BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #23
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

I (or my insurance co.) was probably ripped off, but BMW in Torrance, CA charged me just under $1900 (parts/labor) to replace my 135i windshield. I complained, but Service just kept saying that's the cost... the cost is the cost. Thank goodness for my awesome ALLSTATE agent who fought and got me the remaining balance (reimbursed).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #24
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Windshield (including molding and rain sensor) on my 135 was replaced three weeks ago. Took 2 guys about 2 hours to complete the job. Eight hours is way out of line.

I have full glass coverage with no deductible, so there were no out of pocket expenses. However the insurance company (State Farm) has recently implemented a windshield policy where they cover the costs for third party parts and and the policyholder is responsible for any expenses above that. However, the company that did the replacement informed the insurance that there are no third party windshield suppliers so all the parts were obtained from the local BMW dealer.

Last edited by Pamlico; 05-26-2009 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #25
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

This is too funny. It takes a good installed about 1 hour to do the job. It is also covered un Comp, and all you pay is the deductible.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50
      06-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
Too bad you have to replace the entire windshield. The seals and alignment are never as good as from the factory. Agree that ins. co. should pay for labor at the shop of your choosing. Personally, I would choose a certified BMW Collision Center.
I had my 325i windshield and my A4 windshield replaced, both got cracked by trucks kicking up a rock just right.
Both replacements were perfect. No signs at all that they were repaired. No leaks, no air, just like new.
In my 2 experiences I'd have to say that your comment isn't true at all.
Modern auto repair is amazing. Even crashed cars can be returned to new. Modern cars are built so that parts are easily and perfectly interchangeable. It's not like the old days at all.

Rules vary state to state with insurance. In Indiana, my 325i was covered 100% by State Farm. On my 2006 A4, 3 yrs after the 325i, State Farm changed their policy. They will pay 100% if you simply get it repaired, with that "filler" stuff. So, I tried that. It cost the insurance company $80. It didn't work, and it was in my line of sight. So, I looked into getting it replaced. Even the dealers use the windshield replacement companies.
The dealer techs don't do the actual windshield install. I was allowed, by the insurance company, to get an aftermarket shield or to choose an "Audi" windshield. I opted for the OEM Audi unit so that it would have the Audi logo. However, neither all shields are made by a handful of shield manufacturers. They just stamp the manufacturers logo on it.

My Audi dealer took my car in, and I got a loaner. The shield replacement company ordered an OEM shield, and then they came to the dealer to do the repair. The benefit was that my dealer gave me a loaner while the repair was being done.
Also, some of the bigger replacement companies have now changed their deductible policy. State Farm pays for the windshield R&R, and you pay the deductible to the service company. The company I went with waives the deductible, so it becomes a free replacement. I asked how this was possible, and they said it's a way to get more customers as it doesn't cost the customer anything as long as they have insurance. It's sort of like medical insurance where the doctor can waive your deductible if they choose.

Check into it in your state. The replacement company I used, I believe works throughout the US, or at least throughout the midwest.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50
      06-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #27
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Perhaps the dealer is not really interested in doing it, so he has bumped up the labor cost to try and get you to go elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #28
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Windshield and Auto Sensing Wipers

Windshied replacment with Auto Sensing Wipers is often not done correctly with the sensor later seperating from the windshield. If you can't find a BMW dealer that will replace the windshield at a more reasonable price, then you will have a few quotes to discuss with Geico. The Florida Insurance Commisioner's office may also motivate your insurance company. I am originally from Florida and have been down this road.

Last edited by bim2er; 06-26-2009 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Addendum
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #29
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Mine's been replaced for almost a year now and it's handled the cold and the heat just fine and nothing has happened to the sensors, and I didn't have it done by the dealer. It lines up perfect, it fits fine, if I didn't tell you it had been replaced I doubt you could tell.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #30
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I'm not sure I would want the dealer doing a windshield replacement unless the guys doing the work had recent experience. The independents do nothing but windshields all day. The sensor for the rain sensor wipers is a good point but BMW is not the only car with them (I first experienced that feature on a rental Avalon).

I've had several windshields replaced on lesser cars by independents without any issues. In SC they are free with no deductable and they will even come to where you work and do the replacement in the parking lot. Somebody who knows what they are doing should be able to do it in about an hour. I am assuming the basic process is the same on a BMW but I can't imagine it's a lot different.

Jim
      01-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #31
A321 Driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I'm not sure I would want the dealer doing a windshield replacement unless the guys doing the work had recent experience. The independents do nothing but windshields all day. The sensor for the rain sensor wipers is a good point but BMW is not the only car with them (I first experienced that feature on a rental Avalon).

I've had several windshields replaced on lesser cars by independents without any issues. In SC they are free with no deductable and they will even come to where you work and do the replacement in the parking lot. Somebody who knows what they are doing should be able to do it in about an hour. I am assuming the basic process is the same on a BMW but I can't imagine it's a lot different.

Jim
Hello. I live in SC and have USAA. Please tell me what company I can call for the no deductible option, I have a 135i. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #32
HIPSI
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

My Indy replaced my sensor equipped windshield for just over $300 with BMW glass, 4 or 5 months ago. All's perfect...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #33
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPSI View Post
My Indy replaced my sensor equipped windshield for just over $300 with BMW glass, 4 or 5 months ago. All's perfect...
That's really good.
Can you tell me who you used for my future reference? I'm near
Houston
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #34
HIPSI
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

ABR on Kuykendahl in Spring. Top notch shop, ask for Alex...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:17 PM   #35
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPSI View Post
ABR on Kuykendahl in Spring. Top notch shop, ask for Alex...
Thanks.
Appreciate 0