BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

A few more mods to my 1M

I finally got around to driving down to see Ray West (well known UK tuner) last Friday to have a few more bits done to the 1M. Ray kindly fitted my Ferodo DS2500 brake pads along with changing the brake fluid for something more “track” focussed. He also carried out his “fast road” geometry changes.

The results are quite profound. Firstly it’s fair to say that at the moment, the brakes don’t feel as sharp on the initial application, but as you depress the pedal, they are much more progressive. Ray did say that I’d probably need a good 500 miles to really bed them in. However, after a few hard braking applications on some empty roads over the weekend, they certainly feel a lot stronger. I couldn’t get the ABS to come on and you can feel the speed scrubbing off the car very quickly.

The geometry changes were also worth doing. The car now feels much more positive on turn in and just grips and grips. The other change that I’ve noticed is that the traction control doesn’t activate as much now, although Ray did want to reset the traction control settings as he thought it was still coming on more than expected. Unfortunately we couldn’t get it reset, so I’ll have to do that locally then pop back to Ray to refine. Having said that, it feels so much better than before and I can’t wait to get it on track.

Ray also had quite a few nice cars sitting outside, so I had a good look around them as they worked on my car

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

I hate those side Carbon Fiber side skirts on the ferrari's that have that option .. it makes it look out of place like an uncomplete / tester car ..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

What do you mean by resetting the traction control settings?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
What do you mean by resetting the traction control settings?
Exactly. Imo it's ON/MDM/OFF.

Or are the sensors adjustable?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
Sorry I should have clarified. Where I've had the geo done, the tuner wanted to reset my traction control values via the OBD port as the traction control was still coming on too early through aggressive cornering (when it probably should have done).

I believe that there are certain values within the traction control area of the ECU that, if not reset, can cause the traction control to come on earlier than needed. Now that I'm running "non-stock" geometry settings, the values within the ECU are out of kilter with the car and should be reset (with the steering wheel straight).

Therefore, the tuner wanted to set the steering wheel straight, plug the car in via the OBD and hit "reset values" when I was in the screen for the traction control settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Sorry I should have clarified. Where I've had the geo done, the tuner wanted to reset my traction control values via the OBD port as the traction control was still coming on too early through aggressive cornering (when it probably should have done).

I believe that there are certain values within the traction control area of the ECU that, if not reset, can cause the traction control to come on earlier than needed. Now that I'm running "non-stock" geometry settings, the values within the ECU are out of kilter with the car and should be reset (with the steering wheel straight).

Therefore, the tuner wanted to set the steering wheel straight, plug the car in via the OBD and hit "reset values" when I was in the screen for the traction control settings.
Chris,

So is this something the dealer can do for you - a bit like the CSL's SMG 're-learn'? Or is it an aftermarket traction ECU remap type thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcA View Post
Chris,

So is this something the dealer can do for you - a bit like the CSL's SMG 're-learn'? Or is it an aftermarket traction ECU remap type thing?
He is talking about a tuner, I very much doubt any dealer would get his hand in ECU/DSC re-programming . That's a total warranty killer.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
He is talking about a tuner, I very much doubt any dealer would get his hand in ECU/DSC re-programming . That's a total warranty killer.
It's not a DSC re-program, it's a reset. Now that the geometry is set up differently, the DSC needs to be reset with the wheels straight. A dealer should do that no probs but I'll probably go back to the tuner and get them to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

I didn't think the traction control had any learning function.
I thought it was static but based on certain inputs and threshold values.
I know the Proceed had an option to raise these thresholds so that you could delay the onset of traction control.
Do you have anymore detail on this, it's just not something I've heard of before and can't really see why it would store/learn.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
It's not a DSC re-program, it's a reset. Now that the geometry is set up differently, the DSC needs to be reset with the wheels straight. A dealer should do that no probs but I'll probably go back to the tuner and get them to do it.

Did you do something like this before? Just want to learn, didn't know it works like this.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i F31

Its not a traction control reset that Chris is talking about its just the re-set of the steering angle sensor system.

If the geometry is reset and the steering wheel 'straight ahead' position is altered as a consequence of running different or tailored spec you should reset the steering angle sensor as this has a direct effect on modern stability control systems. ESP, VSA, or whatever the specific manufacturer calls their system is heavily linked with the steering wheel position when traction is lost. If the system senses that the driver is turning it will cut the power or apply the brake to the correct driven wheel to control the stability. Therefore if your steering angle sensor isn't reset the system doesn't know the accurate degree of steering lock being applied when traction is lost and this compromises the systems effect.

Hope that makes sense,

Chris
      05-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Could you tell what kind of geometry you have now please ?
More negative camber ? Other ??
Thx.
      05-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Thanks for that Chris ABP. much clearer now!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ABP View Post
Its not a traction control reset that Chris is talking about its just the re-set of the steering angle sensor system.

If the geometry is reset and the steering wheel 'straight ahead' position is altered as a consequence of running different or tailored spec you should reset the steering angle sensor as this has a direct effect on modern stability control systems. ESP, VSA, or whatever the specific manufacturer calls their system is heavily linked with the steering wheel position when traction is lost. If the system senses that the driver is turning it will cut the power or apply the brake to the correct driven wheel to control the stability. Therefore if your steering angle sensor isn't reset the system doesn't know the accurate degree of steering lock being applied when traction is lost and this compromises the systems effect.

Hope that makes sense,

Chris
Spot on, I couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks for clarifying this Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
How is the squeal on those DS2500's? Just ordered same for the front. Did you do rears too?
I can't detect any squeal to be honest and yes, I did both front and rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuuZ View Post
Thx.
No idea. I didn't ask Ray as these geometry settings are his own.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
Thanks for that Chris ABP. much clearer now!
+1. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuuZ View Post
Thx.
Of course this is the next question, I don't think anyone who owns a 1M and changes the camber/caster of the stock car made this reset before and there are a lot of people who makes that. It must be something else or something more than that.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Chris and Chris As I thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
///Nordschleife
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2012 - BMW 1///M

Is there a (big) improvement changing the brake fluid to ... ATE type 200 ? Castrol SRF ?

Is it better to change both front and rear to DS2500 ? or only front ?
because no possibility to fit a wear sensor in the rear...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

DS2500 is not a track pads. I run it for the whole season and last track day I had smoke from my front pads... But still they are enough to go 1 fast lap, then you need to cool them.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
Talented "coders' can change the traction control maps/parameters. Don't know if this is what was done to the OP's car, but my ABS/traction control ecu was recoded (by BPM Sport) so I now have the euro MDM settings which allow for a bit more slip than the U.S. settings.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Talented "coders' can change the traction control maps/parameters. Don't know if this is what was done to the OP's car, but my ABS/traction control ecu was recoded (by BPM Sport) so I now have the euro MDM settings which allow for a bit more slip than the U.S. settings.

Neil

Since you did had the ECU recoded, shall i interpret this that you typically run with MDM on?

Many drivers feel that Traction Control is " holding them up etc" and in my mind, switch it off, before actually learning that you can really hustle the car around quite quickly with it on IF one is a good driver, uses SMOOTH inputs without crazy slip angles, and is on street tires. I have on several occasions driven my car to the equal or better of qualified drivers (read: friends of mine that are equal or perhaps better driver) in cars like, say.. a stock E46M3 with traction control off, while I kept MDM on.

All bets are off with traction control when R tires are added to the equation... at this point it just lights all the time... With my R tires, i can get the traction control to blink driving in the paddock and turning from side to side.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #22
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Since you did had the ECU recoded, shall i interpret this that you typically run with MDM on?

Many drivers feel that Traction Control is " holding them up etc" and in my mind, switch it off, before actually learning that you can really hustle the car around quite quickly with it on IF one is a good driver, uses SMOOTH inputs without crazy slip angles, and is on street tires. I have on several occasions driven my car to the equal or better of qualified drivers (read: friends of mine that are equal or perhaps better driver) in cars like, say.. a stock E46M3 with traction control off, while I kept MDM on.

All bets are off with traction control when R tires are added to the equation... at this point it just lights all the time... With my R tires, i can get the traction control to blink driving in the paddock and turning from side to side.
Nope, I've only used it once on track -- when it was very wet!

When Mike Benvo was making the "corner braking control" switchable on my car, he did a bunch of other stuff including adding the euro MDM map.

Neil
Appreciate 0