E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A++ X-Pel clearbra installer NYC area

08-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
wish1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus sc400

A++ X-Pel clearbra installer NYC area

I just had the full kit installed yesterday. Large hood and fenders, (comes up almost halfway up the hood) full front bumper, mirrors, door-cups and full custom rear bumper. It took three guys all day to complete. They did an awesome job. As close to perfect as human hands could achieve.

When I told them about this forum and that I would post my positive experience, they offered a group discount if anyone wants to organize it.
      08-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
ATC BMW
Air Traffic Controller
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupe

I was wondering how much the xpel and labor was?
      08-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
zero619
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i

Where is the shop located? I would def. be interested if we got a group buy together.
      08-06-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish1
I just had the full kit installed yesterday. Large hood and fenders, (comes up almost halfway up the hood) full front bumper, mirrors, door-cups and full custom rear bumper. It took three guys all day to complete. They did an awesome job. As close to perfect as human hands could achieve.

When I told them about this forum and that I would post my positive experience, they offered a group discount if anyone wants to organize it.
How about .....'how much'?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
wish1
Private First Class
Rep

They have install locations in Rockland and Bayside. I went to Bayside. The complete job installed cost me $850. Not cheap, but worth it, in my opinion. For some things I am willing to pay for first class. They did a first class installation. As did my window tinter, and he wasn't cheap either.
      08-06-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Quote:
They have install locations in Rockland and Bayside. I went to Bayside. The complete job installed cost me $850. Not cheap, but worth it, in my opinion. For some things I am willing to pay for first class. They did a first class installation. As did my window tinter, and he wasn't cheap either.
Do they also happen to repair minor scratches, etc?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not too bad.....
...here's what I did. I bought the BMW version of the E90 kit for the hood & bumper. Cost about $300, but no door cups or rear bumper, and its made by X-Pel for BMW. It is also the extended coverage version, unlike the E46 kit from BMW which was cheaper & covered less area.

Then I got online & started calling a few X-Pel dealers in my area, and found Monster Coatings in Garfield, N.J. He quoted me a VERY reasonable price for installation, and he guaranteed the job in case anything ruptures the film or it peels, etc. It took him about 3 and a half hours, but I am very satisfied with the work.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #8
wish1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
Not too bad.....
...here's what I did. I bought the BMW version of the E90 kit for the hood & bumper. Cost about $300, but no door cups or rear bumper, and its made by X-Pel for BMW. It is also the extended coverage version, unlike the E46 kit from BMW which was cheaper & covered less area.

Then I got online & started calling a few X-Pel dealers in my area, and found Monster Coatings in Garfield, N.J. He quoted me a VERY reasonable price for installation, and he guaranteed the job in case anything ruptures the film or it peels, etc. It took him about 3 and a half hours, but I am very satisfied with the work.
You asked me what my job cost, and I told you. Then you come back and say your install was VERY reasonable(????). What does that mean? Why would you ask someone something which you would not share yourself? You are obviously not shy to talk money beacuse you asked me, so why get coy now?
      08-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #9
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

wish1;

Check your PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #10
bmwboy29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 325xi

Hey guys, how long do the clear bras last? do they get nasty with time? will they have to be replaced? Let me know.... THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #11
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwboy29
Hey guys, how long do the clear bras last? do they get nasty with time? will they have to be replaced? Let me know.... THANKS!
As long as you take care of it, the film is pretty resilient to yellowing, especially now. 3m is currently distributing its third generation of paint film, which is supposedly much improved over the older films. According to my X-Pel guy, you are supposed to go over the film with some kind of special cleaner/wax every now & then to ensure that it stays in good shape. Never did that on my TiAg E46, and it still looks great.

Unfortunately, the darker your car is, the more noticeable the film becomes. I can also tell you that before I re-applied a new X-Pel kit that I had on my E46 last June, it did look more obvious than when I first had it installed in October of 2000. Likewise over time, a darker car with the film is going to 'reveal' the film moreso than will a lighter car. But other than occasional dirty edges, there isn't any yellowing that I can see.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 07:06 PM   #12
bmwboy29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So what about when waxing using Zaino? will you still have a nice shine? I am tossing the idea of doing this...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2005, 07:17 PM   #13
wish1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So what about when waxing using Zaino? will you still have a nice shine? I am tossing the idea of doing this...
The material has a clearcoat finish so should take Zaino like any other clearcoat. I bought the Zaino kit but haven't applied it yet, I was waiting for the clearbra to be installed. I will let you know the results after the application.
      08-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #14
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The film breathes and you are supposed to wax over it to preserve the consistency of your car's shine. I was a disbeliever at first, so I removed the first kit on my E46 before a full detail......I realized afterwards that I never had to.

You shouldn't scrap the idea of using this film....in all actuality, cars that have this protection have a higher resale because of the great condition the paint is in after so much time. If you can get the kit wholesale, you shouldn't have to pay a good installer any more than 4 hours worth of labor. My installer normally charges $300 for an install of the E90 hood & bumper kit (excluding materials), but he knocked off $25 after I busted his chops about it. He also said that he would consider reducing the price further on group buys.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #15
bmwboy29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Whats the BEST clear bra to get? I dont know much about this but now I really want to have one installed... should I do it at the dealer or what? I live in Massachusetts but I dont know who would be good at treating my baby with RESPECT...???
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2005, 11:57 AM   #16
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whats the BEST clear bra to get? I dont know much about this but now I really want to have one installed... should I do it at the dealer or what? I live in Massachusetts but I dont know who would be good at treating my baby with RESPECT...???
I've used the BMW kit made by X-Pel, and they have been making kits for a real looooong time. Scroll down to page 29 of the accessories brochure and you can get the part numbers:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687

Then I'd call a wholesale dealer like Pacific or Circle BMW to get pricing. Call around for installers.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2005, 07:37 PM   #17
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

Well the product is "made" by 3M, all X-Pel does it cut the kits. So any installer that uses a 3M/X-Pel product will be good to use. You just then have to find one you trust with your car. Go there unannounced and ask to look at a car they are in the process of doing. The place I went through does 1-3 per day so they have experiance. And if you haven't guessed, I highly suggest you get it done, it goes on pristeine paint beautifully. I have it on my Tiag and unless your a 1-3 feet away you can't even tell. It takes the Zaino awesome as well.

Jesse
Appreciate 0