BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
m3nt0s
Rep
Drives: 09 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Talking New to BMW, old to Euros, picked up my 128i last weekend

Hi everyone,

After almost 5 years of ownership, last weekend I traded in my Stage 2 2004 Volvo S60R for something completely different - a CPO 09 128i, Jet Black on Black Leatherette, AT, which will become my new project car. I've been a long-time Volvo enthusiast highly involved on swedespeed.com's forums, and my family and I have had a total of 5 Volvos over the last 11 years. I always loved the sound of the 5 cylinder turbos, but never did any modding until I picked up the S60R back in late 07. With at least $10k thrown under the hood of the thing (Volvo aftermarket is microscopic and outrageously expensive) the novelty of hearing "Is THAT a VOLVO???" finally wore off.

I've become more interested in the sort of car that can be tastefully modded/personalized, but also has a great feel for the road, enough power to have fun (couldn't care less about racing), has a well-established community and following, and most importantly, is a hoot to drive without bankrupting me in the process. Moving from my old car to the new one, I've essentially been able to get away from an AWD/Haldex and Traction/Stability system that had no place being on the car, front wheels/tires that rubbed in stock form, a perplexing "twin" intercooler system for a big turbo connected to an engine that struggled to handle its power, an electronically controlled suspension with no mode between "Boaty" and "Butthurt" that could NOT be removed from the car without computer problems, and driver's seat leather that needed replacement every ~35k miles. At just under 75k miles, the car has averaged $4300 a year in parts honored under warranty, so I was actually relieved to get rid of the car 1 day before the extended warranty expired. I do miss the good times in that car, but the bad times made up the majority of my experience with that vehicle.

I test drove both a MK6 GTI (Autobahn package, DSG) and a B6 S4 (Also Auto Trans) but couldn't connect with either car in the same way I connected with the little 128. The car fell within my budget as a CPO vehicle, and the test drive won me over within minutes. What struck me the most is how the car feels simple and connects you to what is going on.

The 128 is pretty spartan when it comes to features, but I have everything I want in order to enjoy the car. I actually utilized a lot of the information on these forums to help negotiate a better price and to make sure I was buying exactly what I needed - thanks to all the members who have contributed their time and energy (and money!) I'll do my best to search before asking noob questions.

Here's some pics of the S60R I just traded in...

And of course, the new 128i - I do realize that there's some serious swirl/scratch/ding work to be done, but only had it for a week and only had time for one mediocre wash so far!

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Carolinagirl
Southern Belle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM 428i

Congrats and welcome.
      08-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Congrats. Im sure it will keep you happy for years to come.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

congrats! I have the wheels you hvae on your volvo on my 128i hehe
      08-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
m3nt0s
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Thanks for the warm welcome!

PA roads totally destroyed my Ultraleggeras over the couple years that I had them. While they were fantastic off the line and made the steering very nimble, potholes took their toll, with one still sitting in my garage totally unrepairable. They will do you just fine as long as you drive in a way other than I do

I must say, I had some A/S Goodyear Eagle F1's on them and those things took a serious beating, only being replaced once the tread was totally gone. They were fantastic in the rain and light snow too! Great tire for the northeast if you're only running one set of wheels and tires year round (which I've learned NOT to do now!)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

That's about the most aggressive looking Volvo i've ever seen, very nice. Welcome to 1addicts!

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Glad to have you!

Just curious, why not a 135?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
m3nt0s
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
That's about the most aggressive looking Volvo i've ever seen, very nice. Welcome to 1addicts!
Thanks! Believe it or not, the top two photos are stock 18" wheels and optional factory body kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
Glad to have you!

Just curious, why not a 135?
Well, I can't say HFPF or something like that because it really doesn't bother me all that much. Honestly, the thing that's kept my personal operating budget low the last few years has been the temptation to mod, mod, mod! With a car that comes from the factory turbocharged, mods are relatively easy, and very very tempting for me. After having multiple turbo cars over the years (obviously not BMW's though) I really just wanted something that's simpler the whole way around. No turbos (or lag), no AWD, no electronic suspension, and overall just more inherently reliable. I realize comparing Volvo Turbo to BMW Turbo is apples to oranges, it's just something totally different and the 128's payments fit my budget perfectly, almost dollar-for-dollar taking the place of another loan that will be gone inside of 2 months. BMW's history of NA engines is fantastic too. Did I mention it was also a semi-impulse buying decision?

I suppose that's just a really long way of saying I just wanted something that's cheaper for me all around, which includes lesser urge to heavily mod. BMW really put together a fine car, and chances are that with my luck, the more I do to it, the more likely I am to ruin it
Appreciate 0