BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #309
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Agree with Vinney, although he has a huge list of most that even he can't remember, Adrian's 135i is by far the most hardcore 135i in Australia without advertising it.
+1

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #310
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Hi JD

I'm ready to pay and 100% committed to the kit. I'm only awaiting photos of the customised bracket as I'm installing this myself and hope the DIY is not too far away either. I'm also curious to hear how this kit performs on a AT 135i too now that we have someone with this kit fitted to their car.

I have no doubt this kit works as you have described but you are comparing it to your MT 135i, even though it is making a ton of power over stock.

The reason I am concerned about how well this kit will perform is because I've completed multiple track days and long story short, ALL of the AT 135i's went into limp mode multiple times, and for some of us every single session. It was an ongoing issue and has been for me every single time I track my car, in some instances I'm lucky to get 2 hot laps in. I have tested this on 2 different tracks as well, in hot and cooler conditions.

On the contrary, ALL of the MT 135i's have never experienced this problem, and this is at both tracks. There is only 1 MT 135i that I know of that has gone into limp mode one time ever, and he has tracked his MT 135i many many times, more than anyone else I know. That happened to be on a very hot day too.

If your 135i happened to be an AT I could relate to your experience and give it more weight, but if you have seen my AT 135i perform at track days it is very frustrating and disappointing.

I'm committed to the kit but I'm yet to even see some final photos of what I'm actually buying and what the bracket looks like. And if Drawn05 still experiences limp then it's likely that I will need to upgrade other components such as the radiator or do a trans cooler if that will help fix the issue, which I would like to know before hand.
Hey Vinney,

I appreciate your feedback but I am well aware that AT vehicles are far more prone to CEL's and the dreaded the "limp mode", as a result of track use.

We have had the upgraded PWR AT compatible rad' in the works for some time now, however it would seem it's a hard sell even as a on-off at 20% below our cost price.

I consider stabilisation of engine oil temps, coolant temps and automatic transmission fluid temps to be separate issues.

Whilst there is a correlation between oil temps and water temps and likewise I suspect there is a correlation between water temps and AT fluid temps, it's not super significant.

In Steve's case I am confident his vehicle will not throw a CEL or "limp" as a result of excessive engine oil temperature on Wednesday, but that is not to say he may not have a problem with water or transmission fluid temps.

If the above does occur as unfortunate and frustrating as it is, we have a two differing solutions that will address both engine coolant and AT fluid temps.

It just depends on which way he wants to go and how much he is prepared to spend on the fix, to ensure reliability when tracking the car.

Lastly Vinney I will post up some pretty pics of the entire Stage 2 kit shortly and please rest assured the bracket looks quite nice.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 04-30-2012 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #311
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Pretty fair call. Knowing Peter though he would have thought it through and come up with a workable solution. I'm sure the local mob in Sydney will be able to scope it out at Eastern Creek on Wednesday and can probably snap a few photos or at least have a good sticky beak at Justin's 135 then.
Hi Benny,

I would say you know Peter better than most forum members here and I am sure you would agree, he is very much systematic in his approach to building a race car.

Whilst I have no formal qualifications as a mechanic, I very much have a technical background and also prefer to do things "by the number".

By far and away the biggest issue when tracking either a MT or AT 135i/335i vehicle that has been "tuned" is excessive oil temps, I believe we have sorted that out with our Stage 2 oil cooler kits.

Now that we have a "fix" for that, we can move onto the next potential problem, that being water or AT fluid temps, possibly both.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 04-30-2012 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #312
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Hi JD,

Sorry for getting to this earlier. Have been away and a little preoccupied with some projects.

This all looks good. Are you able to PM the full cost including postage to Darwin 0800? I will have this paid via DD for you gents.

How are we going on the DIY front? Our mechanics are happy to fit it as long as they have instructions. Also, I should have clarified this earlier, but this will fit the 1M the same as a 135i??

Thanks in Adavan-ce (sorry couldn't help myself).
Hey mate,

that is ok, I understand and I will shoot you a PM once I have a shipping estimate.

With regards the DIY it's best that I speak to "young" Chris or Pete about that, as I was not at the workshop on Friday when they fitted Steve's car up with the Stage 2 kit.

FYI,

I am still rocking our Stage 1 kit, but time permitting we will swap that out for the Stage 2 later this week.

I would not presume to say that it would be compatible with a 1M as I know the front bars are quite a bit different, I thought you had a 135i or am I mistaken?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #313
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey mate,

that is ok, I understand and I will shoot you a PM once I have a shipping estimate.

With regards the DIY it's best that I speak to "young" Chris or Pete about that, as I was not at the workshop on Friday when they fitted Steve's car up with the Stage 2 kit.

FYI,

I am still rocking our Stage 1 kit, but time permitting we will swap that out for the Stage 2 later this week.

I would not presume to say that it would be compatible with a 1M as I know the front bars are quite a bit different, I thought you had a 135i or am I mistaken?
Sorry mate, perhaps I should have been clearer. It is a 1M. Are we able to determine 1M fitment for the kit?
      04-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #314
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey mate,

FYI,

Sorry mate, perhaps I should have been clearer. It is a 1M. Are we able to determine 1M fitment for the kit?
Are you having cooling issues on the 1m?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #315
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Shouldnt... As we already have twin oil coolers as OEM on the 1M.. But then again, we dont live in Darwin..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #316
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Yes, on the track. I've never been past 120C on the road. On the track 3 or 4 flat out laps see the temps head past 130-140C in a hurry.

I've recently been doing 120kmph on the straight and this has let me do about 20-30 laps back to back with temps at 120C.
      04-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #317
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes, on the track. I've never been past 120C on the road. On the track 3 or 4 flat out laps see the temps head past 130-140C in a hurry.

I've recently been doing 120kmph on the straight and this has let me do about 20-30 laps back to back with temps at 120C.
No Limp modes at those temps mate ?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #318
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
No Limp modes at those temps mate ?
Not at all mate. One or two times I've had white line fever racing my business partner and it's probably a bit higher still. Not even a noticeable drop in performance.

Just concerned about longevity etc...
      04-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #319
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Not at all mate. One or two times I've had white line fever racing my business partner and it's probably a bit higher still. Not even a noticeable drop in performance.

Just concerned about longevity etc...
Thats good to know..thanks mate.

OT: but this was brought to my attention, and I just placed my order..
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684323
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #320
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thats good to know..thanks mate.

OT: but this was brought to my attention, and I just placed my order..
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684323
Was definitely impressed. Have you taken it out yet mate? Definitely recommended!

I just ordered as well! We can bunch up postage if it's significant.
      04-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #321
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
Limp mode starts at ~155 for oil & ~120 for water on the N54
Thanks for that info Ianf. Looks good.

I'm just concerned about the long term effects of running the engine at those temps.
      04-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #322
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Was definitely impressed. Have you taken it out yet mate? Definitely recommended!

I just ordered as well! We can bunch up postage if it's significant.
Taking the 1M out tomorrow to EC.. will let you know how she goes.

Will talk about postage once they confirm delivery..thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #323
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Taking the 1M out tomorrow to EC.. will let you know how she goes.

Will talk about postage once they confirm delivery..thanks
That should be good fun - looking forward to your thoughts. I'd suggest leaving it on MDM until you're comfortable. This car is such a riot on the track. A bit heavy but just brilliant!

Sure on postage.
      04-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #324
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

^Postage is $44 to Australia, according to Rick's website. It's not that significant to worry about combining shipping I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #325
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
^Postage is $44 to Australia, according to Rick's website. It's not that significant to worry about combining shipping I reckon.
True....Thats what they quoted me today..... I hadn't received my reply from them in regards to postage, when I placed that post..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #326
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
True....Thats what they quoted me today..... I hadn't received my reply from them in regards to postage, when I placed that post..
I wasn't sure if you guys had enquired yet so I thought I'd mention it. All good
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #327
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
44 DOLLARS??????? Holy Moly!
      04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #328
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Shouldnt... As we already have twin oil coolers as OEM on the 1M.. But then again, we dont live in Darwin..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1M has one oil cooler as per the 135 & an extra water cooler under the LH headlight as per the N54 BMW Performance Kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #329
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1M has one oil cooler as per the 135 & an extra water cooler under the LH headlight as per the N54 BMW Performance Kit.
You could be correct here Tim.. I did some research, but had a mixed conclusion, to whether its a extra oil cooler or extra radiator.

I know the 1M uses the 850 watt radiator fan, instead of the 650 watt in the 135i as in the PPK upgrade.

Maybe someone can chime in with some deffinate answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #330
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Don't make fun of Darwin! The weather right now is just to die for!