BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Seriously?

Driving home from work I got caught in a left lane that was ending at the lights. So when it went green I 'lightly' put my foot down to get ahead and turn into the right lane.

I look in the rear view mirror and out of no where this suzuki swift (maybe with a rally pack) comes flying to catch up to me. Not only does he catch up but decides to sit right on my ass. Maybe 1-2 metres in it. I couldn't see his lights so he must've been close. So to let him know hes too close I quickly tap my brakes. BIG MISTAKE.

That pissed off Suzuki swift enough to turn on his high beams.. blinding me. But not enough to get off my ass. At this point I'm really hoping for a set of lights to either tell this tool off or spank him. However I know this road, there isn't one.

..So I WOT

The last thing I saw was him basically in the same place... trying to catch up again and be up my ass again. But there was no chance..

Seriously why Suzuki swift?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post
Driving home from work I got caught in a left lane that was ending at the lights. So when it went green I 'lightly' put my foot down to get ahead and turn into the right lane.

I look in the rear view mirror and out of no where this suzuki swift (maybe with a rally pack) comes flying to catch up to me. Not only does he catch up but decides to sit right on my ass. Maybe 1-2 metres in it. I couldn't see his lights so he must've been close. So to let him know hes too close I quickly tap my brakes. BIG MISTAKE.

That pissed off Suzuki swift enough to turn on his high beams.. blinding me. But not enough to get off my ass. At this point I'm really hoping for a set of lights to either tell this tool off or spank him. However I know this road, there isn't one.

..So I WOT

The last thing I saw was him basically in the same place... trying to catch up again and be up my ass again. But there was no chance..

Seriously why Suzuki swift?
Mate, in situations like this, FLICK ON YOUR WINDSCREEN WASHERS. Trust me. It's an ultra-douchebag move I reserve for dire circumstances such as this.

When your headlights are on, the ultra high pressure headlight washer jets also activate. For some reason, they are angled in such a way that a thick, fine mist of dirty detergent water goes straight onto the car behind you.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
blingers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI 130i

I wish I could power away from idiots like them. A swift probably could out power my 120i lol.

Ive experience this with mostly hyundai i30 drivers
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Mate, in situations like this, FLICK ON YOUR WINDSCREEN WASHERS. Trust me. It's an ultra-douchebag move I reserve for dire circumstances such as this.

When your headlights are on, the ultra high pressure headlight washer jets also activate. For some reason, they are angled in such a way that a thick, fine mist of dirty detergent water goes straight onto the car behind you.
Hahaha I'll try this one next time someone decides to be an @$$hole.. idrive is letting me know I'm low on windscreen washing fluid..

A scum thing to do to a scumbag tailgaiting you.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
This seems to happen to me more often than not and it seriously pisses me off. I get really angry with tailgaters. I really don't understand the attitude of these drivers. Someone will get seriously injured or killed and if I have passengers in my car I tend to take it a bit personally. Absolute idiots! Grrrrr!

On another note why is it these guys if they get yelled at are called idiots but if you're in a BMW a few kays over the limit or are minding your own business we get called wankers?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Brian@EWS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: deciding...

Quote:

lol good one!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Think bmw did this by accident? lolol..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
stylish.
Easily bored...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

2 questions to the OP... Were you cruising at the speed limit? If so, how long did it take you to get to the speed limit?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylish. View Post
2 questions to the OP... Were you cruising at the speed limit? If so, how long did it take you to get to the speed limit?
No comment man.

If i was cruising at the speed limit and WOT.. I would've been norti
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

When I get tailgated, I glance back quickly, and start waving my arm like a crazy man, motioning for them to back off. They just think I'm nuts, so they back off quickly.
      10-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
When I get tailgated, I glance back quickly, and start waving my arm like a crazy man, motioning for them to back off. They just think I'm nuts, so they back off quickly.
I thought of doing something like that.. but the only motion I could come up with was my middle finger..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@EWS View Post
lol good one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post
Think bmw did this by accident? lolol..
My little brother likes to call it 'the secret weapon'. Whenever he's in the car he tells me to deploy it as soon as someone is behind me. I guess he loves turning around and watching a dense cloud of dirty crap flying backwards, causing the tailgater to swerve a bit and activate their windscreen wipers. Works without fail EVERYTIME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
THIS. I LITERALLY LOL'D. This may be an even more effective but also less obnoxious at the same time.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
stylish.
Easily bored...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

^^ Ahhh fair enough! Then that Swift's actions are definately uncalled for!

However, in some scenarios, I can see why people tailgate.

Example: If you were behind a car doing 70kph in an 80kph zone on the right hand lane blocking traffic.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

this happens all the time no need to get up worked up abt it... hey in the end ur in the BMW and his in the what??? thank you!
      10-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

I usually just keep at the speed limit and slowly start to reduce my speed... pisses them off a lot haha. Their next move is usually to change lanes and overtake... good luck!

Alternatively I would proceed to drive like ^aus135i does =P
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Just relax. It is not worth wasting time over things like this.

and yes, Jeef_Beef's tactic works - dont forget to activate the rear fogs too for maximum annoyance.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #17
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I hate tailgaters too, normally I'll turn on the rear fog lights (looks like brakes almost), if that fails I will give a light tap on the brakes, if that does not work then a hard tap with my right foot ready to go on the gas.

What I hate even more is the morons that decide the safe distance your leaving between you and the car in front is theirs for the taking... especially in peak hour traffic.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
I usually just keep at the speed limit and slowly start to reduce my speed... pisses them off a lot haha. Their next move is usually to change lanes and overtake... good luck!
Tailgating is a big thing on highways in Malaysia (where the speed limit sign is purely only something for the moped riders to run into). So I employed this tactic quite a lot. Except I'd wait until we were beside another slow moving car and then I'd match their speed, so the tailgater was blocked off entirely.

I took it a bit far one day when I slowed to about 40km/h because the tailgater refused to go around me (and no, I wasn't in the right hand lane).
      10-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #19
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
The washer idea would be a great one, but would result on me cleaning my car more often then I already do.

It's normally harder for younger guys to do this, but the best thing to do is just chill out. The idiot will blast past you eventually, probably still wondering if his parents got divorced would they still be brother and sister?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Tailgaters are a huge problem here in the States too. Along with left lane bandits (they would be right lane bandits down under). When I had a Jeep, I was always carrying some photographic gear. A couple flashes with a strobe usually gets people to back off. The biggest thing to remember is don't race. Though I would really like to make friend with a few police officers, and make a call when some guy is tailgating. Leading them right into a speeding trap, or even better a reckless driving charge would be a lesson well taught.

Seriously though, I think the people who drive crazily have never been in a serious accident, never had a friend die because of a crash or watched the life of an innocent child fade away all because they wanted to be a jerk. Cars are great fun, but they can be deadly in the wrong hands, we all just need to safely. And of course, when you see that double kidney in the rear view mirror, just move put of the way!

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #21
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Rear fog light works a treat!!! I turn on fog lights and keep breaking in front of them. Fog light is very annoying esp when breaking so most of the time they will high beam u then overtake u. U let them through then you high beam them back to tell them u r piss and telling them it is not on to tailgate. I love the bi-xenon on high beam on BMWs. It is BRIGHT alright especially on an X5 where light hit right on their mirrors.

I would not use my washers coz most times, my car will be cleaner than the idiot behind trying to tailgate so no point of getting my car dirty over an ass behind u.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #22
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
The rear fogs are a great one.

I've now come to the conclusion that it causes (usually) more problems if you tap the breaks if they're on your ass. I simply drive even slower, wait till they leave my lane, then accelerate to my normal speed again.

Seems to annoy tailgaters even more, and doesn't risk anyone being in an accident from tapping the brakes.
Appreciate 0