BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
Bob Z.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Vert

I do not have any drone at any speed with the Race Back on my 2013 135i....I would not consider any other cat back based on the sound and cost.

By the way, with the help of Bryan at Berk we were able to rectify the minor issue of it hitting the cross brace in case others with convertibles have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #24
135iMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 White 135i

That sounds wicked haha. Gets me all hot and bothered.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #25
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I love the sound of my muffler delete and catless downpipes. Soooo loud, but in a good way!
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #26
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

I had the Race, sold it bought the Street.. way better sound. Almost (not as intense) as loud..without the drone.

The drone from 2.5-3.5k RPM killed me.. so hard to deal with.

And with the catless mids of the n55 and 7th gear labor.. it sucked.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #27
lazyd0c
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 G06/ '17 f87 6MT

So you're saying that the Street version has absolutely no drone at all while the Race has some on low revs? I've been debating which one to get and it seems like there are split opinions on both, with more toward the Race probably due to the deeper sound..?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #28
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon529
So you're saying that the Street version has absolutely no drone at all while the Race has some on low revs? I've been debating which one to get and it seems like there are split opinions on both, with more toward the Race probably due to the deeper sound..?
No, dependent on your mids and downpipe, the street will have a drone as well. The race provides "louder" not exactly "deeper". There is more cracking and popping, but there is also a loud drone that sounds deep when cruising at 80-120mph.

Be warned, a muffler delete is really loud and NO video will do it justice. You need to find someone with the setup and hear it in person.
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #29
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon529 View Post
I have stock n55 Mids (no cats) and Stock DPs and the Street has no drone what so ever. Its noticeable in the cabin, but not too loud. When i had the race exhaust on it sounded arguably better and deeper, but the drone was unbearable and when laboring up hills it was horrendous.

The only way i can explain the sound to you, is you know that buffeting sound that goes through your head when you have one window down slightly on the freeway? 2.5k - 3.5k rpm is like that in every gear haha.

I love the street, and don't miss the race one bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #30
ntagain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I ended up pulling mine off. I drive 45 min to an hour each way to work on mostly highway and it was just too much. I liked it under WOT, but otherwise it just seemed to cheapen the experience instead of enhance it. It HAD to be in sport mode to be livable with the DCT. Putting the stock back on really helped emphasize how much louder the Berk race kit really was and I can't help but think that the street version might provide that happy medium for everyday use. Guess they put a little more thought into their naming convention than its simplicity lets on. Who knew!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #31
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntagain View Post
I ended up pulling mine off. I drive 45 min to an hour each way to work on mostly highway and it was just too much. I liked it under WOT, but otherwise it just seemed to cheapen the experience instead of enhance it. It HAD to be in sport mode to be livable with the DCT. Putting the stock back on really helped emphasize how much louder the Berk race kit really was and I can't help but think that the street version might provide that happy medium for everyday use. Guess they put a little more thought into their naming convention than its simplicity lets on. Who knew!
"Cheapened the Experience" Spot on. I have this relatively expensive car that was for the most part loud and obnoxious.

WOT was great but i found myself 100% of the time driving in the Manual mode on my DCT because it would always go quickly change 7th where the drone was most noticeable.

Go the BERK STREET. trust me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #32
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Here i made a video.

This is my old Berk Race Axleback.

This is my new Berk Street Exhaust

tell me what you guys think.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #33
Bob Z.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I totally disagree with the negative comments on the Berk Race but I respect their opinions since if they feel that way there must be a reason for them saying it. With that said if someone cannot decide for sure I suggest that they hear them in person to be sure. I will say that my Berk Race sounds quieter in person than in most online videos.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #34
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I am running Catless DP's, Berk Mids & Berk Street Axleback and the sound is perfect!

Nice and deep tone without being overly obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #35
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

OMG, I guess I have no idea of what "good" should sound like. My Berk Axle back sucks donkey ball$. It's the worst sounding exhaust I've ever owned; it's not their fault though I should have done more research prior to buying their race exhaust. My car is a DD so the drone is stupid ridiculous, the rest of the exhaust is stock so this also might have something to do with it. I recently purchased cat-less DP's in hopes that the note will get deeper and I'm currently planning to modify my MP as well. If anyone wants to trade, please let me know because the way I feel right now, I'm almost willing to pay someone to take this sh1t! Sorry for the rant, I just have to listen to it everyday and I don't want to see my money go down the drain so I'm gonna learn to like it!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #36
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

Just wanted to let you guys know from my experience that speed-freaks.net offers a customer loyalty program aimed at the 135 community for Berk Technology products. This means if you have a Berk product and you want more Berk stuff or something else from them, you will get special pricing through speed-freaks. So for example, if you bought the race version and wish you would have bought the street version, or you want a down pipe and/or midpipes in addition to your race or street version axle back. This is open to all of you even if you didn't buy the exhaust though them!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #37
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

I gotta say that Speedfreaks did me right on mine. I wanted the Berk Street and they initially thought they were out for the year, but they ultimately found the last one and shipped it out FedEx. They called to let me know they found one before it shipped, then shipped on the exact date I asked for, and even called back later to make sure I got what I expected. Very friendly guys and very customer focused. Also, I got a geat price! Couldn't be happier....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #38
Bob Z.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 011100001 View Post
OMG, I guess I have no idea of what "good" should sound like. My Berk Axle back sucks donkey ball$. It's the worst sounding exhaust I've ever owned; it's not their fault though I should have done more research prior to buying their race exhaust. My car is a DD so the drone is stupid ridiculous, the rest of the exhaust is stock so this also might have something to do with it. I recently purchased cat-less DP's in hopes that the note will get deeper and I'm currently planning to modify my MP as well. If anyone wants to trade, please let me know because the way I feel right now, I'm almost willing to pay someone to take this sh1t! Sorry for the rant, I just have to listen to it everyday and I don't want to see my money go down the drain so I'm gonna learn to like it!
This post is a perfect example as to why someone should hear what they are considering in person before buying....most people love it (including me) and this person hates it!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #39
135Passion
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey BMW 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 011100001 View Post
This post is a perfect example as to why someone should hear what they are considering in person before buying....most people love it (including me) and this person hates it!
I think I want the Berk race on my 2009 135i but I've never heard it in person. I don't want to hate it like that guy but I'm used to loud exhaust. I don't want cops pulling me over all the time what do you think about the noise level? 1-10 scale? 1 being Honda civic stock, 10 being modded GTR haha thanks!
      01-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #40
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

^ The exhaust is definitely an 11! Let me explain to you my experience with various exhausts... My last vehicle, 2-1/2" with testpipes on a G35. Prior to that I had a Supercharged 350Z with the same exhaust (Borla). I know I cant compare the three vehicles but I do know what a good exhaust sounds like. The Berk Race AB is not a good exhaust; by its self. Again, this is just my personal opinion. I'm not 100% set on it being a crappy exhaust until I make some changes to the rest of the exhaust i.e MP/DP. Once these changes are complete then I could give a solid review!
But until then I advise you to please hear it in person! The cold starts are loud and very "cheap WRX" sounding. Once it's warmed it sounds like a Honda Civic with a decent exhaust (when's the last time you heard one of those?). There's drone all through the RPM's; it's gotten to the point where the only way I will drive the vehicle is in "paddle" mode because I can try to keep the RPM's up where drone is at a minimum! The harmonic resonance that this thing produces is comparable to a high pitch earth quake; so much that leaving my iPod in the cup holder closest to the arm rest, causes a "bolt loose" rattling sound within the cabin. I think you can see how much I love my berk exhaust .
      01-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #41
Bob Z.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Passion View Post
I think I want the Berk race on my 2009 135i but I've never heard it in person. I don't want to hate it like that guy but I'm used to loud exhaust. I don't want cops pulling me over all the time what do you think about the noise level? 1-10 scale? 1 being Honda civic stock, 10 being modded GTR haha thanks!
I drove mine to work today and when cruising (anywhere from 50 - 70 mph) I could barely hear it, and I have a convertible. And I have been next to cops with their windows open and they never even looked my way.

I must say I am baffled by the poster that hates it, says it sounds like a Civic, etc. - almost makes me want to believe there is a hole or something in the exhaust or something else is wrong. I listened to a lot of sound clips online and for the money I thought the Berk Race sounded the best, and still feel that I would like it a bit louder so I can hear it more when cruising.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #42
135Passion
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Quote:
I drove mine to work today and when cruising (anywhere from 50 - 70 mph) I could barely hear it, and I have a convertible. And I have been next to cops with their windows open and they never even looked my way.

I must say I am baffled by the poster that hates it, says it sounds like a Civic, etc. - almost makes me want to believe there is a hole or something in the exhaust or something else is wrong. I listened to a lot of sound clips online and for the money I thought the Berk Race sounded the best, and still feel that I would like it a bit louder so I can hear it more when cruising.
Would you say that it's deep and throaty though? I'm worried about the "cheap" sound like I just poked a hole in my muffler or something
      01-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #43
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

Quote:
Would you say that it's deep and throaty though? I'm worried about the "cheap" sound like I just poked a hole in my muffler or something
Well- I asked the guys there and this is what they said: If you get the Catless downpipe first and run it with the stock exhaust: You will have a slightly deeper tone, and some drone between 55-65 mph.

If you then add the street axleback exhaust, while sticking with the stock midpipes (and a catless downpipe)- you have a very very livable setup with a deeper tone.

The midpipes would only deepen the tone.

Makes sense to me to have these ordered in parts to get the tone you want, since the shipping is free for us for a short while.

Exhaust preferences and opinions are highly subjective so it's nice to be able to change pieces of the exhaust so that the end result is something that is tailored for you . This video compares some different options available from Berk to achieve different tones and volumes. I personally love the sound of the full race exhaust at the end, but Ive always been a fan of aggressive sounding cars.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #44
135Passion
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMisencik157
Quote:
Well- I asked the guys there and this is what they said: If you get the Catless downpipe first and run it with the stock exhaust: You will have a slightly deeper tone, and some drone between 55-65 mph.

If you then add the street axleback exhaust, while sticking with the stock midpipes (and a catless downpipe)- you have a very very livable setup with a deeper tone.

The midpipes would only deepen the tone.

Makes sense to me to have these ordered in parts to get the tone you want, since the shipping is free for us for a short while.

Exhaust preferences and opinions are highly subjective so it's nice to be able to change pieces of the exhaust so that the end result is something that is tailored for you . This video compares some different options available from Berk to achieve different tones and volumes. I personally love the sound of the full race exhaust at the end, but Ive always been a fan of aggressive sounding cars.

Such an awesome response, it's definitely going to help me choose the one I want. I'm leaning toward the full race exhaust (so that's the black race axle-back and the midpipes) with stock down pipes. I don't want to trade off deepness for noise (meaning I don't want that cheap raspy really loud sound) but more a deep aggressive tone that tickles your ears when idling and aggressive WOT. I think Berk offers me this with the full race. I'd be able to pass smog with the full race setup right? Because there's no muffler I'm wondering.