BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

cp-e DCI Install Fail

So I undertook my first "successful" mechanical install last night installing my new cp-e DCIs, or so I thought.

I had some issues inserting the metal coupler into the factory accordion intake pipes because the fit was extremely tight. I managed to push them in about 1/2 an inch and tightened the hose clamp and tried tugging on it a bit. It seemed ok.

I installed the filters on and took it for a short drive and rechecked the install and it seemed nice and tight still.

After getting home from work today I took another look and both of the intake filter couplers had popped out of the accordion pipe.

I reinstalled the intakes, this time managing to push the couplers the full 1 inch in as the engine and pipes were quite warm allowing it to more easily push in.

Now the engine seemed fine on the drive home and I have no warning lights but for some amount of time my intakes have been sucking in unfiltered air...

Out of 10, how worried should I be?
      08-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

If your dive was short and you didn't do any off roading / drive in a sand storm, you should be ok.

You may want to change oil sooner than scheduled.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds
If your dive was short and you didn't do any off roading / drive in a sand storm, you should be ok.

You may want to change oil sooner than scheduled.
Thanks Suds.

Though my drive wasn't exactly short (55km each way and I also went into the city tonight), the weather was pretty clear and didn't run into any smoke bellowing trucks or any dust clouds that I remember. Also not sure at what exact point the intakes fell off. Hopefully in the evening drive home...

Oil change sounds like a good idea. I was planning on attempting my first ever engine oil change soonish but I guess this gives me even more reason to get off my ass and do it =P