BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Angry Alpine V3s flickering upon startup

Dear 1Addicts community,

Lately my Alpine V3 angel eyes flicker upon engine startup on my 2008 128i. As soon as I turn the ignition on, they flicker, then return to normal within about 5 seconds.

What's strange is that I've had them for about 1.5 years with no problems. My current headlight settings are on auto (bi-xenons).

Was wondering if anyone knew how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Apologize if this is the wrong section to post..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

with all the forums here, noone really has time to post in the right one. I think i might start a rant thread on this.
      02-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
with all the forums here, noone really has time to post in the right one. I think i might start a rant thread on this.
hence my note in the first post......

if anyone knows the solution to this.....

Last edited by adobeee; 02-13-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just sent a private message to Alex@Alpine and waiting for his response. In the meantime, if anyone knows a fix, I would greatly appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Check all the wires and the connections. There are supposedly no problems with the V3 and I haven't heard of any. Alex told me a while ago that I was literally the only one who had a problem, and what happened was that the wiring shifted and ended up resting on the hot engine block. It melted the plastic and exposed the wires and messed up the HID kit pretty bad, but Alex sent me replacements ASAP. If that's not the case, then you might have one of the first ballasts to go bad, but if it's only 1.5 years old it should still be under warranty and Alex should send you a new one right away.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Feel free to read my thread. Please let us know if you actually get a hold of them.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=litebulb
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

we offer flicker free angel eyes from many different brands
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulb View Post
Feel free to read my thread. Please let us know if you actually get a hold of them.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=litebulb
I uploaded a video to Youtube showcasing the problem I am having:

I contacted Alex and he told me to contact him a few days later. He said it might be a battery problem, but the car doesn't show any odd signs of an old battery (however, sometimes when I leave my GPS plugged in, it shows up with a message saying that I need to plug in for power). The flicker varies (a lot vs. a little) and only happens when I unlock my car or start up my car. Anyways, I contacted him a few days later, but he never got back to me. I will continue to ping him.

Any further insights?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Check all the wires and the connections. There are supposedly no problems with the V3 and I haven't heard of any. Alex told me a while ago that I was literally the only one who had a problem, and what happened was that the wiring shifted and ended up resting on the hot engine block. It melted the plastic and exposed the wires and messed up the HID kit pretty bad, but Alex sent me replacements ASAP. If that's not the case, then you might have one of the first ballasts to go bad, but if it's only 1.5 years old it should still be under warranty and Alex should send you a new one right away.
The Alpine V3s don't turn on at all now when I unlock and aren't functioning while I am driving, as opposed to before. Alex said he would replace the bulbs and says my battery might be going out...but I'm not sure. I've checked the wiring and everything seems to be okay...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your continued issues buddy. I gave up on Alpine and took everything out. Hope you get some resolve but I wouldn't count on it.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeee View Post
The Alpine V3s don't turn on at all now when I unlock and aren't functioning while I am driving, as opposed to before. Alex said he would replace the bulbs and says my battery might be going out...but I'm not sure. I've checked the wiring and everything seems to be okay...
I could buy that it's a battery problem when the car is off, perhaps not giving up enough voltage to get them turned on. However once it's running, w/ the alternator up and going you should have plenty of voltage. FWIW this implies to me it's a problem w/ the lights, not the car. Then again, BMW's are strange and it's possible the voltage to the light is limited in some way separate from the alternator, and if both lights started acting up at the same time, that might imply it's not the lights.

Hmm, guess that wasn't much help.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
christopherkriens
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Coupé

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [8.62]
If it helps, I actually have a battery that is going bad from sitting this winter, to the point of throwing codes and telling me to take it in for service.. and my Alpines are working perfectly.
      03-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
I've read that the electronic system sends signals before the car is fully running (5-10 seconds) to 'check' the lights.

Seems like those low electric signals are showing?
      03-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
I've read that the electronic system sends signals before the car is fully running (5-10 seconds) to 'check' the lights.

I think (but don't know for sure) that occurs when the car is started up. Not at the door lock / unlock step. Could totally be wrong, good idea either way.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
JK135i
8:39
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [9.50]
Adobeee if he is gonna send you new bulbs get ready to wait for-fucking-ever. I ordered new bulbs January 27th and I still haven't got shit but keep getting replies to my emails saying that the bulbs will get shipped out.... Needless to say I have received nothing. Good luck.
      03-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

It really sucks that Alpine is letting so many of you guys down I have always been a huge fan of the angel eyes and the customer service, but I guess it happens..

If you are looking for new bulbs, check out DDM tuning (http://www.ddmtuning.com/) and look at their HID bulb sets. They are not 100% plug and play with Alpine's kit, but they are very similar. If you are comfortable simply cutting the connectors for both bulbs, and splicing the Alpine connectors onto new DDM bulbs, it works 100%. I did this to get a bluer color bulb than what I bought with my Alpine kit for cheap. It's even better if you can solder them together, but just cutting, twisting the wires together, and packing it up with electrical tape should work fine.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like a ballast problem. As far as I know, the V2 ballasts were riddled with problems, but no V3 ballasts have had issues thus far. These new problems could be the earliest reported batch of V2 problems, but I'm not an expert. If it's the ballasts, then I'm not sure if the DDM ones could be configured to work.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I think (but don't know for sure) that occurs when the car is started up. Not at the door lock / unlock step. Could totally be wrong, good idea either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK135i View Post
Adobeee if he is gonna send you new bulbs get ready to wait for-fucking-ever. I ordered new bulbs January 27th and I still haven't got shit but keep getting replies to my emails saying that the bulbs will get shipped out.... Needless to say I have received nothing. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
It really sucks that Alpine is letting so many of you guys down I have always been a huge fan of the angel eyes and the customer service, but I guess it happens..

If you are looking for new bulbs, check out DDM tuning (http://www.ddmtuning.com/) and look at their HID bulb sets. They are not 100% plug and play with Alpine's kit, but they are very similar. If you are comfortable simply cutting the connectors for both bulbs, and splicing the Alpine connectors onto new DDM bulbs, it works 100%. I did this to get a bluer color bulb than what I bought with my Alpine kit for cheap. It's even better if you can solder them together, but just cutting, twisting the wires together, and packing it up with electrical tape should work fine.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like a ballast problem. As far as I know, the V2 ballasts were riddled with problems, but no V3 ballasts have had issues thus far. These new problems could be the earliest reported batch of V2 problems, but I'm not an expert. If it's the ballasts, then I'm not sure if the DDM ones could be configured to work.
Guys,

I met up with Alex and he's been extremely helpful with fixing my Alpine v3s. Turns out the person that helped me install it a year ago placed the wires and power block very close to the oil tube left of the engine. The flickering occurred because part of the wire and power block melted (thus being partly functional) and eventually gave out. I should have been smarter to notice the issue. He helped replace the wire and installed an additional power block and all was fixed in 10 minutes.

It helps if you guys are local...Alex is extremely busy. I met up with him around 8 at night to help fix. Overall a pleasurable experience..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeee View Post
Guys,

I met up with Alex and he's been extremely helpful with fixing my Alpine v3s. Turns out the person that helped me install it a year ago placed the wires and power block very close to the oil tube left of the engine. The flickering occurred because part of the wire and power block melted (thus being partly functional) and eventually gave out. I should have been smarter to notice the issue. He helped replace the wire and installed an additional power block and all was fixed in 10 minutes.

It helps if you guys are local...Alex is extremely busy. I met up with him around 8 at night to help fix. Overall a pleasurable experience..

that is exactly what happened to me. it was the only instance (up to that point) that alex had ever heard of his v3 kit failing. it was an installation error and alex still hooked us both up i'm glad you were able to sort it out!

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
The Black Pearl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Has Alex responded to anyone, other than going to see him in person?
Appreciate 0