BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2008 135i

Weighing the Risks Vs The Gains !!!

Greetings Guys!

So this is what's up ! i love my car with its current setup and i really enjoy it even more since the CDV delete and the PSS. i even enjoy the fact that the OEM suspension is compliant because it's suits the crappy roads we have up here and i don't track my car .

but am still thinking about getting more power ( now more than ever since that Blown GT Stang was about to pass me like nothing on the Highway )and the only worry i have is about the reliability of the thing.that's holding me back!.

I mean, when you guys go FBO , don't you guys worry if anything blows off?? we all know that OEM components already give up with factory boost and they're quite hefty to fix. or do you guys just say : hell with it ! i'll modify this thing and hope for the best since am keeping it for just 2 or 3 years anyway??

Thank you for sharing your input!!

PS: yes it felt bad being killed by a Stang. Dude had just a GT badge no 5.0 so i said it's the Old V8 i should kill it easy. then i heard his Supercharger Spooling
      05-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
John Dempsey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 135i M-Sport

Im full bolt on and im fine thus far. But my mind set has pretty much been fugg it lets make this as fast as i can and cross my fingers it doesnt break. But luckily i have an in with a tech so im pretty safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
borabora
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 M

maybe off topic but you might see even badderass Stangs out there as the new Shelby GT500 is around the corner for less than 55 grands & 662 ponies ( wtf !!?? )
to answer your question i'd say go for it
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

I used to care and worry. Now I just started modifying the car and not caring or giving a hell. Warranty is up in mid-June, and they already put me in the system and voided my warranty for engine fixes because I had a ER diverter valve pipe and BOV installed when I brought it in. So now I don't care and figure if the turbos do go, I'll do a single conversion or buy aftermarket turbos to replace. And I wasn't about to pay $3,900 for an extended warranty when I could pay that or less for something better than stock and still be able to modify the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
It's more risk in most peoples mind to mod a car still under warranty since then you are basically throwing away your warranty. Once off the warranty you really have enough miles/age that you might want to consider replacing parts anyways. Most likely too much boost will just burn up your turbos so that gives you an excuse to upgrade.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Qbrozen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

yup. Just going to fix the damned thing if it breaks. I'm not even going all out like many folks here. Just the tune, intake, DPs, and better cooling. I doubt I'll ever go with a meth kit.

My car is in for its last service today. I'm looking forward to not worrying over what they'll say about my mods, frankly. As others said, I'm not interested in an extended warranty for the mods reason and for the fact I'd rather replace broken parts with better aftermarket ones where applicable.

This has made me think of a question I'm curious about, though ... what happens to someone who buys an extended warranty and then is flagged for mods? Do they get refunded their money??
      05-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbrozen View Post
what happens to someone who buys an extended warranty and then is flagged for mods? Do they get refunded their money??
My guess would be, most likely not.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
If you live in a city of any size, there will always be a faster car.
If you live in North America there is a good chance it will be an American muscle car.

Modify for your own enjoyment and you win every time.
Appreciate 0