BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

1M now a year old

My 1M is now coming up for a year old and all those lovely bills for tax and insurance have to be paid again.
Last year I insured with BMW insurance underwritten by Allianz. This year the premium is the same. I decided to look round for other quotes and got a quote from Allianz which was £100 cheaper than BMW insurance for basically the same insurance. Spoke to BMW and they wouldn't match it. Perhaps it's because they know how easy it is to steal my car
I went on money supermarket and the lowest quote was £279 from Sainsbury's insurance. Has anyone insured their 1M with them?
Do I pay £500 and go with BMW insurance or £279 with Sainsbury's.
I know the old saying you only get what you pay for but are there any disadvantages buying cheap car insurance?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Way I see it as long as the cover provided is very closely matched and excess etc is similar, then I'd go with Sainsbury's. Also the underwriters are U K Insurance Limited who also underwrite for Direct Line, Churchill and a few others.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m v/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
My 1M is now coming up for a year old and all those lovely bills for tax and insurance have to be paid again.
Last year I insured with BMW insurance underwritten by Allianz. This year the premium is the same. I decided to look round for other quotes and got a quote from Allianz which was £100 cheaper than BMW insurance for basically the same insurance. Spoke to BMW and they wouldn't match it. Perhaps it's because they know how easy it is to steal my car
I went on money supermarket and the lowest quote was £279 from Sainsbury's insurance. Has anyone insured their 1M with them?
I know the old saying you only get what you pay for but are there any disadvantages buying cheap car insurance?
Good insurance costs less at sainsbury's mate
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmatt View Post
Good insurance costs less at sainsbury's mate
F. O. Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

My insurance is coming up early next month, another year older, another yrs no claim and it went up 60quid, did the compare the market thing and the same insurance company comes up the cheapest and almost 300quid cheaper.......

Go with the cheapest mate, they are all the same really, leaches!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I see the insurance companies still list it as an M1, couldn't find it under 1M.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I see the insurance companies still list it as an M1, couldn't find it under 1M.
My documents from BMW AG direct sales says it is a M1
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Just make sure when you do a comparison, the features of the policy and excesses are the same. No point being £200 cheaper if the excess is £500 more.

Also check courtesy car and legal expenses etc. most of the comparison sites require you to add these on.

FWIW, I stuck with BMW Insurance back in June. Premium went up slightly.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
terryb
Rep
Drives: soon to be E92 M3

I've Had mine almost a year too and just had 1st main service done after 19.5k miles and fitting Supersports to front to match the rears today too. I need to speak to the BMW service department to check if they have done an ECU update (maybe to resolve the key cloning issues) as I'm convinced the map isn't there anymore and if this is the case then DMS will reflash it
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryb View Post
I've Had mine almost a year too and just had 1st main service done after 19.5k miles and fitting Supersports to front to match the rears today too. I need to speak to the BMW service department to check if they have done an ECU update (maybe to resolve the key cloning issues) as I'm convinced the map isn't there anymore and if this is the case then DMS will reflash it
Wrong thread maybe?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wont they know at BMW in Germany that your car has been tuned now and will automatically void your warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Just make sure when you do a comparison, the features of the policy and excesses are the same. No point being £200 cheaper if the excess is £500 more.

Also check courtesy car and legal expenses etc. most of the comparison sites require you to add these on.

FWIW, I stuck with BMW Insurance back in June. Premium went up slightly.
The Sainsbury's insurance ticks all the boxes and £150 excess, trying to spot the catch
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
The Sainsbury's insurance ticks all the boxes and £150 excess, trying to spot the catch
No catch with car insurance companies as long as they state everything clearly and you understand their Ts & Cs. It's a competitive market and each company has their own risk calculators which also adds to the difference in price. All insurance companies are against you or so to speak, they make it as difficult as possible to make a claim, which I'm sure you know. As long as you are clear about the policy, you should be fine. Also, no insurer can dictate the choice of bodyshop by law.

I was with Direct Line during the first year and Privilege for the second; despite both of them being part of the same group, the premium from Privilege was less than half that of Direct Line during renewal. Basically, it's their method of capturing market share by having different sub companies cater for different groups of drivers.

Last edited by mlhj83; 11-17-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Well sounds like a no brainer then. Do you know who the underwriter is?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Well sounds like a no brainer then. Do you know who the underwriter is?
It's UK Insurance Limited which are pretty much the underwriters for so many other companies including Direct Line AND BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
terryb
Rep
Drives: soon to be E92 M3

Quote:
Wont they know at BMW in Germany that your car has been tuned now and will automatically void your warranty?
Nope, just checked today and the ECU was not updated and nothing picked up on the service, so the DMS remap must be undetectable as indeed DMS said it would be. Also got my name down on the list for the ODB cloning software update
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nope, just checked today and the ECU was not updated and nothing picked up on the service, so the DMS remap must be undetectable as indeed DMS said it would be. Also got my name down on the list for the ODB cloning software update
Any remap is detectable, but not by the dealership. If there is a major issue with the engine or ECU, the ECU data does get sent back to BMW M for scrutiny and any tempering will be picked up even if the remap is no longer there. If you manage to convince any reputable tuner to state it in writing that their remap is undetectable, then I would surely like to know. There are still logs that show data values have been changed, even when original values are put back. I had a DME malfunction and it was sent back to Munich before a replacement was sent back 3 weeks later. I didn't have a remap however. Nothing wrong with remaping, but one has to accept a certain level of risk.

Last edited by mlhj83; 11-17-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Any remap is detectable, but not by the dealership. If there is a major issue with the engine or ECU, the ECU data does get sent back to BMW M for scrutiny and any tempering will be picked up even if the remap is no longer there. If you manage to convince any reputable tuner to state it in writing that their remap is undetectable, then I would surely like to know. There are still logs that show data values have been changed, even when original values are put back. I had a DME malfunction and it was sent back to Munich before a replacement was sent back 3 weeks later. I didn't have a remap however. Nothing wrong with remaping, but one has to accept a certain level of risk.
But even if you play by the book (no tune): every M3 launch control is also irreversibly logged "and we can see that" (dixit my dealer at trade-in of my M3 for a 1M). A 'clean' record favors trade-in chances.
      11-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
But even if you play by the book (no tune): every M3 launch control is also irreversibly logged "and we can see that" (dixit my dealer at trade-in of my M3 for a 1M). A 'clean' record favors trade-in chances.
Yes, everything is logged unfortunately. But I don't plan to sell it to dealers and don't tend to use launch control too often
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
jez, even if it's a few hundred extra, get whatever best coverage for your M. after all, we have paid for your insurance premium
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
jez, even if it's a few hundred extra, get whatever best coverage for your M. after all, we have paid for your insurance premium
The Mats Millionaire.
      11-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #22
greygoose
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I insured with Sainsburys as they were the cheapest last year, I haven't had to make any claims (touch wood) so can't say if they are any good or not but you do get reward points .
Appreciate 0