BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2,Cayenne

Lowering springs

Any good lowering spring kits out there for 1M? just looking to drop her a little and not wanting to go down the coilover route if i'm not going to track the car regulary as roads here are pretty poor,

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by willox View Post
Any good lowering spring kits out there for 1M? just looking to drop her a little and not wanting to go down the coilover route if i'm not going to track the car regulary as roads here are pretty poor,

Thanks
H&R has a great set that will drop you about 1.2" front and 0.6" rear. It will eliminate a lot of the wheel gap and gives you a slight handling improvement

H&R Sport Springs for the 1M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I'm pretty happy with the performance of my H&R springs.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Any issues with rubbing etc?also,what geo are you guys running once lowered?reset to oe settings?

Cheers dudes
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i F31

I'm running the superb Eibach pro-kit on my 1M and love it

Lowers -25mm on the front and -15mm on the rear which makes the car look better as it reduces the massive gap on the front arches! Ride quality is vastly improved and handling feels sharper once the geometry is set-up (to accurate standard spec)

We're a Uk Eibach approved dealer and fitting centre so if you want some prices please just PM me. I will post a picture up when I'm back in the office on Thursday.

Cheers, Chris
      12-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ABP View Post
I'm running the superb Eibach pro-kit on my 1M and love it

Lowers -25mm on the front and -15mm on the rear which makes the car look better as it reduces the massive gap on the front arches! Ride quality is vastly improved and handling feels sharper once the geometry is set-up (to accurate standard spec)

We're a Uk Eibach approved dealer and fitting centre so if you want some prices please just PM me. I will post a picture up when I'm back in the office on Thursday.

Cheers, Chris
+1 Team EIBACH here. first had H&Rs then switched to EIBACH springs. some info and pics below

PRO-KIT PERFORMANCE SPRINGS (SET OF 4 SPRINGS)

# 20120.140

Front: 1.0 in
Rear: 0.5 in

PRO-KIT Performance Springs (Set of 4 Springs)
#1 Choice of Automotive Enthusiasts Worldwide!
High Performance Handling and Aggressive Good Looks
Lower Center of Gravity
Stop Quicker, Corner Faster and get Better MPG!*
Progressive Spring Design for Excellent Ride Quality
Million-Mile Warranty
The Eibach PRO-KIT is the perfect answer for most frequently-driven street cars. It's our legendary sport spring system that dramatically improves both a vehicle's performance and appearance.

PRO-KIT precisely lowers your car's center of gravity, reducing squat during acceleration, body roll in corners and excessive nose-dive under braking. When combined with Plus-1 or Plus-2 wheels and tires, the Eibach PRO-KIT is the finishing touch to a winning recipe for performance. PRO-KIT also reduces excessive fender-well clearance, making your car look just as hot as it performs.

Every Eibach PRO-KIT is designed and tested by our suspension engineers and performance driving professionals to deliver aggressive good looks and high performance handling, without ever compromising safety or ride quality. By using our proprietary, progressive spring design, PRO-KIT Performance Springs provide the ultimate balance to take your passion for driving to a whole new level.

* Your results may vary. As we have learned from racing and independent testing has proved - lowering your car or truck's ride height also improves your aerodynamic efficiency by forcing more air over the car and less underneath (where most of the drag is found on any vehicle), resulting in higher top speeds on the track and better MPG on the highway.

my car below on the Eibach Lowering springs w/ 12mm Front and 15 mm Rear spacers

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
H&R has a great set that will drop you about 1.2" front and 0.6" rear. It will eliminate a lot of the wheel gap and gives you a slight handling improvement

H&R Sport Springs for the 1M Coupe
+1.. No rubbing issues at all..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Cheers guys,loving the look to,thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Has anyone replaced the shocks along with the springs? Or is it safe to use the Eibach or H&R springs with the stock shocks? I have yet to get a clear answer on this. Some say that all aftermarket springs increase wear on the stock shocks and thus result in a shorter lifespan for the stock shocks, others say the drop is too small to make a difference.

Like OP, I don't need all the adjustability of a coilover system so I'd like to buy just springs. But I've been hesitating because nobody sells a reasonably priced matched spring/shock set for the 1M (as far as I know) and I'm not sure whether if I just buy springs I won't have to replace the shocks in a few thousand miles anyway.
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
Has anyone replaced the shocks along with the springs? Or is it safe to use the Eibach or H&R springs with the stock shocks? I have yet to get a clear answer on this. Some say that all aftermarket springs increase wear on the stock shocks and thus result in a shorter lifespan for the stock shocks, others say the drop is too small to make a difference.

Like OP, I don't need all the adjustability of a coilover system so I'd like to buy just springs. But I've been hesitating because nobody sells a reasonably priced matched spring/shock set for the 1M (as far as I know) and I'm not sure whether if I just buy springs I won't have to replace the shocks in a few thousand miles anyway.
Good pointwould like to think that there is a spring kit developed to go with oe shocks,if I were to replace shocks,would go for some proper items,had proflex evo3 on my last car(evo8)but was a full on track car,not gone this farvyetbwith the 1M,early days
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

I was looking at these a while back

http://www.kw-suspensions.co.uk/uk/k...s&EntryId=4724
Current mods: Forge FMIC, N55 Midpipe, Alcantara Steering Wheel, OEM 2012 LCI Black lines, BMW Performance grilles and pedals, Ohlins R&T suspension, Supersprint Exhaust, BMS Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Just to give you a better indication of the H&R Springs..

Some before and after close up pix I took on a flat surface.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Einser, are you running oem shocks? Also, what are the differences you've observed between the eibach and h&r? Are you sponsored by eibach? I was about to buy h&r and assumed it was a marginally superior product to eibachs, your post is the first I've seen otherwise.
      12-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
+1 Team EIBACH here. first had H&Rs then switched to EIBACH springs. some info and pics below

PRO-KIT PERFORMANCE SPRINGS (SET OF 4 SPRINGS)

# 20120.140
Problem #1 with this, I can't buy it from anywhere. Been looking since first time you posted. Before there was no price listed on their web site, now I can see the price maybe meaning I can finally buy it, but no, no online stores sell it, or have in their system yet... that just plain sucks, I would love to try them out!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
sales@vivid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
Problem #1 with this, I can't buy it from anywhere. Been looking since first time you posted. Before there was no price listed on their web site, now I can see the price maybe meaning I can finally buy it, but no, no online stores sell it, or have in their system yet... that just plain sucks, I would love to try them out!
I can get you a set. Should only take about 2-3 weeks to get in, as I would just have to add them to my stocking order.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
yah the product is rolling out so it may take dealers some time to stock them and have them ready to ship...but they are produced so just a little patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
Einser, are you running oem shocks? Also, what are the differences you've observed between the eibach and h&r? Are you sponsored by eibach? I was about to buy h&r and assumed it was a marginally superior product to eibachs, your post is the first I've seen otherwise.
OEM shocks and zero issues. Have had them since MFEST in April and logged about 5k miles so far on the car. The only reason I bought H&R springs was because Eibach did not have them when I needed them. I'm an Eibach guy, always bought Eibach so when I got into the program and got picked up for SEMA as one of their project cars I couldn't have been happier. Nothing bad to say about the H&R's but given the choice I always would go with Eibach product.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@vivid View Post
I can get you a set. Should only take about 2-3 weeks to get in, as I would just have to add them to my stocking order.
there you go, dealer here can get a set soon!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Any comments on what differences make it preferable, height? Ride compliance? Stiffer or softer? Etc vs the h&r?

You are probably unique in having had both on your car.
      12-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Any comments on what differences make it preferable, height? Ride compliance? Stiffer or softer? Etc vs the h&r?

the drop is very similar with a slightly lower stance with H&R as they normally are more conservative with Eibach on their drops (but i think the final drop was only about 1-2mm different). H&Rs were slightly stiffer than the Eibach if my memory serves well, both ride very comfortable, I also now have the Eibach sway bars on the car and it just feels planted no roll whatsoever in the car. Like i said you cant go wrong either either kit, but this guy is team EIBACH
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
If they are anything like the M3 springs on OEM dampers, the Eibachs should be pretty awesome.

Both are good products but it comes down to personal preference. Tough for a lot of people to do, but if you have the opportunity to try both before you buy, do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

Would have to be stiffer with so little remaining travel on compression. Do either Eibach or H&R come with a new bump stop to act as supplemental spring?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #22
mpower2
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe

Here with H&R....the best
Attached Images

Last edited by mpower2; 12-18-2012 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0