BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
tceepa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Convertible & 11 X5

Help: ABS, parking brake, DSC dashboard lights on

Hey guys,

Hopefully someone has seen this type of issue before and can offer some advice.

I was driving my 08 135i normally and suddenly all the following dashboard lights came on at once.

Dynamic stability control DSC warning light
Parking brake light - amber, not red
Two ABS warning lights.
(See pic attached.)

The car drives normally and doesn't seem to be affected.

I called the local stealership and they suggested turning off the car for 1/2 hour to an hour (allow to go sleep) and seeing if the codes return. If they do return, then they suggest (guessing) that it could be a software glitch and would be an ECU re-programming solution. They're wanting to book an appointment and charge me 2 hours of labour to look at it (and possibly solve the problem).

Has anyone experienced or seen this problem before? Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tceepa View Post
Hey guys,

Hopefully someone has seen this type of issue before and can offer some advice.

I was driving my 08 135i normally and suddenly all the following dashboard lights came on at once.

Dynamic stability control DSC warning light
Parking brake light - amber, not red
Two ABS warning lights.
(See pic attached.)

The car drives normally and doesn't seem to be affected.

I called the local stealership and they suggested turning off the car for 1/2 hour to an hour (allow to go sleep) and seeing if the codes return. If they do return, then they suggest (guessing) that it could be a software glitch and would be an ECU re-programming solution. They're wanting to book an appointment and charge me 2 hours of labour to look at it (and possibly solve the problem).

Has anyone experienced or seen this problem before? Any suggestions?
If the problem persists, it is likely to be either a faulty wheel speed sensor or steering angle sensor. Hitting a bad pothole that puts the alignment out can also cause a difference between the expected wheel sensor output and the steering angle (solved by an alignment and reset of the steering angle calibration).

An outside possibility is a failing battery, but this would also likely cause other glitches such as loosing the time on the clock.

You will likely have codes set that can be read with a code reader.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
tceepa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks a lot for your input. I'll get my hands on a code reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
If the problem persists, it is likely to be either a faulty wheel speed sensor or steering angle sensor. Hitting a bad pothole that puts the alignment out can also cause a difference between the expected wheel sensor output and the steering angle (solved by an alignment and reset of the steering angle calibration).

An outside possibility is a failing battery, but this would also likely cause other glitches such as loosing the time on the clock.

You will likely have codes set that can be read with a code reader.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your input. I'll get my hands on a code reader.
I think Advance Auto Parts will read codes for you, for free.

Cheapest way to read codes, and get other functionality, I know of is to get Torque, a phone app. You also need a OBDII to bluetooth converter but total cost is about $30. Torque will let you look at the output of the sensors of the cars and create virtual gauges using this information. It also reads and clears codes.

I also use a cheap code reader/clearer I got at Harbor Freight sometimes. It isn't as user friendly as Torque but works fine. Torque gives you the code and a brief description. The HF unit just gives you a code you look up in a book to see what it is. Really googling it necessary to learn much in both cases.
      08-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would also check for any open recalls on your car, like the battery cable recall.

I think some guys have had this problem and it turned out to be the ABS/DTC block module under the hood. And that DSC block isn't cheap. I think 2k euros.

IF this is the case, there is a German company that can repair the ABS/DTC Block(valve body) called: tachopix.de

They can also repair the failed pixels on radio displays and other common electrical gremlins that are common to modern cars. I used tachopix to repair my failed pixels on my e39.

First step is to read the code and see whats what. Clear said code and see IF it comes back.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
tceepa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update:

So a friend hooked up a Snap On scanner and pulled the following code and message:

5DB2 - Wheel Speed Sensor Exciter Ring Rear Left Periodic Fault

I mentioned this information to a local mechanic (that I regularly deal with) and he seems to think it's the tone ring or exciter ring for that rear right wheel and not the wheel sensor itself. Has anyone ever seen or experienced this?

I did a quick search online and easily found wheel speed sensors (ATE brand for $101 and non branded after market ones for $30sh). However I haven't found the tone ring/exciter ring anywhere. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find this part (other than from my local BMW dealership)?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
atorreon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

i had a similar issue the other day. i stumbled across the following which seemed to help after i had an alignment done....

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642984
2000 BMW e39 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
tceepa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Forgot to mention....my buddy erased the codes. They disappeared (while at idle for several minutes) but as soon as I drove down the street the codes all reappeared. Dam system was teasing me.

Also, for some reason this happens every once and a while....car will be parked for a while (usually a couple of hours), I'll start the car and the codes appear, start driving for about a minute, the codes all disappear and then reappear moments later. It's the weirdest thing.

Quote:
Update:

So a friend hooked up a Snap On scanner and pulled the following code and message:

5DB2 - Wheel Speed Sensor Exciter Ring Rear Left Periodic Fault

I mentioned this information to a local mechanic (that I regularly deal with) and he seems to think it's the tone ring or exciter ring for that rear right wheel and not the wheel sensor itself. Has anyone ever seen or experienced this?

I did a quick search online and easily found wheel speed sensors (ATE brand for $101 and non branded after market ones for $30sh). However I haven't found the tone ring/exciter ring anywhere. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find this part (other than from my local BMW dealership)?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
Giveway74
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i and MK7 Golf GTI PP

Quote:
However I haven't found the tone ring/exciter ring anywhere. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find this part (other than from my local BMW dealership)?

Thanks,
On the 135i and other higher power output BMW models the tone ring is in the wheel bearing which may need to be replaced. Not hard with the right tools but it is also not a quick and simple job.
M3 front and rear arms, M3 Front and rear ARB , Quaife LSD, BMW performance wheel (non electronic), 135i Brakes, DS2500 pads, Apex wheel studs, Adjustable Bilsteins, API Half cage, Hankook Z221's (track) and Bridgestone RE002's (street) 225's all around
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
tceepa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just an update for future members...

The resolution to the issue was a wheel speed sensor. The sensor was $77 and it took my mechanic 20 minutes to change the part. After seeing it changed, it looked like a very simple job. We spent more time talking about the issue and diagnosing the problem than what it took to perform the actual work. :-)

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
srt4mitch
Rep
Drives: dodge srt4 neon

I have the same exact issues and lights even at night when it happens the headlights shut off for a second. I also have a issue from time to time where when I shut the car off I lose all power. I am going to try the speed sensor for the issue above but I saw someone was talking about a recall on the battery cable. Do any of you know where I can find the recalls
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #12
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4mitch View Post
Do any of you know where I can find the recalls
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #13