BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
imported_RxBMW
Rep
Drives: 135i

Peterson BMW (Boise,ID)

I would strongly recommend this dealership if you enjoy experiences such as waiting in 5:00 rush hour traffic, getting a root canal, or having your prostate checked by a doctor w/ sausage fingers. Going to this dealership is basically a combination of the aforementioned. Not sure how the service department is, but the SA's there are your stereotypical know-nothing pricks. Here's a few highlights of their EXCEPTIONAL customer experience.
Tried calling the dealership prior to the 135i's arrival to schedule an appt for a test drive and speak w/ an SA. They assured me I was on the top of a call list and would be notified as soon as the car arrived to set up a time to drive it. Happened to drive by the dealership around 3/26 and low and behold, what do I see? You guessed it, a black 135i, which had apparently arrived several days prior. Thanks for the excellent response time fellas. Next, I go to speak to an SA to see if I can take her out for a spin. This tool of a salesman tells me it's pretty close to closing time, but come back tomorrow (somehow he barely manages his way to mumble this to me as he intently watches some March madness on the dealership TV). Way to go the extra mile to make that sale, very impressive. But wait there's more!! I finally get a chance to drive the car (which was my only positive experience at Peterduds) and talk to an SA briefly about pricing. I let him know I'm going to test drive a Cayman S the following day for comparison, but if he could please call me w/ an offer w/ the options I think I might want. No problem he says, first thing tomorrow he will have an offer. Does he call me back the next day, nope, how about 48 hrs later, nope. He finally returns my call 3 days later (no offer) and asks me to come in to make an order. WTF?? Was our prior conversation a figment of my imagination? What the hell happened to first thing tomorrow AM w/ an offer? I decide to let some more of this incompetence go if only to see what they have to say. The guy knows I'm serious; we bought my wife's Lexus about a month ago, and this would be the 3rd car bought from the Peterson's Autoplex. I ask him to please take this into consideration when offering me a price. He talks to his sales manager. MSRP ONLY and I would not likely get the car until late August at the earliest b/c the earlier allocations have been spoken for. Hmmm, tempting but I think I'd rather eat glass.
Having had such top notch service from Peterscrubs AutoPuds over the past week, I had already contacted BMW of Idaho Falls to see what they had to say. Experience was night and day. Got the car I wanted for $1600 off MSRP as my parents got their 330xi through them and they value return customers/dealership loyalty. SA was extremely courteous, returned calls/emails as promised AND on time, and was a pleasure to work with. Everything one would expect from a luxury car dealership; the antithesis to Peterscrubs Dealershit.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Petersons BMW is a waste of time

I bought several of car from Petersons over the years. When old man Peterson (Marvin) retired and his son took over that is when they went down hill. I did buy one BMW from them eight years ago but on my current BMW I saved $7K going to another dealer in Portland, OR. I go to Petersons for service since they are the only BMW center within reasonable distance for me.
So my purchase story goes as follows:
While I was there for service I ran into the SA that sold me a BMW eight Years ago. I told him I was going to buy a 135i. He told me he was sorry they could not close the deal on my current BMW but wanted my business on the 135i. I told him all the SA were like classic used car salesmen and they do not know the product they sell. I said I would only deal with him since I feel he was honest in the past. He was very helpful, called me when the black 135i came in. I scheduled a test drive and drove the car. He called me the next day and we started working on my trade in. When I had a question he would return my call within hours. Now I am ready to buy the car but my wife wants to drive it. I call the SA and we set up a time and my wife and I go to test drive the car. We meet with the SA and he gives my wife and I a license plate and says have fun. That is another story about driving the car without the SA. When we return the dealership the SA has another customer (remember we had made an appointment with the SA) and he cons me off on some looser SA to write up the car. I tell the looser SA I want the following:
135i Coupe
Sparkling Graphite Metallic
6SP MT
Black Boston Leather/Aluminum Trim
Sports Package
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Premium Hi-fi System
ipod/USB adaptor
Comfort Access System
He pulls out his order notebook and starts fumbling around. I would have thought he never wrote up an order the way he was doing things. When he went to his manager my wife said she thought he looked like the janitor (about 70 years old and long thin hair combed straight back) and not a SA. He starts writing up the order flipping through pages in his notebook. Ah, I found it he says and asks again what I wanted. I showed him where he just wrote it down a few minuets earlier. He starts putting down the codes for the options I wanted. I happen to look at his sheet and he was using the option sheet for the 128i convertible. I let him do the whole write up then point out he was using the wrong sheet. He finally gets it done and tells me he submitted the order. I leave and go on my way with a production number.
A day later I called my SA to tell him the production order did not match my car and left a message but no return call. Two days go by so I call the SA again and leave a message. Two days later he returns my call and says they had a car scheduled for build and they changed it to my configuration. By this time I had figured out that they had a car slated for production but changed it to my configuration. This is the guy that returned my call within hours before the sale. I called two more times and left messages to get the build date but no returned calls. I go to the dealership and find another loosed SA. I ask him for my build date and they say they do not have that information. I push a little harder and the SA asks the Manager. The Manager tells me the same thing “no build date; we do not get that information”. I then said you had a car scheduled for production and you do not have the build date? I also mentioned BMW customers at other BMW dealers get this info. The Manager grunts since he has to do something and takes a notebook down from his shelf and looks it over and says your build date is week 17. Why did I have to go through all that to get a simple build date. I get to do the customer survey at the end and they will have the worst marks I can give them with the comments from this thread.

So RxBMW I take it you have not had the opportunity to experience Peterson BMW service. They are just as much a piece of work as the Sales department. I had a few issues where they told me they were not going to fix my car under warranty especially since I did not buy it from them. Then they told me I had tampered with it which was not true. I had to place calls to BMWNA. Both events the next day the Service Manager is calling me to bring my car in to have it fixed.
Another service horror story that just happened, I had a clunk noise when I let out the clutch or accelerated. Peterson replaced the rear end cluster. It did not fix the problem so they replaced the drive shaft. That fixed it but it came back a few days later. I checked it out myself and the bolts to the drive shaft were loose. I took it back in not telling them what I found. When I picked up the car they said they did not find anything wrong. I defiantly am going to do the hidden camera thing when the time is right and if it comes out well, I will give it to my wife who does business with the local TV stations.

My question is why do they do all this self inflected damage to themselves. There are guys I work with that will not go into any Peterson Dealership.

I buy Toyota trucks but not from Peterson Toyota. I did take the truck to them for service but they could not fix several issues on my Tacoma in several visits. I called Toyota, opened a case following the Lemon Law and I have a new Tacoma due to Petersons head up there a$$. I now take my Tacoma to Tom Scott. They have been great so far.
      04-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Alrighty then. I guess I won't be visiting this dealership. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Peterson’s sold there Black 135i with the Auto Trans. Someone must of wanted it bad. I guess it is better for those that have driven and ordered the 135i since - if there is no test car to drive someone will not be able to get the “WOW” factor from the car. Looks like I am the only one in Boise with a 135i on order that visits this forum.
:iono:
      04-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
imported_RxBMW
Rep
Drives: 135i

You are not alone

I'm from Boise too, but avoided going through Peterson's for the aforementioned reasons. That place is absolutely terrible. I noticed the black 135i sold too; been looking for it around town but have yet to spot it. Wondering if someone from out-of-town actually bought it, heard talk that someone from Twin Falls might have been interested. Felt a little bad for whoever bought that black 135i, as it definitely had some hard break-in miles. Went by the stealership last night and saw they are holding a white MT 128i and silver 128i vert for someone(s). The sedona red 128i and other vert are still there though. Really wish there was a MT available to rod around while I wait for mine :biggrin:
Appreciate 0