BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Oil Filter

Hi all,

Ok - proceeding to do my first self-oil change on Christine. Done a few with the Subaru, but haven't done one with Christine yet.

Deciding to not allow BMW to charge hundreds of bucks for a pretty simple procedure.

Does anyone else do self-changes? If so, which filters are you using and where do you source them from?

Thanks in advance for all the help

Alex
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I just use BMW filters when I change my own oil. Either buy locally via the $tealership or when I'm getting some gear from the UK I'll generally get a couple of filters at the same time.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
I just use BMW filters when I change my own oil. Either buy locally via the $tealership or when I'm getting some gear from the UK I'll generally get a couple of filters at the same time.
What's the $tealership general price?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I only use BMW oil filters while my car is under the factory warranty. An oil filter at the dealer costs 12 euros. I have also bought an aftermarket Mahle oil filter for 8 euros. I bought it just to compare to the OEM one. BMW's oil filter looks a tad better made.

You should also only use a oil that carries a "BMW Long Life 4" (at least for cars in europe with low sulphur fuel). For cars in the USA you want to use a LL-1 oil.

I use German Castrol 0w40 LL-4 oil. You can also just buy the correct oil and filter from your local BMW dealer.

Here is a very good DIY link for changing ones oil. JimD did a nice job taking pics and with his writeup. I also posted some pics of my 135i's oil change job.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...diy+oil+change

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I only use BMW oil filters while my car is under the factory warranty. An oil filter at the dealer costs 12 euros. I have also bought an aftermarket Mahle oil filter for 8 euros. I bought it just to compare to the OEM one. BMW's oil filter looks a tad better made.

You should also only use a oil that carries a "BMW Long Life 4" (at least for cars in europe with low sulphur fuel). For cars in the USA you want to use a LL-1 oil.

I use German Castrol 0w40 LL-4 oil. You can also just buy the correct oil and filter from your local BMW dealer.

Here is a very good DIY link for changing ones oil. JimD did a nice job taking pics and with his writeup. I also posted some pics of my 135i's oil change job.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...diy+oil+change

Dackel

Hi Dackel

Thanks for that - i'm mainly looking at the source for the oil filter.

On that note, with my only other oil service, i've used Mobil 1 Gold SuperSyn 0w-40. Pretty damn expensive!

Just need to find a ramp
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
What's the $tealership general price?
Alex about $25 or there about.

Ramps I have a set your welcome to borrow as long as they boomerang back. They have the extension bits so low cars can use them without scraping.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Mangley following thread intently - was quoted 300 by dealer!!!!

Series 2 Scirroco was easy, so thinks playdo and noddy car with dogey pumps can't be that hard!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

What do you guys pay for the BMW full synthetic oil thru the dealer? Over here in Germany its about 23 euros PER liter (times 6.5 liters!). The oil filter is 12 euros. The first oil service runs about 280 euros at most dealers (if you let them use their oil and filter parts. (that is for an oil and filter change and pollen micro filter) Over here you gotta get that service "stamp" in the maintenence book or you risk having to warranty later on. I brought the BMW dealer my oil and they charged me 65 euros in labor (but with an oil filter). No pollen micro filter & that was without the 19% sales tax.

I do my own inbetween oil changes though. I always use a BMW oil filter from the dealer and German Castrol 0w40 LL4 oil. Normally a 5L jug of this oil sells for 76 euros. I can get it at a discount and without German sales tax (+19%) for 50 euros for that 5L jug.

Changing ones oil in our car's is quite easy. Takes less than an hour. You only need simple hand tools. 17mm socket/ratchet for the 135i's or a 8mm (or is it a 6mm?) allen for the 128i oil plug drain, oil filter cap wrench, and a flat blade screw driver, and a small pick to remove the old filter cap O-rings, and maybe a funnel to pour the new oil into the engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Alex about $25 or there about.

Ramps I have a set your welcome to borrow as long as they boomerang back. They have the extension bits so low cars can use them without scraping.
+ 1

Don't dare use Autobarn (or other) ramps without extensions. I couldn't even get my old 120i up without extensions.
      12-17-2010, 03:55 AM   #10
Cruiser
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport Convert Manual

Hi Alex,

Just go down to CCs and pick up an oil filter. It's the new building higher up on Roger street. Can't remember the cost but it is no big deal. I know you don't like going there but it is only the parts section!

Definitely use the ramps etc but I would suggest you also raise the back of the car too because the oil can very easily spurt sideways into the engine cover/tray and that is such a pain to wash out...

Yes use the same Mobil oil you used last time.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #11
et381
Rep
Drives: 135i AW

I found it easiest to get the filter from the dealer, it comes in a kit with a crusher and o ring.

For the 135 I used a jack and then put a few old phone books on each front wheel to keep it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by et381 View Post
I found it easiest to get the filter from the dealer, it comes in a kit with a crusher and o ring.

For the 135 I used a jack and then put a few old phone books on each front wheel to keep it up.
+1 on the BMW oil filter kit.

But... you really ought to invest in some jack stands!
Appreciate 0