BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Plover
Rep
Drives: 1M

Rear Speaker choice

I plan to replace the rear stock speakers of the 1M with Focal 100 CA1 coaxial 4" speakers. But as the Focal's tweeter extends slightly above the surround of the speaker I'm not sure whether the tweeter might touch the grille (cover).

Has anyone actually installed the Focal 100 CA1 coaxial speakers?

Any suggestion on other speakers besides Focal?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
RoninWheels
Mr. Brand Loyalist
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2cs

morel and dynaudio make a nice speaker as well
      06-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

I just put Dynaudio in my Land Rover Defender (after a very good experience years ago in a VW Golf Gti) - they do rock, but love power. However, they only make component speakers I think, not dual cone drivers, so finding something to fit in the hole might be tricky...
      06-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Plover
Rep

Thanks a lot for your response.

I shall certainly do some research on these speakers before making a decision.

There is also the issue of mounting holes: the stock speakers have 3 whereas the aftermarket ones have 4.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

How about not worrying about the rears and getting someting really nice in the front? :-)
      06-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Plover
Rep

Thanks for your suggestion, Clived.

While waiting for the delivery of the 1M in July I've been doing some research on the audio upgrade of its hi-fi speaker system. So far my preference for the front speakers are (a) Focal 100 KRS 4" component, and (b) Morel Hybrid Ovation II 4" component (now replaced by Morel Hybrid Integra 402?). I'd look forward to your comments.

I've come across the suggestion that the first stage of audio upgrade is to replace the stock amplifier. It seems to make a lot of sense. But as I've limited knowledge on car audio , I prefer to go for the speaker replacement first which appears less complicated. If it should fail, I might be able to re-install the stock speakers.

Regarding the amplifier, I've read somewhere that the BMW head unit does not have a 'remote turn-on' outlet. If this is true, it seems rather complicated for me to do the amp replacement. On the other hand, if the original wiring harness linking up the HU and the amp could be retained for connection to a JL Audio XD400/4 amp, less interior trim removal might be involved. (Technic's harness is not an option as they are not available to me due to shipping complication).

Any advice on the amp replacement is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
mangotangoe
Private First Class
Rep

Save yourself some time and money and do a search for users Technic and VP Electricity. Both have invaluable recommendations concerning upgrade paths.
Money spent on rear speakers can be much better spent in other areas.
      06-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
I have wilson audio and bowers and wilkins in my home, shy of that type of quality I wouldn't waste my money.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
I have wilson audio and bowers and wilkins in my home, shy of that type of quality I wouldn't waste my money.
Does that mean you never listen to any music in your car?
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
Plover
Rep

I too have Bowers & Wilkins speakers as well as ProAc speakers at home. Yes, they are nice.

I also enjoy listening to music in my car especially while waiting for my wife and kid. This could amount to 60 or 90 minutes per week on average. So why not do some upgrade on the audio system? I didn't take up the dealer's option of Harman Kardon. the HK audio system in my old E46 M3 was not that impressive.

Sound imaging might be important to some folks (and experts) and they normally regard rear speakers as insignificant. Still, I enjoy music coming from the rear deck at times, especially when my seating position is more or less prone, i.e. in waiting mode. That's me and my preference developed from personal experience.

In addition to what was written by Technic and VP Electricity, I have also spent time reading "Auto Audio" and "Car Stereo Cookbook" written by Messrs. Andrew Yoder and Mark Rumreich respectively. In fact, I have discussed with several professional installers as well.

In any case it won't hurt to hear the opinion and personal experience of other 1M owners. After all, I guess that this is a place for sharing info and experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

I didn't take the HK option either. Anyone have suggestions for overall sound improvement without spending a fortune. How much does one need to spend to get good quality sound and what would one buy assuming we are not starting with HK?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangotangoe View Post
Save yourself some time and money and do a search for users Technic and VP Electricity. Both have invaluable recommendations concerning upgrade paths.
Money spent on rear speakers can be much better spent in other areas.
I know theres a thread on here of an audophile who upgraded his M to a very nice system but dont recall the link, try searching, i know its there
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Being a bit of audiophile myself, I took a chance the factory HK system. After my last car and chasing after decent sound I decided that it wasn't worth the effort and the tearing up this car searching for it.

I'm actually very glad I did. The HK system passed my expectations and does a very competent job at pumping out a decent sound. I saved the money to add to the home system in which the benefits are realized way more.

As for upgrades without the factory HK upgrade, I'd just make it simple and as non-intrusive as possible and go with the pre-arranged options that VP has designed IMHO.
      06-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeremi View Post
Being a bit of audiophile myself, I took a chance the factory HK system. After my last car and chasing after decent sound I decided that it wasn't worth the effort and the tearing up this car searching for it.

I'm actually very glad I did. The HK system passed my expectations and does a very competent job at pumping out a decent sound. I saved the money to add to the home system in which the benefits are realized way more.

As for upgrades without the factory HK upgrade, I'd just make it simple and as non-intrusive as possible and go with the pre-arranged options that VP has designed IMHO.
yeah that thread had very nice speakers that were sized/matched appropriately as direct replacements for the under the seat subs, tweeter, and an add on speaker into the door to fill in the open spot left by not ordering the HK option
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
mangotangoe
Private First Class
Rep

Check out http://www.musicarnw.com/
Based on their recommendations, I have a combination of Morel speakers powered by a Zapco amp that sounds fantastic. Note, I am not using any rear speakers.
      06-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #16
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Keep in mind the Factory HK System requires 30 hours of break in time before you will get optimal audio
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
Plover
Rep

Looks like I'll do the upgrade of the speakers myself and leave the amp replacement to the professional installers. It will be discomforting to see the interior being torn apart. Time to start finding a reliable installer.
Quote:
I know theres a thread on here of an audophile who upgraded his M to a very nice system but dont recall the link, try searching, i know its there
Firechicken99, I guess you might be referring to this--
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654680

I've already studied it a number of times when I started my research some weeks ago. Very informative! Thanks.

Last edited by Plover; 06-23-2012 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: typing error
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
Plover
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangotangoe View Post
Check out http://www.musicarnw.com/
Based on their recommendations, I have a combination of Morel speakers powered by a Zapco amp that sounds fantastic. Note, I am not using any rear speakers.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure they are good.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeremi View Post

I agree that the HK is decent (and have never had much luck with upgraded units on other cars--either factory or aftermarket), tho I only have Magnepans and Audio Research at home.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
Plover
Rep

Looks like the JL Audio XD 600/6 is a good replacement for the stock amp. Though compact in size, it is quite powerful. Hopefully, heat is not a problem.

I'd most probably re-install the stock amp when I no longer keep the 1M, though this could be a few years from now. The XD600 would then be used in new car.

I noted that the stock amp of the 1M's Hi-fi system has a 'remote turn-on' wire. Could it be pin #10 (thin black wire) on the OEM amp harness? It's getting interesting, I might re-consider doing DIY on the amp change after all. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #21
Plover
Rep

Installation of MB Quart 4" coaxial speakers to replace the rear speakers has completed. Next, the Focal 100KRS will replace the front door mid. This will most probably be followed by amp replacement.

The speaker grills were re-installed with no problem even though it appears to extend a bit too high in the photo.

The use of Molex is to facilitate the reversion to stock speakers in future. Given the price of MB Quart ONX110, I guess this might not happen though.

After all I just want to gain some experience before doing the front speaker.
Attached Images

Last edited by Plover; 12-16-2012 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #22
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep

How do you feel about the the rears? I am dying to upgrade my Hifi as well