 07-15-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

wow looks like fun!

would love to get out to one of these events here in bris soon... but i cant help but cringe when people call sliding around in the wet drifting..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

thumbs up! good to see your 130i out there giving the girls-car stigma a kick in the butt.

which company held this event?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
thumbs up! good to see your 130i out there giving the girls-car stigma a kick in the butt.

which company held this event?
Driving Solutions- it was their stage 2 advanced driving course. Next time around, I'll go to their Drift School
      05-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
That looks FUN!!! I wish my hubby would let me put my car on the skid pan here in melbourne :-( The only reason he says no is because our skid pan is oil and water and he will be the one that will have to clean the crap off my car lol
      06-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Bwilson
ARMASPEED Seller Distribution ANZ
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i M Sports

Garage List
Awesome....Videos
So what difference do you see from before and after you installed the LSD upon the following,
Acceleration time 0-100?
1/4 mile?
Is there much interference from the dsc when you giving it hard?

Love to see both wheels spins before dsc kicks in...on a dry day...!

Great job man.
      06-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwilson View Post
Awesome....Videos
So what difference do you see from before and after you installed the LSD upon the following,
Acceleration time 0-100?
1/4 mile?
Is there much interference from the dsc when you giving it hard?

Love to see both wheels spins before dsc kicks in...on a dry day...!

Great job man.
I haven't timed any 0-100 or 1/4 mile runs with and without the LSD yet... But you get much better traction and much more controllable oversteer, especially in the wet. There's much less DSC/DTC intervention.

You can see both wheels spinning in the dry in my 'Gymkhana course' video
      07-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 07 120i M Sport

Nice drivivng!

In the initial video, you say the instructor mentions to get on the brakes if you start to get out of control..I always thought this coud be a bad thing, as it might bring the back of the car around further? What were his comments on that if you dont mind me asking?

laughing at instructor "we will show up them 200sx boys" hahaha
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_M View Post
Nice drivivng!

In the initial video, you say the instructor mentions to get on the brakes if you start to get out of control..I always thought this coud be a bad thing, as it might bring the back of the car around further? What were his comments on that if you dont mind me asking?

laughing at instructor "we will show up them 200sx boys" hahaha
The instructor was basically trying to say that if you start to lose control on the road, the safest thing to do is get on the brakes instead of trying to correct using throttle. Nearly all road cars (with the combination of ABS/ESP, and bias to the front braking force) will get back into line if you get on the brakes when you're going sideways. Of course, using the handbrake alone will bring the back of the car around further.

Haha, there was a young P-Plater there who showed up with a modded S15. Everyone called him drift boy at first, but that soon wore off as I think he got a bit scared the first instance he oversteered and noone saw him go sideways at all for the rest of the day :P
      07-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

nice... btw did u change your rear rubber? I remember you said they were only 215 or 195?

p.s next time you doing a track day let me know i will join ya =)
      07-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
nice... btw did u change your rear rubber? I remember you said they were only 215 or 195?

p.s next time you doing a track day let me know i will join ya =)
Lol I'm running the most ridiculous tyre combination atm... i have 225's on the front, a rear left 205 and a rear right 215.

My rear right used to be a 225, but i ran over a pothole last weekend and the sidewalls split- luckily they were runflats and managed to hold up! I'm borrowing the 215 atm, but have 2 new Michelin Pilot Super Sports (235's) on order to replace both rear tyres :P
      07-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #12
One_M
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 07 120i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution42 View Post
The instructor was basically trying to say that if you start to lose control on the road, the safest thing to do is get on the brakes instead of trying to correct using throttle. Nearly all road cars (with the combination of ABS/ESP, and bias to the front braking force) will get back into line if you get on the brakes when you're going sideways. Of course, using the handbrake alone will bring the back of the car around further.
That makes sense I guess. I actually did this myself the other day, it worked, I went too fast around a corner, traction was off so I was expecting it, but I just didnt grab it earlier enough..braking did straighten the car up, i was impressed, the car felt very balanced and stuck to the road...some cars Ive had in the past haven't responded anywhere near as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution42 View Post
Haha, there was a young P-Plater there who showed up with a modded S15. Everyone called him drift boy at first, but that soon wore off as I think he got a bit scared the first instance he oversteered and noone saw him go sideways at all for the rest of the day :P
Funny that, we all have to learn, a skid pan is a great place for it too...I cant wait to get mine on there, what did the day cost if you dont mind me asking, and how hard do you think it was on your tyres, despite the ground being wet? Will I chew half of my rear tyres away?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 02:59 AM   #13
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_M View Post
That makes sense I guess. I actually did this myself the other day, it worked, I went too fast around a corner, traction was off so I was expecting it, but I just didnt grab it earlier enough..braking did straighten the car up, i was impressed, the car felt very balanced and stuck to the road...some cars Ive had in the past haven't responded anywhere near as well.

Funny that, we all have to learn, a skid pan is a great place for it too...I cant wait to get mine on there, what did the day cost if you dont mind me asking, and how hard do you think it was on your tyres, despite the ground being wet? Will I chew half of my rear tyres away?
The day was a Driving Solutions Stage 2 course at $300. There are around 12 participants, and despite being advertised as a full day, it finishes around 3:15pm. You'll probably get around 20-25mins of actual skidpan time throughout the course of the day, the other time is spent waiting in the queue lol. You'll get a lot more time in the BMW Perfection Driver Training course, but that's about $2,100 :P You get to drive the E92 M3 though...check out some vids I posted on my Youtube channel (www.youtube.com/evolution42)

If you already have good car control, you're better off doing one of the "Drift School" courses they offer, but these are only held at night (5pm-9pm) at $200.

It was a fun day all up, but I was admittedly a little disappointed with how little time we got on the skidpan. Am thinking of doing an MRT skidpan day, which seems to advertise maximum on-track time quite strongly...but I enquired and Brett Middleton told me they have around 30 participants (and I wanted more track time than I got with only 12 participants)...

Your tyres will be fine.. the skidpan is polished concrete and has continuous flowing water going across it. You'll definitely wear your tyres out more on a normal track day (in the dry)
      07-29-2011, 03:43 AM   #14
One_Power
Australia
Rep
Drives: Pending

Nice vids! I've done this course too (we'll I've done stage 1 & 2 actually) and would highly recommend stage 2 to anyone, James Stewart and the guys do some great stuff with you. Lots of fun and you get to explore the limits of your car!
Appreciate 0