BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Question Rear-ended - need your expert advice

On the freeway commuting to work a couple days ago, the dude behind me wasn't paying attention to the line of stopped cars, and bam! smacks into the back of me. Visually, only the rear bumper and diffuser were damaged, but when they removed those they found that the rear body panel sustained a dent (pictured below). It appears to be pushed in and slightly seperated. The guy hit me going about 15-20 mph and swerved out of the way, hitting the right back side.

My question: Is this something to be concerned about with regard to diminished value or structural integrity? The labor is billed for 6 hours on this portion alone, which tells me it is fairly intensive. The other party's insurance is covering the cost obviously, but I'd like to make sure I'm put back to whole- not looking to get something for nothing or nickel and dime. Just want it perfect.

Thanks in advance!

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper

Last edited by PrimoM3; 09-17-2009 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: added photo
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I got hit back in May...and then a second time in May...

Both times the bumper cover and diffuser were only slightly damaged. But underneath it all there is much more damage. Get it checked, especially if your bumber bar is dented/cracked.

Besides you got rearended, the guy that hit you has to pay for everything.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Let me guess he was talking on the phone, smoking and eating a twinky so he was too busy to worry about the trivial task of operating a 3300lb machine properly

Well he will be responsible so that is good. hope it works out for you and the car is back to normal but if they are anything like the body shop that just tried to repaint my bumper the tried 2 times and still cant get it right and it was rec'd by my insurance.lol They appear to not understand how to rub paint out. Amazing. No one knows how to do their jobs anymore and takes no pride in doing so.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
Let me guess he was talking on the phone, smoking and eating a twinky so he was too busy to worry about the trivial task of operating a 3300lb machine properly

Well he will be responsible so that is good. hope it works out for you and the car is back to normal but if they are anything like the body shop that just tried to repaint my bumper the tried 2 times and still cant get it right and it was rec'd by my insurance.lol They appear to not understand how to rub paint out. Amazing. No one knows how to do their jobs anymore and takes no pride in doing so.
I could not agree more with this statement- except to say it is the far minority who do (not everyone). Sucks to be honest. I worked as hard as I do now in a Fortune 50 company when I was taking pizza orders at 16. Do your job (well) and take pride in your work. Not that hard.

Back on topic:
For what it's worth, their insurance company is being really good about everything and has assumed liability, including a rental car for me. I just dont want to sign on the dotted line if this is serious damage and can only be band-aided, so to speak. Will my car ride funny or rust down the line? Did it just jeopardize CPO certification? Do I have a claim for diminished value? Would a potential buyer pass on something cause of this?

Thanks again folks.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo135 View Post
I could not agree more with this statement- except to say it is the far minority who do (not everyone). Sucks to be honest. I worked as hard as I do now in a Fortune 50 company when I was taking pizza orders at 16. Do your job (well) and take pride in your work. Not that hard.

Back on topic:
For what it's worth, their insurance company is being really good about everything and has assumed liability, including a rental car for me. I just dont want to sign on the dotted line if this is serious damage and can only be band-aided, so to speak. Will my car ride funny or rust down the line? Did it just jeopardize CPO certification? Do I have a claim for diminished value? Would a potential buyer pass on something cause of this?

Thanks again folks.

Yes to answer all your questions. The car will be worth less with claims against it in a trade in situation. All goes on Carfax. Private party I doubt it if you can show the damage was minor. I am not sure about going after the insurance for diminished value.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep

Bump- anyone with bodyshop experience or auto sales?

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I was hit in may and im still not sure about dimished value claims. I can say however, that if the other guy's insurance is paying for it go for a full repair. My body shop did an excellent job and ended up replacing about 6-7K of damage. You cant tell that the car was hit at all, even the paint matches perfectly.

Ohh quick tip. If your exhaust is shot (like mine was) push for it to be replaced the BMW performance exhaust. Its only $50 more than a replacement stock exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

that sux!
      09-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo135 View Post
[*]On the freeway commuting to work a couple days ago, the dude behind me wasn't paying attention to the line of stopped cars, and bam! smacks into the back of me. Visually, only the rear bumper and diffuser were damaged, but when they removed those they found that the rear body panel sustained a dent (pictured below). It appears to be pushed in and slightly seperated. The guy hit me going about 15-20 mph and swerved out of the way, hitting the right back side

My question: Is this something to be concerned about with regard to diminished value or structural integrity? [SIZE="1"]The labor is billed for 6 hours on this portion alone, which tells me it is fairly intensive. The other party's insurance is covering the cost obviously, but I'd like to make sure I'm put back to whole- not looking to get something for nothing or nickel and dime. Just want it perfect.

Thanks in advance!

OP:
My former 2003 Z4 was rear ended in 2005 resulting in rear and front end damage.
The car was repaired beautifully (as good as new) for approx $14K.
In 2008 I received $6K less for my Z4 from the BMW dealer on trade than I would otherwise have received had it not been previuosly damaged.
So, YES you should be concerned about diminished residual value
But there is bugger all you can do about it and you will not be successful with Insurance companies trying to get any compensation.
      09-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

That bites amigo. If you were in FL...I'd take care of you...1-877-SUE-THEM.. :O Diminished value is a real concern, especially on a car like this, however, recent policies will usually not cover the same and have a ride excluding it...doesn't make it right...just uncollectable from the defendant's carrier...that means going after the smuck that hit you....I'd be leary of buying any sports car with blood on its hands...hence the diminished value argument...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
The insurance company I work for pays Diminution in Value claims, but as a claimant, you have to ask for it. It will not be offered to you, generally. It's part of your damages.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0