BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
OT: LAMS Approved Motorbike

I'm thinking of getting a motorbike so need some advice on what is the best LAMS approved bike once I get my license. Any thoughts?
      04-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Sorry, should have mentioned...looking as a commuter. Mainly highway riding. Maybe a cruiser but probably will go for a naked bike.
      04-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Suzuki Gladius

A customer dropped in the other day with his new toy he also has just got his bike license. The bike is a Suzuki 650 Gladius what a neat little bike i think it could be well worth a look and will have great resale when its time to move up.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
All depends what you want to use it for? Fun or commuter? If a city fun bike then think supermotard... I had a Husqvarna SM610 last year as a second bike to my BMW R1200GSA.... Supermotards are awesome fun
Love that bike Ian
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
A customer dropped in the other day with his new toy he also has just got his bike license. The bike is a Suzuki 650 Gladius what a neat little bike i think it could be well worth a look and will have great resale when its time to move up.
+1 heard good things about the Gladius!

Is a shame we don't have LAMS over in WA, stuck with little 250cc back in the days
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

I went through the same process a year or so back. I ended up with one of these

http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/...-approved.html

It's been a great bike for me, the only comment I'd make is, It's a pretty heavy bike, so if you're on the smaller side, and aren't familiar with the balance challenges that can arise, it may not be ideal -- It's not silly big, just bigger than some other options.

In the end, it came down to this or the BMW G650GS. the BMW was probably a quicker bike, certainly quicker acceleration due to it being a single. The Suzuki suited me beacuse I wanted something that wasn't going to "bite" me as I learned the ropes. It's a water cooled, fuel injected four. Lazy power, smooth delivery.

I only intended to keep it until I got my full license, but still have it because I can't decide what to replace it with. It's only in the last 3-4 months that I've felt confident enough to cope with more power.

Keep in mind, even though it's restricted, I can loose my license in 1st gear, I can out accelerate 99% of cars on the road, I can cruise at 110 kph (and more if I want -it's good for about 160kph), so in most circumstances, you really don't need much more (especially while you're developing your skills). What I've noticed recently is, as I'm exiting corners, I go for the power, and it's either not there, or there's not enough there. That's not a problem with the bike, it's that I'm riding faster.

As others have said, the Gladius is a great bike. In terms of style, it's more of a naked, whereas mine's more of a Sports Tourer. If I recall, the Gladius is a twin, so the power delivery will be different - more torquey, I'd expect.

Any way you do it, you'll have a ball.

Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

My first street bike was a sv650 which shares the same engine as the Gladius. The 645 cc 90 degree v-twin is a great little engine. Very linear torque curve. It's quick but not scary. The bike will pull fine in a taller gear so you can spend more time focused on traffic/riding and less time on your tach/gear selection. In fact, up to 100kph you'll probably be able to out accelerate all but the fastest cars. Besides, Casey Stoner learned on an sv650. I'm only joking, I think it was Pedrosa.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
I went through the same process a year or so back. I ended up with one of these

http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/...-approved.html

It's been a great bike for me, the only comment I'd make is, It's a pretty heavy bike, so if you're on the smaller side, and aren't familiar with the balance challenges that can arise, it may not be ideal -- It's not silly big, just bigger than some other options.

In the end, it came down to this or the BMW G650GS. the BMW was probably a quicker bike, certainly quicker acceleration due to it being a single. The Suzuki suited me beacuse I wanted something that wasn't going to "bite" me as I learned the ropes. It's a water cooled, fuel injected four. Lazy power, smooth delivery.

I only intended to keep it until I got my full license, but still have it because I can't decide what to replace it with. It's only in the last 3-4 months that I've felt confident enough to cope with more power.

Keep in mind, even though it's restricted, I can loose my license in 1st gear, I can out accelerate 99% of cars on the road, I can cruise at 110 kph (and more if I want -it's good for about 160kph), so in most circumstances, you really don't need much more (especially while you're developing your skills). What I've noticed recently is, as I'm exiting corners, I go for the power, and it's either not there, or there's not enough there. That's not a problem with the bike, it's that I'm riding faster.

As others have said, the Gladius is a great bike. In terms of style, it's more of a naked, whereas mine's more of a Sports Tourer. If I recall, the Gladius is a twin, so the power delivery will be different - more torquey, I'd expect.

Any way you do it, you'll have a ball.

Have fun.
Good bike. I accidently fed mine some herbal roots of dubious origin and it turned into this!

http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/...AL0_3_4_c1.png
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Good bike. I accidently fed mine some herbal roots of dubious origin and it turned into this!

http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/...AL0_3_4_c1.png
That'd be the 1250 version - yes?

Same bike, on steriods - be careful, those 'riods will mess with you "man bits".
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
SV650
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
That'd be the 1250 version - yes?

Same bike, on steriods - be careful, those 'riods will mess with you "man bits".
Yes.

My man bits get messed with everythime I brake hard - should have got a BMW lol
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...430-1xty4.html
Appreciate 0