BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #45
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

Looks very nice !
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #46
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
The exhaust looks angled slightly to the left, is this correct? If so it looks great! So its just not sticking straight out...

When will this be released along with the straight midpipes?
That's correct, the canister is angled slightly, it helps keep the angle of the final pipe bend a little smaller. There's also gobs of ground clearance as well.

If all goes as planned we should be shipping sometime in February..not sure it this point if it will be the first half of second half but the axleback should be ready to ship by end of February. The intermediate pipe should follow within weeks. I'll have pricing posted on the intermediate pipe later in the month, still a bit up in the air. It will be less than what is available right now though(which are in the $700 range).

R.
      01-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #47
135forthewin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: sideways

When can we get some soundclips?:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #48
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135forthewin View Post
When can we get some soundclips?:roundel:
I'll bite the bullet and try and get some sound clips this weekend...even though it's like 8 degrees (F.) outside here in MA. The reality is despite the frigid cold weather we've been having, I still drive with my drivers side window rolled half way down just to hear the exhaust. I'm very happy with the volume level. It doesn't really sound aftermarket. I know when I first test drove the 135i I thought to myself, "I just wish you could hear the exhaust note a bit", and that is exaclty what this exhaust delivers in axleback form, at least with the rest of the exhaust pipes being stock. You could think of it as this is what you wish the car came with from the factory, and the volume level is sane enough that it could truely pass as something that came standard on the car. Others will want there's louder and would have to go elsewhere or add midpipes that delete the last cats.

R.
      01-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #49
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quick Sound bite

OK folks, this is only a short clip. It was hard to get some decent clips with all the noise from traffic and I really didn't hit any open roads where I can really let it rip. I have a bit move video to sift through and might be able to pull out another decent section, but this short clip pulling from a stop in first and second gear should give you an idea. What you don't hear in the clip is the back gurgle you get when off throttle.

As a reminder, my car is 100% bone stock in every way less this axleback. The camcorder was in my hand held about about my left ear level inside the car with the left window rolled down....and it was 5 degrees out...another reason why I didn't get too much to work with

http://www.daddysscp.com/1forum/maddad_135iab_hq.wmv

Enjoy...more to come

R.
      01-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #50
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
OK folks, this is only a short clip. It was hard to get some decent clips with all the noise from traffic and I really didn't hit any open roads where I can really let it rip. I have a bit move video to sift through and might be able to pull out another decent section, but this short clip pulling from a stop in first and second gear should give you an idea. What you don't hear in the clip is the back gurgle you get when off throttle.

As a reminder, my car is 100% bone stock in every way less this axleback. The camcorder was in my hand held about about my left ear level inside the car with the left window rolled down....and it was 5 degrees out...another reason why I didn't get too much to work with

http://www.daddysscp.com/1forum/maddad_135iab_hq.wmv

Enjoy...more to come

R.
I've gotta say it sounds pretty good. Kind of muted until you get into the upper rev range. I like how it doesn't sound even remotely ricey. Oh and It's good to see a fellow New Englander enjoying the weather
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #51
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Bump for an update...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 12:07 AM   #52
driftdriven
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Yes update please!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #53
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The lastest revision got pushed out a bit, but It's scheduled to be worked on later this week. I'll update the thread as soon as it's done and post some pics with the carbon fiber tips.

R.
      02-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #54
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Cool thanks! I looked up your company on some subaru forums, and wow, they seem to love you and your products...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #55
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

MadDad exhaust...real soon now

Thought it was time for an update. The revised unit with the Carbon Fiber tips is being shipped to me today. I'll have photos next week and should have it installed next weekend. I don't think we will need any further changes and if that holds true we should be shipping this exhaust sometime in March. The plan is to initially offer the exhaust with the SS tips as seen in previous photos, and we will offer the same SS tips with a black satin ceramic coating. The carbon fiber tips that will be seen on the unit being shipped to me will follow as an option for subsequent production runs.

R.
      02-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #56
onehungevo
Captain
Rep
Drives:

maddad do you have a dyno at your shop? Is this going to produce much of a power increase of stock or is it mainly for sound? I'm very interested in a turbo back or straight pipes to replace the cats until the full exhaust is complete.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #57
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

We have serveral local shops in our area where we dyno test our various products, however we were not planning on dyno testing just the axleback as our expectation would be that power gains to the ground would be minimal with the rest of the system being bone stock, not saying none, just not enough that you would justify the price for just the few hp. I see most people wanting the a MadDad axleback just to give the car the more sporting sound you wish it had from the factory without it screaming "look at me, I have an aftermarket exhaust". Our goal with the axleback is offer a sound quality inside the cabin and out that could easily pass as if it were a sport exhaust from the factory. We will positively be doing before/after dyno testing for our full catback when available and although you could make a full catback(from the downpipe cats back) with our catless intermediate pipe we'll be introducing along with our axleback, we are going to introduce a high performance catback maintaining dual outlets right through the axleback section...but one thing at a time, for now we are focused on getting the axleback out with the tone quality, appearance and fitment standards we require.

R.
      02-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #58
Papa13
Go Gators!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 / e90 / e53 / e46

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Nice.. i'm liking all this. What do you think your going to charge for the various systems you guys are going to offer?
18' Blue/Black SEL Premium R-Line 4 Motion Tiguan - Mods on order
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #59
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
We have serveral local shops in our area where we dyno test our various products, however we were not planning on dyno testing just the axleback as our expectation would be that power gains to the ground would be minimal with the rest of the system being bone stock, not saying none, just not enough that you would justify the price for just the few hp. I see most people wanting the a MadDad axleback just to give the car the more sporting sound you wish it had from the factory without it screaming "look at me, I have an aftermarket exhaust". Our goal with the axleback is offer a sound quality inside the cabin and out that could easily pass as if it were a sport exhaust from the factory. We will positively be doing before/after dyno testing for our full catback when available and although you could make a full catback(from the downpipe cats back) with our catless intermediate pipe we'll be introducing along with our axleback, we are going to introduce a high performance catback maintaining dual outlets right through the axleback section...but one thing at a time, for now we are focused on getting the axleback out with the tone quality, appearance and fitment standards we require.

R.
Sound (No drone) and aggressive tips are what I'm looking for, power in these cars generally is achieved from other mods... I just shot you an e-mail...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #60
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

If you can somehow work in a roll tip, i think that would make it look better, just imo.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #61
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Latest MadDad Exhaust pics

One step closer to production

A couple of shots with the CF tips. There are also many small detail changes that were made for this unit. Actually this whole layout here represents what production will be at least with the CF tips. We'll offer a the unit with regular stainless steel tips as well but we haven't committed to the SS tip style just yet. In person I already love the CF and think it's going to look fantastic on the car. There are other detail changes in this unit that aren't as obvious..such as the larger flange bolt holes to make installation easier, the reworked left exhaust hanger and a revised donut flange. We have all the materails in hand to build the first production run with the CF tips. One more test unit to finish and then a final decision on which of the 3 will go to production. Each of the 3 having different volume levels.

I also did a weight in. We have a very accuracy Fairbanks commercial shipping scale and the factory axleback weights in at 30.3 lbs. While we did not design our unit for weight savings, it weighs in at 17.9 lbs so there is a bit of weight loss. I'll have this unit installed this weekend or next weekend depending on the weather as I was planning to meet with another forum member to due some audio/video drive-by's. We should be making a final decision on the volume level by mid March and have production starting by end of March. We may even be able to ship some units by end of March. Just in time for Spring

A couple of pics of the CF tips

A comparison of the pipe bends of factory vs. MadDad.
      02-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #62
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Please keep SS tips as an option...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #63
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

Great job, that's an awesome looking exhaust. I'm loving the tips.

Please let us know what kind of pricing we're looking at here.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #64
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbodybimmer View Post
+1
Have not seen a tip yet on any of the other aftermarket setups that looks as good as stock.
Aren't the oem black tips just slip on style that slip over the standard exhaust pipe? If so, why not buy some from the dealer?
      02-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #65
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

M3R1 - yes SS tips will remain an option, we just haven't committed to a style yet. The one used in the previous sample that is on my car right now are good but I want to find something with a rolled lip and haven't committed yet to a style..but it will positively be an option.

1more - and everyone...regular price is going to be $749. I'll have a part # up on our website shortly and though the end of March you'll be able to order one at $699. Although the exhaust only weights 17lbs the the box will be considered 36 or more by UPS due to its size so expect shipping to be roughly $40.

crzy4135i - you wouldn't believe what BMW wanted to charge just for a replacement flange bolt, I can't imagine what they would want for their tips, however just for giggles I'll actual check on this.

When it comes to tip styles it will be difficult to satisfy everyone. Some want as close to OEM, others want bigger, some like SS. We're going to limit tip options to just two. One the CF, and one the SS with a rolled lip or fully double walled.

I looks like the weather is gonig to be OK tomorrow so hopefully we'll get this unit on a car and tested and offer up a group of audio/video clips. We have one car that is stock other than the axleback(mine) and I have another forum member I'm working with that has a catless RR midpipe so we'll be able to offer some nice comparisons of stock axleback vs. MadDad in different situations. I'll be bringing the DB meter as well for some more data gathering.

Last point everyone should know..when we go to production next month our catless midpipes will be produced at the same time so we'll have a complete catback you'll be able to put together or you'll be able to purchase just the catless midpipes. Pricing will be announced shortly for that.

R.
      02-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #66
BAV_M_PWR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 ///M3

Quote:
The dual exhaust setup is certainly doable, and funny enough it is one of the ideas myself and our fabrication shop have discussed. The real extra effort comes in the rear under spoiler or valance. It's a totally different project to have a new piece made with the extra exhaust tip cutout and currently we don't have a setup or partner for forming that piece. Still it's something I would consider if we could get that piece together.

R.

What if you used Hartge's rear diffuser as your guide...and make it to fit that
design. Their diffuser is reasonably priced...but their exhaust is not
I would definitely purchase your system if you could make that happen! I'd
be happy to buy the diffuser, and have it shipped to your place, so you could
use it as a template...

Appreciate 0