BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
VisualCSharp
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 6AT

Slow leak with new Potenza RE-11 tire, need advice!

I bought 4 new Potenza RE-11 tires from TireRack.com: 225/40R18 for the front and 255/35R18 for the back. One day after getting the tires installed, my front left developed a leak on my way to the airport for the holidays. By the time I was parking my car in the lot, the tire had lost just about all its pressure. At that time I had no idea what caused the flat, whether it was a puncture, incorrect valve stem installation, or what.

I went on vacation and came back on Sunday. I checked out the tire and could see nothing wrong with the tread or outside sidewall. A tech from the airport came over and gave me air and after he did that we could hear a very small leak from somewhere, but couldn't feel it. I had the car towed to BMW of Austin using BMW's Roadside Assistance (thank God for that free tow).

The next morning, my tech, Thad Tucker, looked at it and did the old "water test," determining the leak to be around/on the tire bead. He even showed me where the bubbles were appearing and it was definitely from the tire bead area. There was no way the problem was from any sort of puncture or curb rash or anything. The wheel itself is not bent. I rented a car and took the wheel with the tire still on it (BMW never removed it) to Dave's Ultimate Auto where I had it installed. They inflated it to 40 psi then 60 psi and claimed they didn't see any leaks with the water test.

So now I'm in a quandry. Dave's is essentially saying the tire is safe to drive on because they didn't see the problem first-hand. However, from what I've read about tire bead leaks they are almost always caused by bad installation, improper installation equipment or not using enough lubrication on the tire bead. Of course I don't want to be driving around on a tire that could blow at any moment, especially considering that I haven't yet ordered my spare kit.

What is the recommendation of the folks on this board? I've read some threads online that say sometimes the bead just needs to "seat" properly and that will solve these kinds of slow leaks. Should Dave's be responsible for taking the tire off and checking for damage? They already complained that their equipment was not the right equipment for dealing with these low profile tires.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Be sure to check your valvestem. Make sure the nut is snug but be sure to check it with an 11mm wrench and not your hand. Also before you tighten it move the Valve stem up and down to see if there is any air seaping out. Had this problem last week and came to find out that it was barely even tightened down and aired out the tire in under 10min.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
VisualCSharp
Rep

Thank you for the reply. I should clarify that when Thad showed me the leak it was not coming from the area of the valve stem but was coming from the tire bead behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualCSharp View Post
....... However, from what I've read about tire bead leaks they are almost always caused by bad installation, improper installation equipment or not using enough lubrication on the tire bead. .........Should Dave's be responsible for taking the tire off and checking for damage? They already complained that their equipment was not the right equipment for dealing with these low profile tires. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I would take the tire to an installer who has the right equipment and have the tire re-installed....you should be in/out in 20 minutes for less than $25.00.
      12-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

+1 on the valve stem. When the tire store installed my Nitto Invos they pinched the seal on the valve stem and I had a slow leak as well.
      12-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Bad beads can come directly from the manufacturer. We have had a few cases in which there was the same slow leak until we physically pulled the tire up with our arms when it was on the mounting machine. We were able to swap out the tire with the manufacturer.

-Charles@VMRWheels
      12-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
VisualCSharp
Rep

Hey, for the benefit of folks looking at this thread, I'll follow up. I called TireRack.com and explained the situation. They called Dave's Ultimate Auto directly and worked things out. Dave's re-mounted the tire and gave it back to me with no leaks and no defects they could see. I took it back to BMW and the dealership added bead sealant. Two days later and still no leaks. I've checked the pressure cold and warm.
Appreciate 0