BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

How would the M-division tune the 1M?

If they had unlimited funds? Or more funds…

Its a thought that pass my mind considering all the tuning going on. Many things I think risk killing the 1M "feel" and spirit. So would be quite interesting to ask some people in the M-division what they would modify/improve… Plans they had but cancelled due to funds or production line issues...

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

BMW M2 will be BMW's weapon of choice for answering your query.
"The time window for this car [was] extremely tight and originally enthusiasm was not apparent until Dr. Kay Segler came to the M Division.
We had initially toyed with the idea of a 1M when we were conceiving the Coupe and did work with evaluation models then using the engine from the E46 and the upgraded E46 CSL engine but it proved to be too heavy for the car.
Originally in the early days of marketing the standard 135i was originally meant to be an M model.
The 1M that stands before you now has had possibly the most progressive stage from thought-production turnaround for a BMW. There had to be a lot of arm-twisting in the BMW Board because of the tight window between generation 1 and generation 2 of the Coupe. The proposal was greenlit when BMW decided to use the Coupe model for the BMW eDrive evaluation. Therefore slightly extending its life cycle.
When I first saw the car it was in a design studio as a full scale clay-model but since then some designers ideas have to make way for aerodynamics and engineering. The initial engine proposal was the N55 but they were having issues that cannot be solved within the time window. BMW greenlit this car in July 2009, now over a year later we see it as it [is] intended, although testing still commences until the launch. Valvetronic was the main cause of the time delay but BMW have spent some time on this and are using the N55 as a basis for the next M3.
The best way to describe the engine of the 1M is a "Hybrid" but in the original form of Hybrid, nothing to do with "alternatives", but it is not a straightforward transplant.
There is a lot of this car that will carry over for the next generation 1M in which that car will switch to four cylinders to which the M Division engineers are already working on the basics without time constraints or restrictions. E82 1M is showing what is possible in a small time-frame. F22 1M will show what is possible once you do not have restrictions."

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=1
Additional 1M development info (repost):
"Development of the engine.
The development time of the engine was very short – engineers took only about a year to build it if not less, beginning in October 2009. In December 2009 the decision was made to build the 1M. Dr. Segler championed the project and made all major decisions. Took around 1 year to develop and test the car. M cars utilize the Nurburgring circuit for extensive testing. All the testing needed to be completed in Spring and Summer [2010] before bad weather starts. He said the engineers and designers worked very, very hard to complete the project. Dr. Segler was emotional and had a few tears the first time he saw the car in completed form. In a broken voice, he said, «we need to build this car».
The 1M is powered by the N[5]4 twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter I-6 engine. For the 1M, the turbocharger, exhaust system, and ECU have been revised to produce 335 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque, though up to 369 pound-feet are available temporarily in overboost mode. Redline is found at 7000 rpm."
http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/01/21/bm...-need-to-know/

"Why Valencia Orange?
Ironically, the 1M was first presented to Dr. Segler in Valencia Orange and it was so good that the color made it to the production model. As a fun fact, we observed Dr. Segler was wearing a new Rolex Milgauss which had a black dial with orange second hand and dash marks. True love for the color scheme…"

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/01/21/bm...-need-to-know/
"Expert dialogue: Why is the BMW 1 Series M Coupé supplied with the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ex works instead of the current successor product, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport?
BMW M Engineer J. Schwenker: The successor to the excellent PS2 is the PS3. At the time of vehicle testing and homologation, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport was not yet available in this size."

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/05/24/ex...r-j-schwenker/

Last edited by Artemis; 05-04-2012 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Extended quotes - Additional info
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

It would have been neat if the car came with the modified E46 CSL engine mentioned in the article!
2015 Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Yes that was interesting information. Planned to be N55 but due to valvetronic issues and time they Went N54. The new M3 will be N55. Guess something like tri turbo? Also read that the new M3 will be a lot of carbon. Wonder what cosmetic tuning M would have done on the 1M with a bit more time? Carbon?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I think they might have done a bit more tuning with the traction control in the default setting and maybe better work on the documentation. My manual still says I have a high performance V8! I don't know what else they might have added except for an automatic transmission. I think the time and budget constraints are what made the 1M special. It forced ///M to focus on the most important parts....plenty of power, excellent braking, good handling, good sound and fun. It did not become as diluted as the M3 has with manual, automatic, convertible, 2 door, 4-door, electronic suspension, automatics, manuals, etc etc. They just focused on the basics and that is what is magical about this project. The fact that most hard core fans would want a manual made them focus on that and the shifting feel is outstanding on this car. The clutch is great even with the CDV. While the next generation 1M will probably perform better with with more development time and money, it will still lack the charm of this 1M. I am certain it will have a manual and automatic option so anyone can drive one. At least this one, you have to know how to drive a stick and want to do it.

Sometimes people's best work comes when they have limited time and money and they have to focus on what really matters and I feel this is the case here. You know the P-51 Mustang was developed in a rush during WWII and I believe it was the fastest ever design-to-production aircraft to that day and yet it became the greatest fighter ever made according to many......oh and it didn't have a bespoke motor either, they ended up borrowing the Merlin engine from the Spitfire.

So I'm sure the next generation will be better on paper but it won't have the charm for me that this one does despite the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I think they might have done a bit more tuning with the traction control in the default setting and maybe better work on the documentation. My manual still says I have a high performance V8! I don't know what else they might have added except for an automatic transmission. I think the time and budget constraints are what made the 1M special. It forced ///M to focus on the most important parts....plenty of power, excellent braking, good handling, good sound and fun. It did not become as diluted as the M3 has with manual, automatic, convertible, 2 door, 4-door, electronic suspension, automatics, manuals, etc etc. They just focused on the basics and that is what is magical about this project. The fact that most hard core fans would want a manual made them focus on that and the shifting feel is outstanding on this car. The clutch is great even with the CDV. While the next generation 1M will probably perform better with with more development time and money, it will still lack the charm of this 1M. I am certain it will have a manual and automatic option so anyone can drive one. At least this one, you have to know how to drive a stick and want to do it.

Sometimes people's best work comes when they have limited time and money and they have to focus on what really matters and I feel this is the case here. You know the P-51 Mustang was developed in a rush during WWII and I believe it was the fastest ever design-to-production aircraft to that day and yet it became the greatest fighter ever made according to many......oh and it didn't have a bespoke motor either, they ended up borrowing the Merlin engine from the Spitfire.

So I'm sure the next generation will be better on paper but it won't have the charm for me that this one does despite the numbers.
what, you don't have a V8 under the bonnet?

must be the only one
      05-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

Very well said.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

I personally think they would have considered more lightweight materials. Carbon roof. Opened up the vents around the sidemarkers and the parts in the back that they fitted the ugly black plastic (left/right). Maybe a better FMIC etc.

Pretty sure they would have created more BMW performance carbon options if the production cycle would have been longer:
* Carbon kidneys
* BMW Performance exhaust with carbon tips
* BMW performance upgraded FMIC
* BMW Performance optimized shortshifter for 1M

But agree that maybe not so much more in performance and handling. Its really excellent as is! (still dont get people messing with that Before even taking the car for many track events and really feeling the M-division did a bad job)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

They'd have made it lighter.
      05-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
Yes but lighter lighter...

BMW 1M: 1570 kg
BMW 135 coupe: 1545 kg
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Alino
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: VO BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANT123
It would have been neat if the car came with the modified E46 CSL engine mentioned in the article!
I love the 1M and its engine but since I've read the article about the early plans to put the csl engine in the 1M, I've been wondering how great it would have been. I just love the induction sound of the csl.
Imo it is the greatest car ever. But 50k for a 9 year old car was just too much. So I went for the 1M instead not that I regret it.
But still I miss the sound of the csl
      05-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post

I don't think they would. Every new //M car (or even AG car) has been getting more and MORE portly. Can you name a new modern day M car that is lighter than the earlier model?

I think what //M might have done is this...

CF roof
CF fenders
Some sort of hood styling
M designed seats
EDC "tuned" suspension, instead of using M3 parts bin tech.
DTC+Plus (maybe two programs)
2x's M buttons - like on the new M5 (programable modes)
bigger brakes
DCT option and more (classic M)color choices
N55 with 450 PS like the new (F80) M3 will have. Well... that is just a guess - but some of you might remember my laptop screen shot(!)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

FWIW, added additional 1M development info in my post above.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=2
Skip reading if you knew the (reposted) info already from earlier posts.
      05-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone;11****14
I don't think they would. Every new //M car (or even AG car) has been getting more and MORE portly. Can you name a new modern day M car that is lighter than the earlier model?

I think what //M might have done is this...

CF roof
CF fenders
Some sort of hood styling
M designed seats
EDC "tuned" suspension, instead of using M3 parts bin tech.
DTC+Plus (maybe two programs)
2x's M buttons - like on the new M5 (programable modes)
bigger brakes
DCT option and more (classic M)color choices
N55 with 450 PS like the new (F80) M3 will have. Well... that is just a guess - but some of you might remember my laptop screen shot(!)
Dackel,

I have to disagree with two of the points you made:

First is the brakes, who ever needed bigger brakes in the 1M, they might be the particularly strong point of the car.

Second, the DCT, I think the 1M project (which worked very well at the end) is all about "opting out" some newer technology, first and foremost might be the DCT.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

^^I'm just saying IF //M was given the money/budget... surely they would have made the 1M even more special than it already is. More powerfull and faster with more features. //M would want the 1M to appeal to the broadest market(s), surely a DCT would be in the plans. I am sure the next M2 will have a DCT along with other class leading equipment.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone;11****14
Yes, but obviously none of those cars had the theoretical unlimited budget the OP asked us to postulate on. I think it is inconceiveable that given a budget without limit more composite materials would not have been used to significantly reduce weight. But I can agree do disagree
      05-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I'm not sure what is meant by them having more budget, but they had to have a business plan for whatever they did, and the biggest obvious constraint was that they could not make it more expensive than M3! They also would not want to make it obviously "better" than the M3 (tho I like it better!) I think more time and flexibility in budget would only have yielded DCT...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
I'm not sure what is meant by them having more budget, but they had to have a business plan for whatever they did, and the biggest obvious constraint was that they could not make it more expensive than M3! They also would not want to make it obviously "better" than the M3 (tho I like it better!) I think more time and flexibility in budget would only have yielded DCT...
Even the DCT alone would make it faster than the M3 in most situation.
Appreciate 0