BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Question Gas-Related Horror Story... Help!

Sorry for the thread title, it was just too easy, and as you'll see by the time that you get done reading, I was in need of a laugh.

- Sigh - OK, so where do I even BEGIN? Today I was driving to work on VERY little gas (i know, i know, i’m a terrible owner, but i was running late for a meeting and the ONLY station even relatively close to my apartment was SWAMPED with idiots, so i really had no choice), and my 1 died. Right on Massachusetts Avenue. Which means if you are a DC-based 1 driver, you probably saw me sitting there looking like an idiot on the side of one of the biggest roads in downtown Washington. At rush hour. Good times.

Anyway, the long and short of it is, my girlfriend went down to the gas station, filled up a can of 93, and brought it down to me in her PJs (i know, she’s a keeper, right?). Impressively, however, the can that the morons at the gas station (like i should talk) gave to her didn’t quite FIT into my gas opening, so I had to, yep, you guessed it, poor a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny little bit at a time down in there for roughly 90 minutes before I had enough gas in my baby to get her started again.

Ugh.

So as if all of that wasn’t already bad enough, here’s where I really ran into trouble: In the process of trying to perform this CIRCUS act of trickling gas down into my tank, a LOT of it ran down the side of my car (if you THINK that you MIGHT have seen me by the side of the road this morning, a good deciding indicator would definitely be the fact that i was practically SOBBING as gas poured all over my beautiful new paint, so if you saw THAT guy, then yeah, that was me).

For those of you who might now be thinking, “gee, why didn’t he reeeeeeally take his time, and be SUPER careful while doing all of this?” NU UH. I ain’t havin’ it. You have NO IDEA how careful I was. It was ridiculous – absolutely no way to avoid getting gas on the car. It was an impossibility. Especially doing this while getting cussed at by passing cab drivers all the while. I even ran into Johns Hopkins on FIVE separate occasions (the security guard thought i was a nut – today was 9-11, let me remind you) in order to wash my hands before: A. Touching ANY other part of the car or B. Getting back INSIDE of the car. Trust me. I was friggin’ careful.

So when I finally got back home (i retreated because, thank GOD, the meeting was delayed, and also because i knew that if i didn’t at least TRY to get the gas off of the paint quickly, I would be completely and utterly, new paint job required, SCREWED), I immediately poured as much warm water onto the affected paint as possible in order to try to remove a good amount of the gas. Then, I soaked up my sheepskin mitt with car shampoo, and delicately bathed the area SEVERAL times (cleaning with more water in between) in a valiant effort to remove all of the remaining gas and save the paint. Amazingly, I seem to have done it. The paint looks fine. Total elapsed time between incident and fix: 40 minutes.

-Sigh - OK, so now that my heart rate has FINALLY begun to slow again, I have several questions:
  • Did I remove the gas properly, or would there have been a better way?
  • Should I expect any permanent paint damage, or am I alright? Do I need to ScratchX ALL of the affected paint, or is it going to look fine moving forward?
  • The inside of the gas pouring chamber is also COATED with gas. What can I do to clean that area? Can I just nuke it with a hose and soap, or do I risk getting water and suds down into my tank if I do that? I’m happy to keep the cap on while cleaning the inside area, but I DO want to remove the majority of the gas splashes from the plastic parts so that it doesn’t stink to high hell and look bad.
  • There are small black marks (probably from the dumb gas station’s can) on my metal gas opening (inside the latch). Can I remove them? I have a metal cleaner and polish… is that what I should use? I know this question may seem ridiculous, but the car is still just SO NEW!! I have to fix it.
  • Is there ANY chance that I've damaged either my car's engine or gas parts by running out of fuel? That's above my pay grade to know.
Mother of Pearl. It’s been a long day.

Help?
      09-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

hmm, so where's that thread about people running cars below 1/4 tank?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

That's nice dude, but could you please HELP?

Thanks. :biggrin:
      09-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
you should be worried less about the paint and more about the extra stress your fuel pump went thru....

Beyond the strain on your fuel pump also sediment from bad gas can sink to the bottom of the tank so running it dry will also allow this sediment to enter your motor...

although when i used to be in the DC area around 20th and I i would try to always make it to MD to fill up... gas is $$$$$$$$ in the district..luckily i made it
      09-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I dont think there should be any permanent damage. I am always careful when taking the pump out of the gas tank but occasionally some gas spills on the paint. I have no marks on my car from this happening.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
kcobra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M package

I've been told by someone who runs a commercial paint company that most new car paints have a compound in them that protects them from being altered by gas leaks when you are filling up.

2008 Black 135i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

how long was the guage on 0 miles left?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

OK, phew, I'm feeling reassured about the paint, but what about the nozzle cleaning and other stuff? Thoughts?

Also, I think that it goes without saying, but CLEARLY I won't ever be using that sheepskin mitt again.
      09-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

jraymond, this is one time that I honestly wasn't paying attention. I don't know. Too long, I'm sure. I filled her back up and she's acting fine, so I'm hopeful, but I honestly just don't know.
      09-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
kcobra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M package

I think the paint will be ok.

2008 Black 135i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #11
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

I am certainly not an expert, but gas evaporates in air if it is left out for long enough doesn't it. So, by that logic I would assume that if you left your gas door open the "gas smell/stink" wouldn't last that long and would go away.

I have spilled gas on my paint before during fill ups because I am not careful enough about the drips after filling (yeah, i know I should). I have done it numerous times (like 60 times, i would guess) and it hadn't affected any of the paint on my BMW 330Ci, or at least that I could tell.

Now, onto your ordeal... dude that is a tough break, I have been there and you are pretty much hating life as it is happening to you. Not to mention how self-conscious you feel looking like a jackass on the side of the road in a BMW. People must be like "serves him right... BMW drivers are all pricks."
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
barrchord
Rep
Drives:

There should be no problems with the paint. Think about it, if gas damaged modern car paint, every car out there would have a "stain" below the gas cap. Probably lost your wax though...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Why did you not go to the 1st gas station? Who cares if there are a bunch of idiots there? It's not like you were pulling up in a rolls royce
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

On most cars I've owned there's been times when gas has dripped on the side of the car as I've removed the nozzle. Sometimes I wash it off, sometimes I don't. I've even just dipped some paper towels in the windshield cleaner bucket and carefully dabbed at it just in case. Never once have I ever been able to tell that it happened. You're being completely paranoid. Even about the wash mitt.

Think about everything your car paint is exposed to. All the time there are cars leaking oil or other fluids on the road ahead of you. When it rains who knows what all the pollutants on the road are and it's getting sprayed on your car. Oil, diesel fumes, they're all out there. Then you add in the constant sunlight beating down on your car. It's just not a big deal. The paint is durable, it'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

The gas will not hurt your paint. Wash the gas cap area with soap and water then use some Aerospace 303 on the plastic and rubber. Armorall will do as well but Aerospace 303 is better.

So now I have to ask why you did not just push the little SOS button. Someone would have come, give you gas and you would not have to get dirty or gas on your car. That is exactly what the little SOS button is for. You paid for it so use it.
      09-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #16
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

your car is ok. I am an expert. TRUST ME.

LOL

Seriously (btw I am joking, I am not an expert) if you are worried that much, and didn't know how to get the gas in the car, I would have someone check it out like a detail shop, or even the dealership if you trust them. Also this might be a good time to buy a spare gas can. Get one with a long neck that only holds 1 gal or so. It's easier to pour, and can be stored easy. Remember to store it open outside the car till the fumes are gone. A can that has fumes in it is actually more dangerious than a can full of liquid. At least that is what I was told.

EspressoBoy

PS
As for the black marks... there is a detail guy who you can post your questions to, but I highly suggest you take some pictures when you ask. It's very hard to imagine without pictures.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
one 35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSM/terra

You should be fine on all counts! One thing I would not do is douce the filler neck/cap with water. If you want a real mess get water in the fuel system in these cars! Leave it alone and drive it and when you hit a1/4 tank fill it up in the future.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #18
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

How can you ignore the annoying "gong" noise the computer makes when you are low on gas :-)
      09-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
Bavarian MW
lurker
Rep
Drives: 16 s1000r 17 M240i 18 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
how long was the guage on 0 miles left?
After reading zero and no fillup, the OBC display will show a few dashes. One could drive ten or more miles without a fuel cut driving on dashes.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #20
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

If it was a diesel I'd be worried but petrol + paint is fine these days.

As someone else said: You might want to get your fuel pump checked out though.

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #21
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Lol, if ever there was a thread that deserved to be flamed... this one'd be it.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #22
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If the car continues to perform normally, is it really necessary to have the fuel pump looked at? A quick scan of the web seems to suggest that modern cars are fairly well equipt to deal with running out of fuel (so long as it doesn't happen on a regular basis!).

Thanks again for all of the other incite folks, my paintwork seems to be fine this morning!