BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #67
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Nice. Thanks... Excited now!
      07-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #68
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Just ordered the LUX Angel Eyes then I had a look at the Bavarian LS1 thread and I should have just gone for that! too bad they don't have a core exchange program though!
lol I wonder how much that'll cost, and you realise an LS1 install requires extensive work and modification to the headlight?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #69
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Also, I have ordered a new Alpine V3 HID Angel Eye Kit (8000k) so can compare back to back with my existing LUX V3s in my 1er.
Any recommendations for a BMW 128i? I am trying to find one, but there are so many to choose from...

I'm also on a budget Did you have any problems with any of your angel eyes (not turning on, flickering, etc.)?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #70
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
lol I wonder how much that'll cost, and you realise an LS1 install requires extensive work and modification to the headlight?
I thought it just involved removing the headlight assembly and putting it back in. Either way, it looks the goods. I'd be keen if they had a core exchange.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #71
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeee View Post
Any recommendations for a BMW 128i? I am trying to find one, but there are so many to choose from...

I'm also on a budget Did you have any problems with any of your angel eyes (not turning on, flickering, etc.)?
Depends what your budget is,

$20 gets you a pair of GP Thunder globes, for the money, it's hard to beat and will satisfy most people.

I haven't had any issues with my HID Angel Eyes, I did have one bulb that colour shifted though (as mentioned before) but I replaced the pair of globes and that was all sorted. HIDs as mentioned are about $200.

LUX LEDs are also right up there and for $250 you get a pair of bright (by LED) standards LED globes which are simple plug n play. They aren't as bright as HIDs however as HIDs tend to be a little too bright, this isn't such a bad thing.

I'm currently running the LUX but have ordered the HIDs for myself and I'll see which one I like better afterwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I thought it just involved removing the headlight assembly and putting it back in. Either way, it looks the goods. I'd be keen if they had a core exchange.
Ah yeh a core exchange where they send you a pair of headlights and then you send your ones back? That would certainly make it a LOT more popular.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #72
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ah yeh a core exchange where they send you a pair of headlights and then you send your ones back? That would certainly make it a LOT more popular.
Yes, if they did that I would be very keen. I saw some photos posted in daylight and it just looked awesome. Closest thing I've seen to the 3 so far, possibly better!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #73
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Depends what your budget is,

$20 gets you a pair of GP Thunder globes, for the money, it's hard to beat and will satisfy most people.

I haven't had any issues with my HID Angel Eyes, I did have one bulb that colour shifted though (as mentioned before) but I replaced the pair of globes and that was all sorted. HIDs as mentioned are about $200.

LUX LEDs are also right up there and for $250 you get a pair of bright (by LED) standards LED globes which are simple plug n play. They aren't as bright as HIDs however as HIDs tend to be a little too bright, this isn't such a bad thing.

I'm currently running the LUX but have ordered the HIDs for myself and I'll see which one I like better afterwards
I looked up GP Thunder Globes, but they seem to be headlight bulbs. I'm sorry, but I should have been more clear with what I've wanted.

I'm actually looking for angel eye rings as I want to change from the amber to a brighter shade of blue/white. I already have the stock xenon adaptive headlamps installed. Are those $200-$250 LEDs you speak of the rings?

Sorry, but I'm a complete noobie..

Thanks for helping!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #74
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I looked up GP Thunder Globes, but they seem to be headlight bulbs. I'm sorry, but I should have been more clear with what I've wanted.

I'm actually looking for angel eye rings as I want to change from the amber to a brighter shade of blue/white. I already have the stock xenon adaptive headlamps installed. Are those $200-$250 LEDs you speak of the rings?

Sorry, but I'm a complete noobie..

Thanks for helping!
Yeh mate the Angel Eye RINGS are powered by a globe behind it with an H8 base...

so you want to make your angel eyes, shown in the pic currently yellowish, to something blue or white, then you can use one of the three options I suggested. They will do the trick to varying levels of effectiveness and brightness.

If you want to replace the whole angel eye ring (not entirely necessary) then you can get a kit such as the Bavarian LS1 or OSS, these are rather expensive and if you're going to DIY i'd estimate 6hours labour for a beginner.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #75
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeh mate the Angel Eye RINGS are powered by a globe behind it with an H8 base...

so you want to make your angel eyes, shown in the pic currently yellowish, to something blue or white, then you can use one of the three options I suggested. They will do the trick to varying levels of effectiveness and brightness.

If you want to replace the whole angel eye ring (not entirely necessary) then you can get a kit such as the Bavarian LS1 or OSS, these are rather expensive and if you're going to DIY i'd estimate 6hours labour for a beginner.
So you're saying that the bulb powers both the globe and the rings?

As a personal preference, what would you prefer for a white color?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #76
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

if money is not a concern go for the Bavarian LS1!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #77
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying that the bulb powers both the globe and the rings?

As a personal preference, what would you prefer for a white color?
What do you mean by the bulb powers the globe and the rings?

Bulb = globe.

The Angel Eye rings (pair on each side) is lit up by one globe (or bulb) on each side.

Your driving lights (the xenon light you use to see at night) is lit up by a seperate bulb with a D1S base (from memory).

Your choice of angel eye bulb does not affect your lowbeam driving lights and your choice of driving lights does not affect the colour of your angel eye rings.

As for colour, I prefer 8000k HID AEs because they give the appearance of being slightly less bright than 6000k. If you want really white coloured AEs as opposed to blue, I'd recommend the LUX LEDs.

All the HID AEs I've seen have a tinge of colour to them..
Did you see post #58 in this thread where I showed lots of pictures with HID angel eyes? Are you trying to achieve a look similar to that?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #78
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you decide to go with the HIDs I'd be interested in the LUX set?
      07-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #79
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean by the bulb powers the globe and the rings?

Bulb = globe.

The Angel Eye rings (pair on each side) is lit up by one globe (or bulb) on each side.

Your driving lights (the xenon light you use to see at night) is lit up by a seperate bulb with a D1S base (from memory).

Your choice of angel eye bulb does not affect your lowbeam driving lights and your choice of driving lights does not affect the colour of your angel eye rings.

As for colour, I prefer 8000k HID AEs because they give the appearance of being slightly less bright than 6000k. If you want really white coloured AEs as opposed to blue, I'd recommend the LUX LEDs.

All the HID AEs I've seen have a tinge of colour to them..
Did you see post #58 in this thread where I showed lots of pictures with HID angel eyes? Are you trying to achieve a look similar to that?
Wow! This clarifies things so much. THANK YOU!!

I just want to change the AE bulb on each side. I checked post #58 and I am looking for the color/effect on the left side of the second to last picture. I also want something that's noticeable in direct sunlight, but not too bright at night like some I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #80
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I think something snapped in your mind and you just went all mod crazy in the last 2-3 weeks
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #81
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
I think something snapped in your mind and you just went all mod crazy in the last 2-3 weeks
This may well be the case.

I'm also about to grab a JB3 from one of the Brissie guys on here... and getting the suspension done in about a month - just have to decide which one...

...getting to the point where I can't fit all the mods in my Sig
      07-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #82
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
This may well be the case.

I'm also about to grab a JB3 from one of the Brissie guys on here... and getting the suspension done in about a month - just have to decide which one...

...getting to the point where I can't fit all the mods in my Sig
ahahhaa... KW Coilovers??

I am sure you are going to love the new boost in power once you get your JB3!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #83
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
will keep you in mind BUT a friend of mine in Sydney actually gave me these so I guess I should ask if he wants them back before I sell his gift to me lol.

Quote:

I just want to change the AE bulb on each side. I checked post #58 and I am looking for the color/effect on the left side of the second to last picture. I also want something that's noticeable in direct sunlight, but not too bright at night like some I've seen.
The left side on that pic is a 6000k bulb that colour shifted... just so i don't confuse you, it's the equivalent of an 8000k HID bulb.

Here's your next dilemma:

HID AEs = definitely noticeable in direct sunlight but rather bright (some say too bright) at night.

LUX AEs = perfect at night... in direct sunlight rather average.

One of the better compromises is the 8000k HID Angel Eyes as that's still bright but appears to be less bright compared to 6000k due to the human eye's visible light spectrum.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #84
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

+ 1 definitely knows his stuff when it comes to headlights. I've picked his brain a few times and I went with the LUX
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #85
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

HIDs are fucking shit do not get them. bmroxm5s E92 AEs were bright enough to burn your eyes. And the rings were not defined either. Just a massive blur of light. It looked like highbeams were on all the time. Do NOT get HID AEs.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #86
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
HIDs are fucking shit do not get them. bmroxm5s E92 AEs were bright enough to burn your eyes. And the rings were not defined either. Just a massive blur of light. It looked like highbeams were on all the time. Do NOT get HID AEs.
Thanks for the input. I went with LUX Angel Eyes though. I have seen them on another members car a while ago and I thought they looked brilliant, very OEM like in brightness but white instead of yellow light. They are a bit harder to see in direct sunlight though but still look good most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #87
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
lol don't be such a pussy...

at night they are bright, too bright.

During the day and direct sunlight, perfect.

The 8000k certainly had better defined rings than the 6000k.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #88
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

I guess I will see for myself whether the HID will be good or not. I am hoping I will like it...
Appreciate 0