BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Key Fob Data

Hi guys,

Long story cut very short...

Does anyone know if the key fob stores data such as time and days that the engine has been switched on/running? Or if it just has time and days for any of the engine data it stores.

I know it stores a hell of a lot an amount of detail, such as speeds, revs, gear changes etc.. if this data also includes times and dates, then i need to take my car in to a dealer in the next few days to get this data.

It's a long story and it is quite important, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the key fob stores data such as time and days that the engine has been switched on/running? Or if it just has time and days for any of the engine data it stores.

I know it stores a hell of a lot an amount of detail, such as speeds, revs, gear changes etc.. if this data also includes times and dates, then i need to take my car in to a dealer in the next few days to get this data.

It's a long story and it is quite important, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex
Considering that the key stores all the other aforementioned info, I would expect it to record something as simple as when the engine is switched on/off.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Considering that the key stores all the other aforementioned info, I would expect it to record something as simple as when the engine is switched on/off.
Thanks mate

Drop me a line - need to give you the background info!

PS - Wiseman's ferry run tonight?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate

Drop me a line - need to give you the background info!

PS - Wiseman's ferry run tonight?
HAHA damnit did not see this post until too late. Already have plans for the late evening with some mates unfortunately but it's VERY tempting.

Not sure if I have your correct number anymore since last time I tried it for the Wisemans run it didn't work. Send me a PM with your number mate.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks,

Alex
Yes, the key does store major faults for the DME. But some faults are not stored in the key. Only major ones.

Yes, the key will record the last time it was used/put in the ignition slot or engine started. Time and date stamp.

Other info is stored in the key too. Like:

Ambient temp
Fuel level in tank
Kilometers on car
average kms per week
key number(s)
model type (ie N54/N55/N52)
services due
vehicle color code
interior color code
in service date
build date
coolant temp when last used
brake fluid date/when its due to be change

and ecu serial numbers

AND those are just the ones I know about! I am sure it records more info!

Care to share your story with us? Why you ask this Q?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes, the key does store major faults for the DME. But some faults are not stored in the key. Only major ones.

Yes, the key will record the last time it was used/put in the ignition slot or engine started. Time and date stamp.

Ambient temp
Fuel level in tank
Kilometers on car
average kms per week
key number(s)
services due
vehicle color code
interior color code
in service date
build date

and ecu serial numbers

There's probably a good reason he's not posting the story on a public forum

But wow, that's a lot of info thanks mate! Not only are you a source of knowledge on the general forums but here as well in our regional section

Always good to have a reliable source at hand.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

I think I know why you need this info... there's an easy fix man - it only takes a few seconds

dackelone: so its only the 'last time' it was put in/turned on? Or a weeks worth, for eg?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:

Ambient temp
Fuel level in tank
Kilometers on car
average kms per week
key number(s)
services due
vehicle color code
interior color code
in service date
build date

and ecu serial numbers

Hi Dackel - as usual thanks for the informative post!

Basically, I need to know if my car was used at a particular time on a particular date. I think this info could be logged via the key or ECU data?

I will share the story eventually, and when it's the right time. But just need to know if this is possible. I'm sure it must be, considering the data that can be checked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Taymaishu; 10-31-2010 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Grammatical errors...RAWR!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Hi Dackel - as usual thanks for the informative post!

Basically, I need to know if my car was used at a particular time on a particular date. I think this info could be logged via the key or ECU data?

I will share the story eventually, and when it's the right time. But just need to know if this is possible. I'm sure it must be, considering the data that can be checked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I do not know for sure - either. But I suspect that info is in there. Or... stored in the car's ECU memory. IF your car has NAVI I would bet the cars path was recorded too. Just like any NAVI.

Just take your keys( both of them!) to your dealer and ask for them to scan them and print you out the info. (only start the car with your key! or better yet take another car to your dealer with both keys so you can read that info!)

My dealer has scanned my key fobs in the past and I have asked for these print outs. Because I am the curious type. Hence why I know whats on the keys. There is screens and screens of info on these key fobs. ECU serial numbers, and the data I listed above. I would think there is even more we do not know about too.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
I do not know for sure - either. But I suspect that info is in there. Or... stored in the car's ECU memory. IF your car has NAVI I would bet the cars path was recorded too. Just like any NAVI.

Just take your keys( both of them!) to your dealer and ask for them to scan them and print you out the info. (only start the car with your key! or better yet take another car to your dealer with both keys so you can read that info!)

My dealer has scanned my key fobs in the past and I have asked for these print outs. Because I am the curious type. Hence why I know whats on the keys. There is screens and screens of info on these key fobs. ECU serial numbers, and the data I listed above. I would think there is even more we do not know about too.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Thank you, Dackel!

Yes, my assumption is the data is there. I've had it semi-confirmed in the past with a previous accident. My gearbox was suffering issues and was not properly diagnosed by the repairers, so when I took the car to BMW to complete the repairs, they got the engine data from the accident date and time and submitted to my insurers to prove damage was done to the gearbox.

So, the insurers paid for a new gearbox. I'm guessing it's not that hard to look up when the car has been in use (it's not that I need to know when it's been in use, I need confirmation that it has not been in use at a particular time). So all I need to do is ask the dealer to check a particular time and date and get them to provide me with a letter showing the car was not in use at that particular time.

Thanks once again for your help, you're a legend.
Appreciate 0