BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
trfortin
High Tech Recruiter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Vert

Nexen Winguard Sport

Hello to All,
If anyone is considering buying the Nexen's, here's my initial review/observation after owning them for one day.

I purchased a Set of Nexen Winguard Sport 205/50/17's today. I've only had them on for one day in 60 degree weather, so by no means was this a good day to review a winter tire. Overall initial impression is good, they are quiet, and I was able to cruise at 90 miles per hour comfortably, with somewhat of a floaty feeling but controlled/safe ride. During acceleration they didn't break loose and seemed to have good overall traction considering the conditions. My last set of Dunlop 3DS seemed louder and squirmier but those we're 4 years old (on my old 330I) and the technology wasn't as good as it is today. I'll say these are somewhat squishy in the initial turn in, however they do end up biting once they settle into the corner; handling was above average for a snow tire in my opinion and better than the Dunlop’s. Most recently I was using a set of Goodyear LS runcraps for my winters(OEM), the nexen's don't handle as well as the Goodyear's but they are quieter and seem to give a more compliant ride than the All seasons. These we're $515.00 installed with a 4 wheel alignment, really good deal and I’m very happy with the purchase so far. We're going to get some rain from the hurricane coming up the coast this week so I'll try them in high speed and low speed over the next couple days and report back, and once it snows I'll give another review/observation at that time.
Pictures coming soon as they we're doing maintenance on the site.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'd take them off until the weather drops below 50 degrees as a high or your tires wont last long. The studless snows really don't do well in warmer temps since they are so soft.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
I'd take them off until the weather drops below 50 degrees as a high or your tires wont last long. The studless snows really don't do well in warmer temps since they are so soft.
Performance winter tyres with an "H" speed rating and above don't have this problem (Dunlop 3D, Michelin Pilot Alpin, Pirelli Sottozero, Bridgestone LM, etc). This is really an issue with, for example, Bridgestone WS and Michelin X-Ice winter tyres.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
dknl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

I've had these on my GTI and these were horrible tires and that was on a front wheel drive car...I can barely make it uphill in snow with these things when they were new. On ice, these were just scary. I drove on them for 2 winters (about 7000km) and they were pretty much done. Replaced with Hakkapelittas and it was night and day. I would go with better tire for the 1 series especially if you are in an area with alot of snow and have to go uphill on occasions.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Performance winter tyres with an "H" speed rating and above don't have this problem (Dunlop 3D, Michelin Pilot Alpin, Pirelli Sottozero, Bridgestone LM, etc). This is really an issue with, for example, Bridgestone WS and Michelin X-Ice winter tyres.
Ahh, wasn't aware of that. I thought it pretty much applied to all studless snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
trfortin
High Tech Recruiter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknl View Post
I've had these on my GTI and these were horrible tires and that was on a front wheel drive car...I can barely make it uphill in snow with these things when they were new. On ice, these were just scary. I drove on them for 2 winters (about 7000km) and they were pretty much done. Replaced with Hakkapelittas and it was night and day. I would go with better tire for the 1 series especially if you are in an area with alot of snow and have to go uphill on occasions.
I appreciate your opinion, I've read other reviews saying they are a very good in the snow.....so I hope your wrong, we'll see.....hopefully it snows in the next 30 days as i have a 30 day return policy on them.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #7
trfortin
High Tech Recruiter
United_States
Rep

from another review: they have to be better than my bald all seasons

Nexen is a Korean tire manufacturer that is just recently expanding its European and American product lines. That being the case, the tires are decently inexpensive. I got my set for $129 a tire from Town Fair.

The sport version of the tire was designed for the European market and I would assume the Autobahn. Just by look and feel they are a much sturdier tire than most other winter tires Ive dealt with. The sidewall is sturdy. It must be, considering the V (149mph) speed rating these tires have. I find these to be quite responsive and reassuring to drive with. I can take corners just as fast if not faster than with my bald summer Toyos the car came with.

Now on to the important stuff:

Dry: 5 - Very good traction. Even better considering they are winter tires. Car is surefooted and feels no different than on my old summer tires. Whereas I was scared to go overly fast on the tires I had on the vert, I have no issues with high speed driving with the Nexens on the Viggen.
Rain: 4 - Again, great traction. No, I havent played too much in the wet since putting these on, but from what I did experience they are far more than adequate when it comes to moving water.
Snow: 4 - In today's insanity the car was incredibly easy to control. Undertaking the hill that requires a drop from 5th to 3rd at the legal speed limit (steep bastard) was no issue. I could step the car out just enough and exactly when and how I needed to. Unfortunately, hard-packed snow offers a challenge. Wheel spin is more likely, though still very easily avoided.
Slush: 4 - Best slush driving Ive yet experienced. The tread that makes wet weather driving so simple carries over just as neatly into this more severe weather.
Ice: 3.5 - In the plowed and iced over parking lot of what once was Circuit City, the tires held very well. I had to put some effort into getting the back end to step out. Considering I have the largest ARB one can purchase for Saabs, this is good stuff.
Ride quality: 5 - For winter tires, the ride is downright cloud-like. Thats not to say its perfectly smooth, but it is eons better than most snows.
Road noise: 3 - Not loud, but certainly not quiet either.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #8
trfortin
High Tech Recruiter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
just curiuos what width and diameter did you have for these on your GTI?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
dknl
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfortin View Post
just curiuos what width and diameter did you have for these on your GTI?
195-55-15

I've had a few experiences with different snow tires and where im from we get alot of snow and really cold winters..ice and hard packed snow is common.

I would say for the price..Nexen was great IF u dont get alot of snow and dont drive uphills/downhill. For average city driving in mild winter places...they will do just fine. For me, I spent on a better tire for extra assurance n safety
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
trfortin
High Tech Recruiter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
195-55-15

I've had a few experiences with different snow tires and where im from we get alot of snow and really cold winters..ice and hard packed snow is common.

I would say for the price..Nexen was great IF u dont get alot of snow and dont drive uphills/downhill. For average city driving in mild winter places...they will do just fine. For me, I spent on a better tire for extra assurance n safety
those are thin, which is a good thing. I'm running 205's so hopefully it won't be to bad. I'm in new england, it could be hit or miss during the winters, usually we get 1/2 dozen snow storms and they do a great job at plowing/salting usually the only time I'll have an issue is if i actually get caught at work during a snow storm that starts late morning or afternoon and I have to drive home from work. I'm on the coast so it's not to hilly on my way to work. I don't plan on driving the car during snow storms if I can help it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
dknl
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
those are thin, which is a good thing. I'm running 205's so hopefully it won't be to bad. I'm in new england, it could be hit or miss during the winters, usually we get 1/2 dozen snow storms and they do a great job at plowing/salting usually the only time I'll have an issue is if i actually get caught at work during a snow storm that starts late morning or afternoon and I have to drive home from work. I'm on the coast so it's not to hilly on my way to work. I don't plan on driving the car during snow storms if I can help it.
I originally purchased these based on the reviews and price too... but i guess you need to take it with a grain of salt unless the reviews come from your region.

You'll be fine if theres not much snow on the ground. Throw on a few big boxes of kitty litter or sandbags in the trunk...will help for better grip and in case you get stuck, just shovel the sand/kitty litter around the tires for traction. Be safe!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
trfortin
High Tech Recruiter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknl
Quote:
I originally purchased these based on the reviews and price too... but i guess you need to take it with a grain of salt unless the reviews come from your region.

You'll be fine if theres not much snow on the ground. Throw on a few big boxes of kitty litter or sandbags in the trunk...will help for better grip and in case you get stuck, just shovel the sand/kitty litter around the tires for traction. Be safe!
I always have a collapsible shovel ready to go in my trunk
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
trfortin
High Tech Recruiter
United_States
Rep

just an update, I had a 30 mile commute in thunder snow got caught in white out conditions, about 3-4 inches on the groud and coming down hard. Sorry dknl these tires we're pretty damn good considering the car their on. I also saw an AWD subby legacy GT in a ditch and the rear wheel drive Beama held true with the nexen's. Pics to prove it the pics we're actually after it let up a little.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

My god talk about mixed reviews all over the place.
Half the online reviews say they are good to great others say they are horrible to ok.
I live in NJ, we get about 3-6 snow storms per year and our well feed governor doesn't believe in plowing and thinks mother nature does a better job so we tend to get either get packed snow or some sort of thin ice.
My drive to work is all of 10 mines each way with one hill, so i'm not climbing the andies.
SO let's see how these things do for 5 months.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Buys new snow tires....tempreature goes up....ha ha ha!
well it's going to be like 57 here in NJ this Saturday and Sunday.
I just got these tires for the rear. Yeah they are winter tires...yeah they are louder....
will let you guys know how it works. Not bad thougth.....$175 each....
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

First impression....in a straight line in the dry....sticky.....but very wimpy side walls.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #17
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

1k mile review.
loud...no really loud....but they are winter tires so what do you want.
quick high speed turns...oh mushy has hell. be careful!
rain...not a problem.
ice....had a little most of my drive is without hills and they were fine
snow...dry...not bad they work rather well.

Long and short of it. Yeah they work. But the car really needs an LSD...the ECU just can't deal with that much hp and an open diff...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #18
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

yeah they work, so far we had some good snow and a bit of ice here in NJ / NYC and well so far so good.
Am i 100% with these tires? nope!
But it's not the tire that is failing from the looks of it they grip well but the car just isn't mechanically set up for snow.
Apparently in the land of beer and brought worst it does not snow?
Appreciate 0