BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #331
mangotangoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Local dealer just advised that they are willing replace transmission oil to the LT-5 at no cost. But only because I am insisting.
      04-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #332
Butse
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2013 1 M coupe

Why is my dealer using 0W30????
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #333
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butse View Post
Why is my dealer using 0W30????
Do you mean engine oil? Last posts were about the transmission oil.

OW30 is among the right oils for the 1M. I choose to use 0W40 for mine, which is also among the approved grades.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 02:29 AM   #334
Butse
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2013 1 M coupe

Yes,engine oil ,i just dont see the difference
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #335
S4Sprint
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M

My specs match yours and show the cooling system holds 10.4 litre of coolant. 5.2 litre of BMW coolant would be required if the system is totally drained. BMW coolant needs to be diluted 50/50.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #336
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

I m doing less than 3000 miles per year since I got the car, what kind of interval should I do for each fluid on a time basis?
      06-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #337
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Did your dealer use the SAF-XJ+FM gear fluid in the diff ? That's the correct fluid as well.
I'm pretty sure my dealer originally installed +FM (Will confirm in the morning when they open) rear diff oil during 2000km service. But at 32,000 km, they switched to non-FM. Should I be worried? I read you shouldn't swap back once you start using +FM, but I can't find out why.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #338
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
I'm pretty sure my dealer originally installed +FM (Will confirm in the morning when they open) rear diff oil during 2000km service. But at 32,000 km, they switched to non-FM. Should I be worried? I read you shouldn't swap back once you start using +FM, but I can't find out why.
I would be worried. BMW doesn't put out these guide lines for no reason. While I do not know why they say once you use +FM you should never go back to non +FM. There has to be a logical reason - knowing how the Germans think. I just do not know why.

@discoboy1 I would be changing your engine oil at least once a year. IF you store your car over the winter maybe change your engine oil before and after the "winter sleep". The reason is the oil will become more acidic as it ages. Also unburnt fuel from stop/starts will buildup in the engine oil. There is that old saying... 20/20... start the engine for less than 20 seconds or run it up to temp for 20 minutes(with a short drive).

As for the gearbox and diff fluids... I would think changing those once every three years would be ok. ?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #339
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I would be worried. BMW doesn't put out these guide lines for no reason. While I do not know why they say once you use +FM you should never go back to non +FM. There has to be a logical reason - knowing how the Germans think. I just do not know why.
Spoke with the dealership and they knew what they were doing --- Apparently they were about to install the +FM fluid, same as when I had the break in service done, but the shop foreman highlighted the fact there's a new service bulletin out that 1M's (and I assume e9x M3s) get the non FM stuff. INTERESTING. I hope they aren't just blowing smoke up my .... But at least I've made them aware. If I have LSD issues, it's on them! (I even highlighted the concern about switching back from FM, but apparently it isn't a huge deal)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #340
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Spoke with the dealership and they knew what they were doing --- Apparently they were about to install the +FM fluid, same as when I had the break in service done, but the shop foreman highlighted the fact there's a new service bulletin out that 1M's (and I assume e9x M3s) get the non FM stuff. INTERESTING. I hope they aren't just blowing smoke up my .... But at least I've made them aware. If I have LSD issues, it's on them! (I even highlighted the concern about switching back from FM, but apparently it isn't a huge deal)
Humm... I think I would like to see that in writing before believing them. Remember when the 1M came out and all these "know it all" dealers said the 1M doesn't use anything special(MTF-LT5 vs LT3 that was used in the M3's)... well.. they were all wrong. This is the first I have heard of BMW saying you can switch back to SAF-XJ after using SAF-XJ +FM oil in the diff.

I think if it were MY CAR I would put the +FM back in the diff. But that's just me.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #341
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Might want to send an email to tech writer (Mike) at Roundel; I seem to remember him being pretty emphatic about not switching back...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #342
dEvo6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Kept yesterday my car from dealer after servicing and left it there again today after having realized that they put Castrol TWS 10W60 motor oil instead of 5W30 or 0W40
Now I'm going to keeping it again and hope
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:37 AM   #343
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Might want to send an email to tech writer (Mike) at Roundel; I seem to remember him being pretty emphatic about not switching back...
Yup, you should put +FM back in the diff. There IS a reason why BMW says never to switch back once you start to use +FM in a diff.

@dEvo6 Sorry to hear they used the wrong oil. Just look at the guys who bought the new M3/M4... they are going thru these "hassles" too. I don't understand why BMW does not properly train their dealer network.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #344
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ask them to produce a copy of the TSB. I bet they won't. And yes... they were blowing smoke up your...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #345
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
I'm coming up to my 10,000 mile (16,000 km) service according to my cars dash. What's part of this service and what should I look out for?

I will be taking the car in for this service Aug 16 so just want to be prepared. Couldn't find much with the forum search on this second service.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #346
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Ok just dropped by the dealership to inquire about my second service. The rep at the service desk told me it's not going to be anything heavy. He printed out a copy of what the service will consist of. Does this look accurate to you guys?

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #347
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

That actually seems like a pretty extensive service for 10k miles:

Engine oil
Manual transmission
Diff

All my dealer did at my 2nd service was oil, engine air filter and a set of wipers...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:43 AM   #348
dEvo6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
That actually seems like a pretty extensive service for 10k miles:

Engine oil
Manual transmission
Diff

All my dealer did at my 2nd service was oil, engine air filter and a set of wipers...
I have paid 258 euro last week for only Engine Oil/Oil Filter
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 03:27 AM   #349
1mPanda
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Hi everyone, want to change the oil in the gearbox and in Differential, i still have from 2012 one bottle FM booster and MTF-LT5, how do you think can I put two new, and what remains added from old one, or they lose their lose some properties with time?

Last edited by 1mPanda; 08-11-2014 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #350
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mPanda View Post
Hi everyone, want to change the oil in the gearbox and in Differential, i still have from 2012 one bottle FM booster and MTF-LT5, how do you think can I put two new, and what remains added from old one, or they lose their lose some properties with time?
No, it will be fine.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #351
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

@1mPanda yup, its fine to use the old (unused) oil with new oil needed to change your fluids.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #352
nwautoxer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M

Differential Service At CBS Service Counter 3

The dealership serviced the differential at 34634 miles using 3 units of "83-22-2-282-583 Hinterachs-Getriebeol SAF-XJ:832514." This is quoted from the service invoice.

I called the service advisor and questioned the fluid used because:

* Its the fluid with friction modifier

* Its different than the fluid used at the 1200 mile service which was 83-22-2-148-560XJ

* The tech and I had talked about differential fluid in the past and about what constituted normal differential noise in tight, slow speed corners. I consciously chose to retain the fluid that did not have the friction modifier with the intention of having the maximum locking ability in the differential.

The service advisor talked with the tech who immediately understood my question and explained the reason for changing the type of fluid. He said that about a year ago BMW issued a service bulletin specifying the use of fluid with friction modifier in all M cars thereafter. He indicated that this was to address wear issues.

Has anyone else had this happen and received this explanation? My tech is a sharp and reliable guy that I respect. I'm not questioning his work, rather I am interested in gaining insight about wear in the locker versus locking action that is as positive as possible.

Another interesting sidelight is that I took the 1M in for service about 220 miles after the "SERVICE" message appeared in the instrument cluster display. When the service advisor printed out the service information from the key fob, it showed an engine oil and filter change was due, but the manual transmission fluid, differential fluid, and sparkplugs were not due for replacement for another 2400 miles. I later got a call from the service advisor that the tech had hooked the car to the scope and that it showed the transmission, differential, and sparkplugs were due for service at the same time as the engine oil and filter change. Seems strange that the key fob and vehicle computer aren't in sync.
Appreciate 0