BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i M sport

Loud whistle after bolt-on install

Hello 1addicts! I am not a very active member here but have been on many other car forums and i hope someone can help me out on here!

I recently installed bolt-ons on my 2010 N54
Mods: VRSF downpipes, ETS 7in FMIC, Stett charge pipe, aFE intake, JB4

Now since the install i am getting a rather loud whistle noise with even light throttle. Along with it i am getting engine codes 2FD2 and 9F52 both "no description" in JB4

The issue seems like a boost leak to me, but i can't find the cause anywhere. I have checked all of the couplers multiple time and the turbo inlet tube. I just know what else to check or what the root cause of these CELs might be

Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Have you checked the couplers on the intercooler? Esp the turbo site. It blew off a few times when I had my HPF intercooler. Also is the power output noticeably low?
      08-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hello! thanks for the reply. I have checked all the couplers and from what i can see they are well attached on both sides. The sound appears to be coming from the passnger side so that was one of the first things i checked. None of them are blown off the pipes and i don't see/feel any gaps if i have someone rev the engine a bit.

Power does seem low for sure, also a bit laggier than normal although i really haven't gone past 3-4k rpms because of the unknown CEL's
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Strange. Stupid question: did you hook up the vacuum line back up to the BOV/DV?
      08-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Another note, the whistle noise seems to only happen when the car has load, so if i rev it a bit at idle i don't get the loud whistle, as soon as i pull away in first with just a bit of gas i can hear it though.

The issue started immediately after the bolt-on install, so i don't think its a bad turbo issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabonYetty View Post
Strange. Stupid question: did you hook up the vacuum line back up to the BOV/DV?
Haha, yes i hooked that back up. The BOV is operating normally. i can hear its faintly (not nearly as loud as i expected, not even as loud as the stock valves vented to atmosphere currently) and i can see it open if reved at idle.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

It's definitely a leak from what your explaining. It's just a matter of checking all the connectors. Check the Chargepipe to the throttle body, then to the fmic and so on. Also double check the small covers that go over where the DVs used to hook up to.
      08-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It's definitely a leak from what your explaining. It's just a matter of checking all the connectors. Are you running a BOV or upgraded DV?
I just don't know where else to look other than pulling everything off...and putting on stock parts then replacing them again one by one. Is there a common source of leaks?

I know i might sound like a jackass for asking online rather than looking, but i took off the under panel this weekend adn looked over all the connections, pushed the couplers and felt for how far they are overlapping the pipes and everything seems perfectly fine.

I am running a TIAL bov on the stett pipe. I used to have one on my old car with quite an inciting whip crack sound. Maybe its becauses of my leak, but its fairly quite on this car compared to my old one :think:
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzletoff View Post
I just don't know where else to look other than pulling everything off...and putting on stock parts then replacing them again one by one. Is there a common source of leaks?

I know i might sound like a jackass for asking online rather than looking, but i took off the under panel this weekend adn looked over all the connections, pushed the couplers and felt for how far they are overlapping the pipes and everything seems perfectly fine.

I am running a TIAL bov on the stett pipe. I used to have one on my old car with quite an inciting whip crack sound. Maybe its becauses of my leak, but its fairly quite on this car compared to my old one :think:
I have the Stett chargepipe w tial bov and its extremely loud even at low boost. Make sure these are connected securely as well.
      08-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have the Stett chargepipe w tial bov and its extremely loud even at low boost. Make sure these are connected securely as well.
I'll go down to my car and check those out now. From what i recall, i don't have the clamps just the little rubber ends that fit on quite tightly.

I think the fact im leaking boost is why the BOV isn't as loud as it should be, now to find that damn leak :banghead:

Those little caps wouldn't be the source of my real issue though. since they are before the air is compressed.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll go down to my car and check those out now. From what i recall, i don't have the clamps just the little rubber ends that fit on quite tightly.

I think the fact im leaking boost is why the BOV isn't as loud as it should be, now to find that damn leak :banghead:

Those little caps wouldn't be the source of my real issue though. since they are before the air is compressed.
Your best bet is to at least re-install the stock chargepipe and go from there. Try to narrow down the issue. Or you can take it somewhere for a boost leak test.
      08-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Your best bet is to at least re-install the stock chargepipe and go from there. Try to narrow down the issue. Or you can take it somewhere for a boost leak test.
I wish i knew were a tuning shop was near me, i moved states in the last year and i don't know where shit is anymore! I think your right though. I was hoping someone would have an idea i didn't think of by some miricle but i guess ill just eliminate the causes one by one.

Thanks for your insight! i really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wish i knew were a tuning shop was near me, i moved states in the last year and i don't know where shit is anymore! I think your right though. I was hoping someone would have an idea i didn't think of by some miricle but i guess ill just eliminate the causes one by one.

Thanks for your insight! i really appreciate it.
No problem. Hope it all works out. BTW U can find some DIY on running a boost leak test on your own.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #14
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No problem. Hope it all works out. BTW U can find some DIY on running a boost leak test on your own.
Ive made/ used boost leak testers in the past. I live in an apartment complex and don't have an air compressor though.

Last edited by snizzletoff; 08-04-2015 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #15
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ive made/ used boost leak testers in the past. I live in an apartment complex and don't have an air compressor though.
When I first installed my Chargepipe it kept blowing off the throtte body. Finally just got vband clamps. Thats where most of the pressure is coming from and it's hard to see. It may appear attached bit there can be the smallest gap that will cause a leak.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #16
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
When I first installed my Chargepipe it kept blowing off the throtte body. Finally just got vband clamps. Thats where most of the pressure is coming from and it's hard to see. It may appear attached bit there can be the smallest gap that will cause a leak.
I had the same issue at first, but i really shoved the coupler up further and tightened it down a lot. It hasn't popped off, but im still curious if that is the culprit. you had a vband welded to your throttlbody and charge pipe!?!?! i am not that committed yet.

Maybe you mean T-bolt clamps haha? Mine came with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #17
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had the same issue at first, but i really shoved the coupler up further and tightened it down a lot. It hasn't popped off, but im still curious if that is the culprit. you had a vband welded to your throttlbody and charge pipe!?!?! i am not that committed yet.

Maybe you mean T-bolt clamps haha? Mine came with them.
No my lol. I meant the t bolt clamps.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #18
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

New parts? If used, FMIC itself could be leaking.

Could be that your clamps aren't tight. If using stock DVs, they could have failed as well.
      08-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #19
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
New parts? If used, FMIC itself could be leaking.

Could be that your clamps aren't tight. If using stock DVs, they could have failed as well.
Everything was brand new other than the ETS front mount. I have thought about that as well, but i looked it over pretty extensively when it arrived. I didn't see any signs of a leak but its hard to know without testing it.

Are the ETS units known for leaking after a few miles? It had about 5k miles on it when i purchased it. Looked to be in quite new condition.

I don't have the stock DVs
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #20
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Everything was brand new other than the ETS front mount. I have thought about that as well, but i looked it over pretty extensively when it arrived. I didn't see any signs of a leak but its hard to know without testing it.

Are the ETS units known for leaking after a few miles? It had about 5k miles on it when i purchased it. Looked to be in quite new condition.

I don't have the stock DVs
Did this start happening right after install?
      08-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #21
snizzletoff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Did this start happening right after install?
Yes, the whistle started the same day everything was installed. I didn't get a CEL for a few days so i honestly thought it was an expected sound with all of the new parts, however it always sounded out of place to me.

I hardly drive the car so it took me a few trips in it to finally get a CEL, now im trying to find out why.

And to clarify, everything was installed all at one time. So its hard to guess what the cause is. I also replaced the sparkplugs the same day but i think that is unrelated haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #22
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the whistle started the same day everything was installed. I didn't get a CEL for a few days so i honestly thought it was an expected sound with all of the new parts, however it always sounded out of place to me.

I hardly drive the car so it took me a few trips in it to finally get a CEL, now im trying to find out why.

And to clarify, everything was installed all at one time. So its hard to guess what the cause is. I also replaced the sparkplugs the same day but i think that is unrelated haha.
Do you have a boost gauge or a jb4 (gauge hijacking boost gauge). Because with all those mods at once the turbos will be much louder.
Appreciate 0