BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
duongma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 135i

brake Rotor Alternatives

Just had front and rear brakes changed and the rears are still squeaking when I brake (rotors inspected and deemed good) so decided to start looking for a full set of drilled/slotted rotors.

Besides ECS, stoptec and BMW perf has anyone used anything else?

Saw these on the net and thought I would ask

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/08-12-BMW...77cfca2&_uhb=1

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

It depends how much you want to spend as you've listed everything from cheap to expensive options. It also depends on what the intended purpose will be, i.e. street only or track-oriented - don't get cross-drilled rotors for use on the track unless you want to crack the rotors under extreme heat conditions; get slotted only.

You could consider an RB rotor kit upgrade (semi-BBK). As well as StopTech, other expensive BBK alternatives are Alcon and AP Racing.

Also, talk to Pete@Advan about the Nashin BBK that Advan sells. Some more discussion here.

Don't forget to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines and perform a fluid flush (full bleed) using brake fluid with a high boiling point, e.g. Motul RBF600/660 or Castrol SRF.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
It depends how much you want to spend as you've listed everything from cheap to expensive options. It also depends on what the intended purpose will be, i.e. street only or track-oriented - don't get cross-drilled rotors for use on the track unless you want to crack the rotors under extreme heat conditions; get slotted only.

You could consider an RB rotor kit upgrade (semi-BBK). As well as StopTech, other expensive BBK alternatives are Alcon and AP Racing.

Also, talk to Pete@Advan about the Nashin BBK that Advan sells. Some more discussion here.

Don't forget to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines and perform a fluid flush (full bleed) using brake fluid with a high boiling point, e.g. Motul RBF600/660 or Castrol SRF.
I've heard that the RB quality is questionable and that there are some issues with their product. I'm not sure if they've addressed these issues yet but I wouldn't recommend it.

I went with Stoptech BBK and couldn't be more happy. They get a lot of attention too.

OE is probably the best option and you almost always get what you pay for. ECS look quite good but if you track your car hard I wouldn't recommend them, or any cross-drilled rotor for that matter. I've had some hairline cracks in my first set of Performance rotors from track abuse.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I've heard that the RB quality is questionable and that there are some issues with their product. I'm not sure if they've addressed these issues yet but I wouldn't recommend it.

I went with Stoptech BBK and couldn't be more happy. They get a lot of attention too.
Yes, I do recall something along those lines too but it was over a year ago that I read that and I wasn't sure if they had resolved those issues yet. I just thought that I should include it as an option along with anything else that I could think of.
My recommendation would also be to buy a BBK

@duongma, make sure your research is thorough!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hang on, you said the rotors are still ok so why do you want to replace them???

Most likely it's not the rotors causing the squeek??
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

Pretty sure BMWs are meant to have their rotors replaced every 2nd time you replace the pads.
      04-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Hang on, you said the rotors are still ok so why do you want to replace them???

Most likely it's not the rotors causing the squeek??
Yeah that's probably the case. Most often, brake squeal is attributed to vibrations between the components of the brakes (pad, backing plate, caliper). It is usually stopped by using Brake Quiet, a type of lubricate designed to let them slide rather than vibrate. It's possible that whoever changed your pads did not use enough lubricant. Before changing all your rotors just to get rid of the squeal I would look into this first. Of course if you're just using the squeal as an excuse to upgrade by all means go ahead lol. I know all about that reasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
Pretty sure BMWs are meant to have their rotors replaced every 2nd time you replace the pads.
Yeah that's the general rule. It's because the OE rotors when mated to the OE pads are designed to reach their minimum thickness after going through 2 sets of OE pads. If use different pads then this rule would no longer apply. I have heard somewhere that the lip that forms on the edge of the rotor when worn down a bit can contribute to some of the squealing but I don't know this for sure.
      04-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
duongma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 135i

I had all pads changed and the front rotors changed which got rid of the squealing that the car has since I purchased it. All was good for a bit then the squealing came back in the rear of the car.

On inspection the mechanic said the rears rotors were still good to use but has said that the new pads may have caused contamination of the old rotors when bedding in hence the squealing. Im thinking they should have just been replaced too cause the squealing before was driving me nuts haha.

So if I am replacing the rotors I may as well look for some upgrades for street use and slotted/drilled always looks visually pleasing haha hence the questions on options :P Just wanted to see if anyone had used the DRT rotors in the ebay link cause price wise they seemed too cheap for drilled/slotted rotors.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:22 AM   #9
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I have the ECS 2 piece front rotors and BMWP rears. Haven't had an issue with either just yet but I've only got 1 farm day, 1 supersprint and 1 motorkhana day on them so far.

What you could do is look at the R1 concept rotors as well. There are a few people who run them and only have good things to say.
      04-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duongma View Post
Just had front and rear brakes changed and the rears are still squeaking when I brake (rotors inspected and deemed good) so decided to start looking for a full set of drilled/slotted rotors.

Besides ECS, stoptec and BMW perf has anyone used anything else?
As far as I'm aware, the only difference between BMW OE and BMW Performance brakes are the front rotors are slotted & cross-drilled, while the rear rotors are slotted & dimpled. The front & rear calipers are the same but painted yellow with BMWP insignia. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post

Also, another option is a Brembo BBK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Of course if you're just using the squeal as an excuse to upgrade by all means go ahead lol. I know all about that reasoning
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duongma View Post
I had all pads changed and the front rotors changed which got rid of the squealing that the car has since I purchased it. All was good for a bit then the squealing came back in the rear of the car.

On inspection the mechanic said the rears rotors were still good to use but has said that the new pads may have caused contamination of the old rotors when bedding in hence the squealing. Im thinking they should have just been replaced too cause the squealing before was driving me nuts haha.

So if I am replacing the rotors I may as well look for some upgrades for street use and slotted/drilled always looks visually pleasing haha hence the questions on options :P Just wanted to see if anyone had used the DRT rotors in the ebay link cause price wise they seemed too cheap for drilled/slotted rotors.
It depends if you just want to
  1. replace the rear rotors (and possibly re-replace the rear pads) with BMW OE parts
  2. replace the front & rear rotors with OE-sized aftermarket rotors
  3. replace OE brakes with a BBK
Sounds like you're leaning towards option 2. If that's the case, I'd be tempted by the ECS slotted & cross-drilled rotors (front, rear) for street duties, as well as some suitable pads and SS lines. ECS also supply BMW Performance front rotors. If you wanted to source locally, Stuart@BMRAutowerkes usually stocks the ECS and BMWP rotors.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
Walnut
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Don't forget Disc Brakes Australia (DBA), www.dba.com.au. They are local, high quality, international reputation, high success with motorsport, street and motorsport options. Good advice on the website too, eg slotted vs drilled.

HOWEVER

While, many e87 options are available, can't find a 135i option in the catalogue, and the online search say the discs are under development... .
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnut
Don't forget Disc Brakes Australia (DBA), www.dba.com.au. They are local, high quality, international reputation, high success with motorsport, street and motorsport options. Good advice on the website too, eg slotted vs drilled.

HOWEVER

While, many e87 options are available, can't find a 135i option in the catalogue, and the online search say the discs are under development... .
I looked at DBA well over a year ago before I ended up going with Stoptech BBK. They said they would have something soon at that time as well so I wouldn't hold your breath.

These cars are relics. I've had mine since new for 5 years +. I've seen so many companies come and go, all of them over promise and over hype but more often than not, don't deliver because they lose interest.

My advice would be stick with what's available now and what's already been tested. Stoptech, AP racing etc
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #13
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I called DBA about this just over a year ago (about Feb 2013). The guy I spoke to said they didn't have any upgrade rotors for the 135i, and was not intending to develop new products at that time.

I ended up getting EBC dimpled and slotted rotors from ECS tuning. Only used for about 5,000km and 2 club super sprints so far.
Appreciate 0