BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
EM58NDS 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M135i

Clutch setup for stage1 hybrid turbo N54?

Since going FBO on Cobb Stage2+, i have noticed my stock clutch slipping at times in almost every gear on hard pulls. I already have a set of stage1 hybrid turbos ready to install, so i know i am going to need to upgrade the clutch now.

I was wondering what you guys consider the best clutch & flywheel combo for a daily driven 2008 hybrid turbo N54? Would need to handle roughly 500hp/500ftlbs adequately!

I am leaning towards the F10 550i clutch, is that a good way to go for a DD? Still totally unsure what flywheel would be best suited?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Yo lemme holler at you for a second. The reason cheap people like me picked the 550i clutch kit is because it's cheap.

If you are going legitski power, go legitski on the clutch. Two things to consider - the car wasn't meant to be a 500hp/500ft-lb daily driver, so asking for a setup to retain the daily driveability (is that even a word?) is a lot to ask.

My recommendation for you is the following: ACT 6puck sprung/extreme PP (or whatever they call their high performance PP at this point.) Mate this to an ACT SMFW- You'll have a mild amount of chatter, but you won't have to worry about this setup for a long long time, and it will destroy your tires and transmission before it destroys itself.

;]

http://www.advancedclutch.com/bm8-hdg6

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
EM58NDS 135i
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone had experience with this?

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/segme...peed-p698.aspx
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Spec stage 2+ with oem dmfw should
Be good unless you go over 600whp which I don't see. I have it and it's super drive able with 550 whp/tq holding power
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Cobb Stage 2+ is worth about 450 lb ft of torque. If you like the easy to drive, quiet operation you already have I'd look at the 335is/550i clutch option. I'd also consider a new flywheel depending how many miles you have and the abuse you've put it threw. There are a small handful of failures and luckily no injuries yet. If you don't mind noise, and some cars are quite noisy I'd look at the at the mfactory flywheel and take you pick of which clutch you want. I wouldn't go beyond a 2+ clutch though.
      05-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
EM58NDS 135i
Private First Class
Rep

How do you find the Spec stage 3+ clutch & flywheel? I could be interested in the stage 3, as i have hybrid turbos waiting to go in! I like the idea of the F10 550i setup or even ZF Sachs SRE performance clutch, but i am not sure how either of them would hold up with the extra torque hybrid turbos will throw at it. I am yet to find anyone running those clutches who isn't just FBO.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM58NDS 135i View Post
How do you find the Spec stage 3+ clutch & flywheel? I could be interested in the stage 3, as i have hybrid turbos waiting to go in! I like the idea of the F10 550i setup or even ZF Sachs SRE performance clutch, but i am not sure how either of them would hold up with the extra torque hybrid turbos will throw at it. I am yet to find anyone running those clutches who isn't just FBO.
It's not for anybody who like there car to feel like a luxury/sport daily driven car. It's not quite on/off but it's grabby and inconsistent. Meaning stop and go traffic if I slip the clutch a little too much it gets even grabbier. I've been driving manual sports cars for 22 years and never stalled a car as much as this. Break in was terrible it would jack hammer the hell out of the rear end in reverse if I didn't rev it to 3.5K and constantly try to slip the clutch. I still get some jack hammering if I try to take off normal in parking lots where i have to really go slow, which is embarrassing at car meets. I can rev to 3K+ to avoid this but I don't wanna be that guy at the car meet either spinning tires or revving everywhere. This is why I recommend not going past stage 2+ as the material on that supposedly makes it somewhat better.

As for the flywheel I'm not a fan of the chattering it does with the AC on, makes the car sound like a big POS but if you either are going to go over 550HP or are concerned about safetly of a DMFW breaking you don't have much of a choice.

My personal opinion the N54 cars lose their appeal after 450-500HP as you lose the luxory/sport that turned me on to the cars. If I wanted an annoying race car wannabe I would have just bought a mustang.
      05-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
My personal opinion the N54 cars lose their appeal after 450-500HP as you lose the luxory/sport that turned me on to the cars. If I wanted an annoying race car wannabe I would have just bought a mustang.
yep, if I wanted a highway star I would have slapped a supercharger on a mustang

I'd go oem flywheel and 550i clutch, it feels way better than stock and is easily streetable and just keep the FBO car until the turbos go.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Yo lemme holler at you for a second. The reason cheap people like me picked the 550i clutch kit is because it's cheap.

If you are going legitski power, go legitski on the clutch. Two things to consider - the car wasn't meant to be a 500hp/500ft-lb daily driver, so asking for a setup to retain the daily driveability (is that even a word?) is a lot to ask.

My recommendation for you is the following: ACT 6puck sprung/extreme PP (or whatever they call their high performance PP at this point.) Mate this to an ACT SMFW- You'll have a mild amount of chatter, but you won't have to worry about this setup for a long long time, and it will destroy your tires and transmission before it destroys itself.

;]

http://www.advancedclutch.com/bm8-hdg6
This read like an informercial pitch by the lovechild of Wayne Brady and Guy Fieri lol
Appreciate 0