BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Warning: don't scrape curbs!!

Like everyone on this forum (I assume) I have scraped my front bumper on a few low curbs or speed bumps over the past two years.

Just wanted to warn you that over time you may do worse damage than just a few annoying scrapes . . .

Yesterday I noticed that the lower lip of my front bumper seemed to be sagging a bit in the middle, so I took a look. F*ck!! The front bumper of the 1M has three bolts along the bottom edge. Over time, and multiple small impacts, the middle bolt has actually torn all the way through the plastic of the bumper so the bumper is now only held up in position by the left and right bolts.

Problem is, it's a bugger to fix. Body shop told me they can repair the plastic but they reckon it will be weaker than it originally was and will eventually tear through again. So . . . I might have to get a new front bumper. That's only ~$400 parts (1M front bumper: 51118052493), but the labour and respray will make it a $1,000 repair. And even the best respray is never as good as the factory.

Clarkson on the 1M

Last edited by NPVPositive; 02-24-2013 at 03:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Obviously an annoyance for you but to be fair, one would expect repercussions from continuously scraping a body part, even if a bolt wasn't there. If one were to rub a sheet of metal long enough, overtime a hole will also develop. Don't worry about getting it resprayed; a job done properly can match if not exceed the factory paint job (get a detailer to correct the paintwork after the respray has been done if you are fussy).

Do your homework regarding good BMW approved bodyshops if you wish to use one of them, and don't be afraid to ask them to redo it again if you aren't happy with the paint job first time round.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Get your hands on a Lightweight front splitter, plenty tough for the scrapes and gives the underside of your bumper some added protection.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Here's a solution:

Park the car at your preferred distance from the curb. For me, I do not like any overhang at all, because people carry stuff on sidewalks and if my proboscis is sticking out there I'm asking for trouble... Make sure it's parked the distance you want, then go sit in the car and close the door.

Sitting in the seat as you normally would, look at the curb where it crosses by the side view mirror, and mentally gauge where that curb crosses into the driver side window relative to the mirror. Mine crosses into the 'v' formed by the mirror and the door frame.

As you approach a curb, simply stop when (or before) the curb line gets to that point on the window.

I had this happen in my Z3 and it tore up the front end. It happened the first day I got my 1er, and I said 'enough!' and applied some of that pilot training I got as a kid; keeping the horizon at a prescribed point on the windshield to maintain level flight. Worked like a charm then; even better now!

Problem solved!
      02-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Also beware of curbs when parking in reverse.

After less than one month of ownership, I had a very close call with a nasty curb. Luckily no contact: close but no cigar. I would have felt pretty frustrated if the tailpipes of the new car would have been already bent or scratched during that sidewalk encounter.
(the story and more pictures: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...57&postcount=1)

Name:  Curb_Alert_1.jpg
Views: 2371
Size:  123.8 KB
Name:  Curb_Alert_2.jpg
Views: 2144
Size:  93.1 KB

More bumper pr0n (the names of the 1M owners are not disclosed to protect the innocent ):

Name:  CurbKisses_1.jpg
Views: 4773
Size:  96.1 KB
Name:  CurbKisses_2.jpg
Views: 2175
Size:  65.3 KB
      02-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Our cars tend to be small enough that we can park a foot away from a curb and still be safely close enough not to stick out.

Interestingly the 1M bumper hangs about 1.5" lower than the 135i MSport bumper. You can measure the distance on the 1M specific front underbody sheild.

I never had any issues pulling into my driveway with the 135i front end but after Installing the 1M stuff I had a nasty surprise when I first pulled the car into my drive way. Scraaaape.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Get your hands on a Lightweight front splitter, plenty tough for the scrapes and gives the underside of your bumper some added protection.
Ding!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Ouch man...Thats a bit of a scrape there...

Something to note: After ETS IC install, the centre bolt would sit about 5mm lower as it seemed to touch the bottom tank of IC.. This in turn caused the lower front lip to hang even lower.

I removed that centre bolt after installing the H&R springs and IC as it kept scraping.. Now all is good..

After a couple of close calls, I NEVER EVER front park anymore.. Always reverse in..

Last edited by Zuzu; 02-24-2013 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

In the US you can buy the OEM front bumper for as little as $368, primed. (http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51118052493/ES2217521/).

Can't wait to see what BMW Australia is charging . .. any guesses? I'm thinking $800.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Acidblast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1 Series M Coupé

try and take those bumps at 45 degree angles. i find that really helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Ouch! You needed that tape that I put on mine... Mine scrapes every time I go in or out of my driveway, but tape keeps it protected and allows it to glide over.
How wide/thick is the tape? UHMW?
Appreciate 0