BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
mke135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Cabrio

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Detail it now or wait for spring?

Hey guys. I'm wondering if I should detail my car now (I know it's a bit late) or wait until spring time. I have a convertible and my major worry is the top.
I was looking at doing this: http://jasonsautospa.com/stage4.html not too expensive and seems to include everything.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
I would try to get a coat of seal on the paint at the very least to protect it from the winter elements and salt. Save the full detail (polishing, etc) for the springtime. You can protect the top with Ragttop protectant.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I would try to get a coat of seal on the paint at the very least to protect it from the winter elements and salt. Save the full detail (polishing, etc) for the springtime. You can protect the top with Ragttop protectant.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
mke135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Cabrio

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Alright. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

I agree I'd wash it, seal the paint and protect the convertible top. For a strong sealant I'd recommend the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger and the Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant. To protect a fabric top wash it, let it dry and then protect it with the Raggtopp Fabric Protectant or the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. Just mist it on the top and you are all set. It help repel moisture and stains. Let me know if you have any questions about these products.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Wink

Just an additional thot to all that above-- try to get a warm garage. If you don't have one, try to borrow one or rent an hour or two at a place you might know who would help you out. The paint and especially the top will need to be warmed for sealants or the RaggTop sealants on top to cure up.

Make sure you get your car and top clean...and then that top needs to be dry before putting on the RaggTop -- which is in IMHO the best. The aerosol is better than the wet spray as you do not get the wet drips, or do not need to "smooth" those out. The aerosol goes on smooth and even, using overlapping passes. It needs to cure for several hours, before it is subjected to water. Might make sure weather will cooperate when you leave the shop or garage. If you do it outdoors, make sure the sun is shining, and the top has dried--after being cleaned with the RT cleaner, Apply the protectant, and try to leave in the sun long enough before any condensation settles in for the night etc...or snow or rain arrives. You will be good to go.

The same is basically true for the sealants...they do not like a cold paint surface, and need some time to cure before buffing out. I would do anyway, even if it is now winter time...anything is better than leaving it unprotected thru the next few months. Same goes for your wheels and wheel wells also...anything now is better than nothing. Good luck with it.
Appreciate 0