BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

What DV is everyone running?

I am currently not running software but may opt to do so down the line. Stock one took a crap on me at the track this weekend and I am not sure if I should replace with a new OEM one or go aftermarket. I do not want a BOV.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I'd replace them with the stock units, unless you're running a tune with high boost in which case you may want to consider the Forge or Helix/AWE pieces.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I'd replace them with the stock units, unless you're running a tune with high boost in which case you may want to consider the Forge or Helix/AWE pieces.

Neil
That's what I am thinking. I think the Forge type units may be overkill for my boost setup. Thanks as always Neil.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Forge. To me the fact that your stock ones went out further reinforces the need to upgrade.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

GIAC has indicated they've seen lots of issues with aftermarket DVs, and recommend healthy OE units. Just a point for consideration.

After considering all available options, I ended up with a Tial BOV. It's really not that loud, and is very responsive.

Had I gone the DV route, I would have used Turbosmart.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Considering the DV are crap... and the charge pipe also likes to crack under stock boost... might as well upgrade both and go ahead and get an aftermarket charge pipe and BOV. I just went with an ETS Charge Pipe and also the Synapse BOV. I have never heard a bad review from a single user of them on here or any other car forum others use them on. You can even set it up to re-circulate if you want. I personally think that is he best route.

393 RWHP / 434 RWTQ
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Considering the DV are crap... and the charge pipe also likes to crack under stock boost... might as well upgrade both and go ahead and get an aftermarket charge pipe and BOV. I just went with an ETS Charge Pipe and also the Synapse BOV. I have never heard a bad review from a single user of them on here or any other car forum others use them on. You can even set it up to re-circulate if you want. I personally think that is he best route.
i currently run the ER charge pipe. I was running it with stock DV's. i will look into the BOV option but will most likely end up replacing with a new stock DV.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
GIAC has indicated they've seen lots of issues with aftermarket DVs, and recommend healthy OE units. Just a point for consideration.

After considering all available options, I ended up with a Tial BOV. It's really not that loud, and is very responsive.

Had I gone the DV route, I would have used Turbosmart.
i am going to take a look at the turbosmart one but i agree with what you wrote about GIAC. I have had a few high boost turbo cars and even though the stocks ones used to pop they were the best. the aftermarket ones are just overkill.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
i currently run the ER charge pipe. I was running it with stock DV's. i will look into the BOV option but will most likely end up replacing with a new stock DV.
I am sure someone on here would scoop that up from you with out much loss.

If you REALLY want to stay the re-circ route, maybe try the turbo smarts. But if it were my money, I would invest in the synapse. The design and operation make it a no brainer. No "too" expensive, either. Or... you could always just buy a "few" stock DV's and swap em out when they go ... lol

393 RWHP / 434 RWTQ
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

OP has a stock engine and he already changed the real problem piece which is the (charge) pipe itself. I see no point of changing also the dv if he is not after a specific sound or a tiny bit more power (if any) etc. I thought about Forge myself in the past but simply couldn't justify it despite trying hard, and even with Forge there were occasional reports of issues.

I am happy with the performance of ER charge pipe with stock dv, I bet I would not be happy for too long if I would have higher boost levels.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
OP has a stock engine and he already changed the real problem piece which is the (charge) pipe itself. I see no point of changing also the dv if he is not after a specific sound or a tiny bit more power (if any) etc. I thought about Forge myself in the past but simply couldn't justify it despite trying hard, and even with Forge there were occasional reports of issues.

I am happy with the performance of ER charge pipe with stock dv, I bet I would not be happy for too long if I would have higher boost levels.
yea. i dont care about the sound or the power. the car for how i use it is quick enough. i just bought the ER charge pipe as a cheap insurance policy. i have a few friends that have cracked theirs and i do not want that to happen when i am a few hours from home trying to enjoy an event. i ordered another stock DV. That being said, i am now fighting with BMW about another issue. i hate these dealers!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Forge DV's are fully serviceable and are much more efficient at doing their job than the OE DV's.

If your can get warranty to replace DV's, then why not. There is no money out of your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

ER charge pipe with the Forge DVs.
I think that the Turbosmart ones are better, but they are more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
ER charge pipe with the Forge DVs.
I think that the Turbosmart ones are better, but they are more expensive.
Not by much: Forge dv set is quoted 335 USD by the HP Autowerks (don't know if anybody else sells them cheaper) and turbosmart kit costs 339.95 at amazon.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #15
a7med606
First Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 1 ///M + F80 M3

i use to run the turbo smart diverters back on my 335i , they was good but there was something i didnt like it that when you left the throttle you can hear the whoooosh sound twice that means one is spitting before the other one , cant explain it but i hope you got the idea .
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
a7med606
First Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep

forgot to say that i sold the diverters to a friend and one of them has been opened from the top and got the piston and spring out of it , i will try to get the pictures from him , the good thing is that turbo smart will change it under warranty .
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
I'm running an ER Chargepipe and HKS SSQV 4 BOV.

It sounds mental but I'm finding the BOV to be a bit loud. It was fun yesterday when I almost scared a ricer in a 370Z off the road though...

I've actually just ordered a plumb-back adapter for it to try and quiet it down a bit...
      11-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #18
a7med606
First Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep

does any one tried the active autowerke bov kit ? charge pipe with bov
is yes , how is it ?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
marc@x-ph.com
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

DV wise: stocks hold up pretty well if you ask me. if they're gone then Forge is the way to go.
Appreciate 0