BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

SSK options for 128i

Is there anything available to short shift a 128i other than BMW? I've seen a thread or two where this question was posed but never answered, and I'd really like to know.

Also, what part(s) of my warranty would suffer if I were to go with something besides BMW's kit?

Thanks y'all!
      07-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog
Is there anything available to short shift a 128i other than BMW? I've seen a thread or two where this question was posed but never answered, and I'd really like to know.

Also, what part(s) of my warranty would suffer if I were to go with something besides BMW's kit?

Thanks y'all!
Theres a few, uuc make a (more expensive short throw (not cut) shifter, but it's rather pricey, half the results i find on it say theysuck, the rest are glowing.. Ive been told schmiedmann has an adjustable one, i'll look into it when im home in 15
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
128i BMP SSK is just a shift leaver + boot & knob
UUC 128i includes an adjustable shift lever(possibly same parts as e90 328i) and for 100+ more a DSSR( an improved selector rod, can be purchased separate )
Schmiedmann is just a rod: Part number SCMSHIFT ont heir website http://www.schmiedmann.com/SCMSHIFT/...uctnumber.aspx

This is weak compared to the 135i SSK kits which usually include a Shifting Arm. Therefore they can get as much as 3 pieces to replace ( Rod, DSSR, Shifting arm) in addition to cosmetic.

Alternatives include going the DIY cheaper method:

the Z4 shift rods & e60 Short shift rod/kit have been used by other BMW's and can be had for less than just the 128i BMP shift rod alone. Z4 i think is more aggressive in reduction while e60 is less.
And then buy the UUC DSSR & the ZHP e46 knob
WARNING: no one here has done this, so make sure you compare pictures 128i stock & BMP rods to the desired alternative. I think e82 has a kink near the ball and I don't know the significance it plays in leaver position & feel.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 07-12-2012 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
128i BMP SSK is just a shift leaver + boot & knob
UUC 128i includes an adjustable shift lever(possibly same parts as e90 328i) and for 100+ more a DSSR( an improved selector rod, can be purchased separate )
Schmiedmann is just a rod: Part number SCMSHIFT ont heir website http://www.schmiedmann.com/SCMSHIFT/...uctnumber.aspx

This is weak compared to the 135i SSK kits which usually include a Shifting Arm. Therefore they can get as much as 3 pieces to replace ( Rod, DSSR, Shifting arm) in addition to cosmetic.

Alternatives include going the DIY cheaper method:

the Z4 shift rods & e60 Short shift rod/kit have been used by other BMW's and can be had for less than just the 128i BMP shift rod alone. Z4 i think is more aggressive in reduction while e60 is less.
And then buy the UUC DSSR & the ZHP e46 knob
WARNING: no one here has done this, so make sure you compare pictures 128i stock & BMP rods to the desired alternative. I think e82 has a kink near the ball and I don't know the significance it plays in leaver position & feel.
So are you saying that UUC does not have a complete SSK for the 128i? I did email them but they kinda pissed me off sending an automated resdponse that they no longer accept emails so that's why I'm asking here.

I really don't want to experiment with mix and match - I want to get a designed kit that replaces stock shifting mechanism which I feel, due to the sideloads of the forces applied and the sturdiness of the involved moving parts, is weak.

B&M has an SSK but I don't think it addresses the sideload force issue, and I don't know if it's available for the 128.

UUC makes no reference to the 128 in the '1-series' category but does mention the 335 in the 1 series category (?)

BMW's kit seems to shorten the throw but maybe uses the same flawed design?

Not adverse to waiting around till someone develops the right kit, but I suspect that since there don't seem to be many 128s around with MT there's little likelihood.
      07-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
FWIW, I think the BMWP SSK is really nice, and if you buy the shift lever alone (not the full kit) it's only ~$60.
      07-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
So are you saying that UUC does not have a complete SSK for the 128i?
I believe for 128i UUC is just a Rod w/ or w/out DSSR. Maybe you can verify with e90 328i UUC users?

But as 128i owners I think we are stuck with just Rods & DSSR, no one has made a Shifting Arm for us.

Quote:
I really don't want to experiment with mix and match - I want to get a designed kit that replaces stock shifting mechanism which I feel, due to the sideloads of the forces
I think the DSSR fixes this.

Quote:
B&M has an SSK but I don't think it addresses the sideload force issue, and I don't know if it's available for the 128.

UUC makes no reference to the 128 in the '1-series' category but does mention the 335 in the 1 series category (?)
Havent seen any B&M products, links???

UUC website has 128i specific kit. I think e88 is different, so be careful
Take note of the DSSR part number/name it is not same as 135i.

Quote:
BMW's kit seems to shorten the throw but maybe uses the same flawed design?
Compared to 135i SSK, we have old Shifting Arm. If it is a flawed design, then yes you are correct.
Otherwise the UUC DSSR will fix any issues that BMP SSK leaves behind

Quote:
Not adverse to waiting around till someone develops the right kit, but I suspect that since there don't seem to be many 128s around with MT there's little likelihood.

Overall my suggestion is as follows if you want to save some cash:

BMP Shift Rod only & NEW Clips and such- only downside is that it has a plastic/composite 'ball' on the rod and will wear over time and be more loose(5+ years), it is also shorter in height than UUC- who makes their taller in lowest setting
OR Schmedmann Rod- it is cheaper than UUC and both are adjustable w/ metal 'ball' but S*mann's has more adjustable features

UUC DSSR no one has said a bad thing about this( except a 135i 'beta' tester in 2009) and it reduces wobble according to their demo video/GIF

OEM e46 ZHP knob - same weight as BMP, cheaper and its leather. So looks good with regular shift boot, no need for new boot

Regarding Warranty, i don't think they will care unless then can prove that custom SSK caused mechanical failure

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 07-12-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

I've had quite a few bad dealings with UUC myself in the past, I wouldn't do business with them again.
      07-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I've had quite a few bad dealings with UUC myself in the past, I wouldn't do business with them again.
True, I've seen many threads about poor support and wrongful blame. This is why I said a DSSR( $120) is the most one should get from them.

Regarding UUC 128i SSK, the only 128i that I found to have it has the e90 328i version w/out DSSR and says it still feels like new.
Therefore, its possible that other SSK shift rods for e90/e92 328i work: AA, Rouge Engineering ...

:::UPDATE
Looked up the 128i Shifting Arm & Shift Rod & Selector rod(upgraded by DSSR/WSR)and its the same Part#'s as e90/e92, INCLUDING the BMP Shift rod!!!
: How did we not see this before!! In fact 330i came with the 128i BMP Rod and has different 330i BMP SSKrod part# which matches 130i SSK!!

So e9x 328i SSK should work!!!!!!
List is
AA
Rouge Engineering( $300 with WSR/DSSR) http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/SSK.html --> best bargain??
UUC(400 with DSSR)
S**man (150 for rod)
B&M- I think e9x 328i has had issues with this
BMP OEM 128i rod
BMP e90 330i Rod???< --- i hear that this is really drastic and does not work for non 330i

FOR SHIFTING ARM
i think we can replace bushings to recapture new feeling:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=25&fg=05
Parts 2,3,4,5 in the image

From what I read the difference between stock 135i and BMP 135i is the metal next to the Sift leaver Bearing. So if an SSK for 128i/328i beefs up that area, the effect could be the same...
B&M is the only one that does this with their dampened pivot cup

DSSR/ WSR
Also according to the link below, Rouge engineering makes a DSSR (aka WSR) for e9x 325i/328i
http://www.beastpower.com/p/bmw/rogu...ing/RG-BE3-SSK

Last edited by andrey_gta; 07-12-2012 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, I've seen many threads about poor support and wrongful blame. This is why I said a DSSR( $120) is the most one should get from them.

Regarding UUC 128i SSK, the only 128i that I found to have it has the e90 328i version w/out DSSR and says it still feels like new.
Therefore, its possible that other SSK shift rods for e90/e92 328i work: AA, Rouge Engineering ...

:::UPDATE
Looked up the 128i Shifting Arm & Shift Rod & Selector rod(upgraded by DSSR/WSR)and its the same Part#'s as e90/e92, INCLUDING the BMP Shift rod!!!
: How did we not see this before!! In fact 330i came with the BMP Rod and has different BMP part!!

So e9x 328i SSK should work!!!!!!
List is
AA
Rouge Engineering
UUC
S**man
B&M- I think e9x 328i has had issues with this
BMP OEM 128i rod
BMP e90 330i Rod???

FOR SHIFTING ARM
i think we can replace bushings to recapture new feeling:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=25&fg=05
Parts 2,3,4,5 in the image

DSSR
Also according to the link below, Rouge engineering makes a DSSR (aka WSR) for e9x 325i/328i
http://www.beastpower.com/p/bmw/rogu...ing/RG-BE3-SSK
That's a lot to assimilate, but I will research these options and see what is workable. I'll post back when I figure something out. I agree with the possibility of poor service from UUC - they have a link soliciting email questions and you get a response back saying they don't answer questions via email. Good customer service mandates that you take the link down, and in the meantime honor the requrests for information. I'll look elsewhere for the DSSR.
      07-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Here is the email they sent me telling me they don't answer emails. It woulda been quicker to just answer 'yes' or 'no' to the question I posed - which was 'Do you have an SSK for the 128i?' But no, I get a long response on how they don't answer emails.

Likely this disregard for their future customers will translate to issues later as an existing customer, so no thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting UUC Motorwerks!

In the interest of efficient and accurate customer support, please note that we no longer offer e-mail correspondence except in the case of overseas customers.

PRODUCT QUESTIONS:
==================
Most technical and fitment questions are answered on our website, http://www.uucmotorwerks.com If you are a domestic USA/Canada customer and still need assistance, please CALL 678-679-5360.
-------------------------------------------------------
Overseas customers: please provide the last 7 digits of your vehicle's VIN to determine correct fitment.

SHIPPING COST QUESTIONS:
========================
If you are a domestic USA/Canada customer, please use the online shipping calculator... simply add items to your shopping cart and click the "determine shipping and sales tax" link on the left side of the window.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Overseas customers, please e-mail your complete address and product list.

SHIPPING STATUS QUESTIONS:
==========================
All customers: click the "check status" link in the original order confirmation that was e-mailed to you. The information presented there is accurate.

SHIPPING PROBLEM QUESTIONS:
===========================
If you are a domestic USA/Canada customer, please call and ask for "Shipping Department", have your ORDER NUMBER available, thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Overseas customers, please e-mail your question including your order number.

Thank you for your support and patronage of UUC Motorwerks

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com * 678-679-5360
      07-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
Here is the email they sent me telling me they don't answer emails.
As a Canadian/oversees, I didn't get any better response

See my previous post, ROUGE engineering has a DSSR, they call it WSR
And its in their 325 e9x kit!! or sold separately.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
FWIW, I think the BMWP SSK is really nice, and if you buy the shift lever alone (not the full kit) it's only ~$60.

+1. IF you only replace the shift lever and the plastic cup/bearing and all the little bushings - you will get 80% the SSK "feel".

You can also buy the entire SSK too. BMW part #25110444655

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...82&hg=25&fg=95

I have the Perf SSK on my 135i and its really a great kit. The car should have come with it! It is that good.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I have the Perf SSK on my 135i and its really a great kit. The car should have come with it! It is that good.

Dack
Besides the warranty aspect, why did you go BMP?
Did you have access to try others.

I know for 128i when i tried the SSK in someones car( didnt drive), I was shocked at the throw reduction. To the point that I would want 5 degrees of extra movement over 128i SSK.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Thanks so much for helping with this...

So let me see if I understand this correctly -

Can I take the BMW performance SSK important parts (no boot or knob) and add the 'WSR' to that upgrade and thereby solve everything for the most part? That seems like the way to go.

Or, is there a significant advantage to spec'ing the BSM shifter lever and the WSR instead?

Or, am I simplifying things too much?

I do want to add that I do not have the facilities to do this myself - I'll be supplying a pile of parts to the mechanic and --- ? little scary with so many different mfgs
      07-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Besides the warranty aspect, why did you go BMP?
Did you have access to try others.

I know for 128i when i tried the SSK in someones car( didnt drive), I was shocked at the throw reduction. To the point that I would want 5 degrees of extra movement over 128i SSK.
Because on past BMW's I have tried aftermarket SSK's and have always been pointed by them. Too notchy, missing parts, no install diagrams, ect. With the Perf SSK, everything just works like it should. Came with good instructions and even keeps the factory warranty!

I would also say you should also change your trans fluid if you care about shifter feel and wear and tear on your trans.

Performance short shifter... (see my post #20)...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...dealer+zentrum

DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...erformance+SSK

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Shocked meaning you didn't think the throws were short enough?

I seem to recall thinking the difference was more subtle than I expected at first. And it took some miles to break in. But honestly, I think the stock shifter is already pretty good with short-ish throws that didn't really need to be reduced by that much. It's more of a fine-tuning than a dramatic, night and day difference.
      07-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Shocked meaning you didn't think the throws were short enough?

I seem to recall thinking the difference was more subtle than I expected at first. And it took some miles to break in. But honestly, I think the stock shifter is already pretty good with short-ish throws that didn't really need to be reduced by that much. It's more of a fine-tuning than a dramatic, night and day difference.
too short, but its a personal preference. I think for me a little more movement would be good.

I will try it again before deciding if I want any SSK

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #18
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I like it as is. Also like Msport shift lever over ssk.
      07-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Shocked meaning you didn't think the throws were short enough?...

I don't know about the 128i SSK. But here are the throw specs for the 135i/1M...

N54 = 80mm throws
N54 w/Perf SSK = 55mm throws
N55 (& 1M) = 70mm throws

25mm's doesn't sound like a big difference... but the feel (shifter)change is HUGE!

Your shifting effort will increase somewhare (bc you have less of a fulcrum effect) but what I like about the Perf SSK is that is works smoothly, every shift. I think that is something that can not be said for the aftermarket kits. Typically you have issues with 1st or reverse gear selections. Not with the Performance SSK. Back when my shifter was stock... sometimes it felt like my finger tips would be hitting the plastic trim bellow the AC controls. Not any more now with the Perf SSK!

PS: Perhaps someone with a 128i w/Perf SSK can measure their shifter throws. ?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
SkinnyVT
P1
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

If you are just looking for a shorter throw pretty much any BMW shift lever can be swapped in. I vaguely remember a thread on one of the other BMW forums comparing the pivot locations of the shift levers of various models. I am running a 95 M3 shifter in my e30, no sense is spending $100+ on something you can get for <$20 unless you want some ridiculously short throw shifter that you can't tell what gear you are in, then you are on your own and should buy something from the clowns at UUC.
      07-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about the 128i SSK. But here are the throw specs for the 135i/1M...

N54 = 80mm throws
N54 w/Perf SSK = 55mm throws
N55 (& 1M) = 70mm throws

25mm's doesn't sound like a big difference... but the feel (shifter)change is HUGE!

Your shifting effort will increase somewhare (bc you have less of a fulcrum effect) but what I like about the Perf SSK is that is works smoothly, every shift. I think that is something that can not be said for the aftermarket kits. Typically you have issues with 1st or reverse gear selections. Not with the Performance SSK. Back when my shifter was stock... sometimes it felt like my finger tips would be hitting the plastic trim bellow the AC controls. Not any more now with the Perf SSK!

I have a lot of respect for you Dacleone I've read a lot of your posts and find I agree with you a lot of the time. I was sort of leaning in that direction but now that you have chimed in I think I'm going to keep it simple and just have the dealer install the kit.

A couple questions if you don't mind... the 128 kit does not include the arm like the 135 does. Is there a sacrifice in not replacing the arm, or is it a matter of a different control layout?

Also, is there a real advantage to adding the DSSR or WSR to the mix? It concerns me that by applying a sideload to these linkages one is asking for premature, slow wear. I have visions of this precision shifting mechanism becoming less precise as the sideloads cause the shafts and linkages to rotate in their mounts, weakening and grooving the pins and plastic balls to the point where it shifts like my '63 Falcon did. Is this a valid concern or am I underestimating the engineering?

I've asked my dealer to supply a quote for everything but the knob and boot. I'll post what he gives me.
      07-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #22
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wouldn't mind doing so, but I have to wait until I get my car back from the dealer.