BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #23
mra
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I think this will be a really great package but if you're after a fully engineered "M car" then the next version will be the one to get (or the next M3 going back to a six). They've been upfront in saying there was no time for this one.

If it's around $100k mark then great, you can probably justify the extra bits + M model designation but anything more and it becomes a very expensive dressed up 135 even if it looks great with those flared guards!

I always said that I'd order this if it did eventuate but now I'm thinking I'll keep my 135, maybe a few mods and see what M and others have in a couple of years. So... still on the fence for me until pricing is announced but I'm not in a rush to put an order down as it stands.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #24
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mra View Post
I think this will be a really great package but if you're after a fully engineered "M car" then the next version will be the one to get (or the next M3 going back to a six). They've been upfront in saying there was no time for this one.

If it's around $100k mark then great, you can probably justify the extra bits + M model designation but anything more and it becomes a very expensive dressed up 135 even if it looks great with those flared guards!

I always said that I'd order this if it did eventuate but now I'm thinking I'll keep my 135, maybe a few mods and see what M and others have in a couple of years. So... still on the fence for me until pricing is announced but I'm not in a rush to put an order down as it stands.
Rest assured, $100k will not buy you a car. As I have said here before, if a well optioned 135i costs RRP OTR of nigh on $100k how can a 1M cost $100k. Bottom line somewhere between a E90 M3 and the 135i is where they will hit, anymore and they are too close.

Let me ask you this, IF you were in the market for a fully specified 135i, ie you don't own a MY2011 135i, a Cayman, TTS or RS this car would be in the mix. It will (IMO) be in the same price point and would be a desirable car for those shopping in this $ bracket.

It is not a 135iS, that would be a 135i with an ECU tweak (some say like the 1M has) nothing else. Read the threads and specs and you will see this is a hell of a lot more than any iS model will ever be.

Me, I like the idea of an M massaged car, limited in build #s and performance out of the box (no mods necessary), fully tax deductible. A car that is sub 5 secs and only fractionally slower than an E92 M3 round the ring is a good thing, and for ~$60k less (than an M3, all hail the king).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #25
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Rest assured, $100k will not buy you a car. As I have said here before, if a well optioned 135i costs RRP OTR of nigh on $100k how can a 1M cost $100k. Bottom line somewhere between a E90 M3 and the 135i is where they will hit, anymore and they are too close.

Let me ask you this, IF you were in the market for a fully specified 135i, ie you don't own a MY2011 135i, a Cayman, TTS or RS this car would be in the mix. It will (IMO) be in the same price point and would be a desirable car for those shopping in this $ bracket.

It is not a 135iS, that would be a 135i with an ECU tweak (some say like the 1M has) nothing else. Read the threads and specs and you will see this is a hell of a lot more than any iS model will ever be.

Me, I like the idea of an M massaged car, limited in build #s and performance out of the box (no mods necessary), fully tax deductible. A car that is sub 5 secs and only fractionally slower than an E92 M3 round the ring is a good thing, and for ~$60k less (than an M3, all hail the king).
As long as it is between E90 and 135i pricing. I was quite happy to pay for E90 pricing until they didn't seem to do anything to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #26
mra
Private
Rep

Quote:

You could spec an A3 3.2 to cost far more than an S3 if you went nuts on options... 135 is still a $28k less starting point.

But what I'm saying is that I don't see the value in it if you're up around $120-130k as much as I like this car.

I'm sure I'll probably salivate over your 1M should I see it around the streets of Canberra
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:42 AM   #27
Hawkeye 135i
Private First Class
Rep

For $120-130k+, why not buy a slightly/lightly used M3?

For me the 1M sounds like an amalgam of parts, designed and engineered as an afterthought, at a fairly robust price premium to the 135i. That being said, it could be a incredible car worth every cent of the asking price.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 04:29 AM   #28
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

The 1M looks like a nice car, but until it gets a true M motor then no go for me IMHO.

Had they shoehorned the M3 v8 into it then it would be awesome, an N54is motor isn't the real deal, nice car or not.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #29
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye 135i View Post
That being said, it could be a incredible car worth every cent of the asking price.
Good call. To me, M cars have always been greater than the sum of their parts. So, when looked at as an engine, tacked onto M3 suspension, covered in a fancy bodykit, it doesn't add up. But when put all together it is mind-blowing......I hope.
      12-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #30
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

I just hope they sort the fuel pumps
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #31
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:

I bought a badly optioned car (new) for a snip under 72!!!

Couldn't give a toss about the badge - Only bought it for the donk with 2 hairdryers!

What a mistake - looks like I may be getting pump no. 5
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #32
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
I bought a badly optioned car (new) for a snip under 72!!!

Couldn't give a toss about the badge - Only bought it for the donk with 2 hairdryers!

What a mistake - looks like I may be getting pump no. 5
Guys, again I am quoting RRP not street pricing.

I bought a TTS, well optioned, retailing OTR at $122k for OTR $90k, so discounts are always to be had. But remember, the 1M is not purported to be a standard order/catalog car, it is "supposed" to be limited in Oz at 100 car. On that basis I don't think there will be $10k-$30k discounts to be had like vanilla 1 series cars so the delta between the two will be greater than an RRP comparison shows.

At the end of the day it is always a personal decision, one that is dictated by circumstance and preferences. If one has a current 135i one will always have a bias towards saying that a 1M is not worth it. If you are in a buying phase for a new car, in THAT price range (whatever it is) then a 1M will definately be a good choice against the similar priced cars (TTS, Cayman, Box, RS3, second hand M3 etc).

Re turbo failures, I read that this is a real and ongoing problem (never had an issue with my 135i in the past), very disappointing on the part of BMW. I could hope that they have addressed this in the 1M, though that would be a leap of faith (however scary that is).

I wouldn't buy another 135i, I would however buy a 1M (it goes harder, looks awesome, limited build #s and has a nice(r) interior) potentially to replace my 3 year old E92 M3. It may just serve as a good interim car till the next gen M2 or M3 arrives. As I said, look at the car in isolation and it seems to be good value and will compete well against competition in it's expected price point.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #33
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I agree with your points AlpineM3E92. If the 1M comes in at 120-130k it will be a good matchup against its competitors including the TTRS. However, it makes me think the 135i is even better value considering it shares the same engine platform.

I still think the 1M is a good package, I'm not too fussed about the engine as I'm aware of it's potential and I think it would be a waste to buy a 1M and keep it stock. I would have liked to have seen a 1M specific hood/bonnet to compliment the bodykit and at the very least the inclusion of proper M sport seats in the interior.

The reality is any 135i with a JB3/Procede will be faster than a 1M in a straight line. I'm actually unsure if the 1M will have an advantage over the 135i because they share the same engine platform but time will tell if there are other differences to help make this power.

There are plenty of 135i owners that run a piggyback but later find the suspension and tyres are inadequate and then spend even more money addressing these issues until they are content with their setup. The 1M has none of these weaknesses, I believe it is the perfect setup to concentrate solely on modifying the engine as it will have no problem putting the power down and feel great in the corners. I'm really looking forward to seeing some modified 1M's. If BMW tuned the 1M to 275kw at the crank (with the same engine) I think there would be fewer complaints, even if the rest of the car was the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #34
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I agree with your points AlpineM3E92. If the 1M comes in at 120-130k it will be a good matchup against its competitors including the TTRS. However, it makes me think the 135i is even better value considering it shares the same engine platform.

I still think the 1M is a good package, I'm not too fussed about the engine as I'm aware of it's potential and I think it would be a waste to buy a 1M and keep it stock. I would have liked to have seen a 1M specific hood/bonnet to compliment the bodykit and at the very least the inclusion of proper M sport seats in the interior.

The reality is any 135i with a JB3/Procede will be faster than a 1M in a straight line. I'm actually unsure if the 1M will have an advantage over the 135i because they share the same engine platform but time will tell if there are other differences to help make this power.

There are plenty of 135i owners that run a piggyback but later find the suspension and tyres are inadequate and then spend even more money addressing these issues until they are content with their setup. The 1M has none of these weaknesses, I believe it is the perfect setup to concentrate solely on modifying the engine as it will have no problem putting the power down and feel great in the corners. I'm really looking forward to seeing some modified 1M's. If BMW tuned the 1M to 275kw at the crank (with the same engine) I think there would be fewer complaints, even if the rest of the car was the same.
To me it is not the maximum power, but how it delivers that power. At the moment, it doesn't seem anything has changed to address that, but rumours (are we are just hoping) there are more tuning involve with the engine than the Z4iS - ie same spec, but faster spools, less drop off towards the top end, and no limp mode issues <-- I might not make talking sense as I have no idea about mechanics.

Besides, a M car supposed to have their engine hand built with smaller tolerance of error - so if the 1M engine is built on production line or hand built by M will be another thing that might make a little difference.

If the above are true, even though you can't crank out more HP than a standard 135i with the engine with a tune on the 1M, it would be able to handle the increase power much better than a standard 135i.

Let's hope .
Appreciate 0