BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #23
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

So talked to my SA looked like they opened a PUMA case on the car and sent data to BMW and BMW reviewed the data and ran tests on the car over the uplink and loaded an experimental software onto the car, he said he was told it's a few months from getting a full release to the dealer network, it's more done than a beta but not fully green lighted. But the car drives like it never had before it's just perfect. It's amazing all the issues before were just programming. As far as feeling slower the car actually feels faster as traction seems to be lost easier. And my car already had the BMW power pack. It just hauls and it's butter smooth. No more jerkiness and smooth rpm range. Altogether an A+
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #24
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
if you can get the name of the update. it would benefit us all ! thanks!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #25
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
I had much the same thing happen with my 128i auto recently. Clearly crisper shifts after unrelated minor maintenance work. The paperwork includes a scope, but nothing like a software upgrade.

If nothing else, it suggests possibilities. And that BMW may not always tell you about software upgrades.
I found out I'm not crazy. They probably simply did something which reset the adaptive transmission. See this thread.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1#post16287563
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #26
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 MT E82

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
So talked to my SA looked like they opened a PUMA case on the car and sent data to BMW and BMW reviewed the data and ran tests on the car over the uplink and loaded an experimental software onto the car, he said he was told it's a few months from getting a full release to the dealer network, it's more done than a beta but not fully green lighted. But the car drives like it never had before it's just perfect. It's amazing all the issues before were just programming. As far as feeling slower the car actually feels faster as traction seems to be lost easier. And my car already had the BMW power pack. It just hauls and it's butter smooth. No more jerkiness and smooth rpm range. Altogether an A+
Seems very surprising that they would install experimental not-greenlit software on a customer's car without a lengthy discussion first...

But yea, any more information you could find out about this would be greatly appreciated...seems like most DCT owners have these issues to a certain extent. I'm hoping what you are experiencing isn't just the adaptive transmission reset that happens along with an update.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #27
xbrentx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

The name of the beta would help many in our quest for power you also had ppk?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #28
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
OP I was really looking forward to an update on this! What has been happening for the last 10 days??

Is the car still driving/shifting well? Did you get any more information about the sfw update they did?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #29
TJ710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I'm the op. I didn't know you were waiting for a response from me. There were a couple people that sort of took over the thread which was fine. Im not the one with the answers. I have no PPK on my car and the car drives fabulously since my under the radar software update by my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #30
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ710 View Post
I'm the op. I didn't know you were waiting for a response from me. There were a couple people that sort of took over the thread which was fine. Im not the one with the answers. I have no PPK on my car and the car drives fabulously since my under the radar software update by my dealer.
Hey, thanks for the response. You are right that I read posts by both you and -c- and may have been remembering you as one person. I thought you were going to find out what the software was that they installed on your car. I also have a '11 135i DCT and I brought my car in a few months ago for a software update that didn't really seem to help my DCT lag so I was hoping I could compare whether I have the same version as the one you received.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #31
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Hey guys I'm sorry I didn't post back, I actually sold the car.

Put an order in on an I3,

The dealers service adviser told me it was a puma case as my car had all the latest software installed and they had no idea how to fix the stumble and lag with the near stalling issue when coming to a stop with AC on.

The PUMA case was carried through by BMW connecting to the car remotely and downloading the new software to car and it required it to be in at rest state for 24hrs. They won't release the info to me and all I know about it is what I wrote in earlier posts. I'm sorry I don't have more info but that's all the service advisor would tell me. The dealer that did it was bill Jacobs BMW near Chicago.

But the month and a half I had the car back from the update the car never ran better than that month and had 30k miles to know the difference between the old drivability and the new. It was a build date of 05/12 so it had been to the dealer a couple of times for new trans updates and engine updates but never fixed the issue.

What BMW did to my car the dealerships do not have. Only BMW at this time has this software and only they can upload it to the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #32
qwikss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

My DCT lag was fixed with ISTA/P 2.53.0
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #33
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Can someone decode this?

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
cpandrewschmidt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 n55 135i dct

Anyone have any thoughts if this is the same update that wreaks the way the exhaust sounds and possibly tames the car down a bit?

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #35
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Well I may be on to something, I work offshore and my car sits for weeks at a time. This time I was gone for five weeks and when I got to my car all the memory settings were lost. My radio settings along with the memory seats and everything else were gone. After driving it for a few days now the trans is running beautifully, no hesitation at all. My car only has 3,500 miles on it and I never experienced terrible lag but it did rarely pop its head up, but since I got back it seems more responsive all around.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #36
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
Well I may be on to something, I work offshore and my car sits for weeks at a time. This time I was gone for five weeks and when I got to my car all the memory settings were lost. My radio settings along with the memory seats and everything else were gone. After driving it for a few days now the trans is running beautifully, no hesitation at all. My car only has 3,500 miles on it and I never experienced terrible lag but it did rarely pop its head up, but since I got back it seems more responsive all around.
What conclusion are you drawing from this?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #37
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
I'm just sayin, it's quite the coincidence that the car has no hesitation or transmission "confusion" and all of the cars "memory" was reset.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #38
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
I'm just sayin, it's quite the coincidence that the car has no hesitation or transmission "confusion" and all of the cars "memory" was reset.
Yea I think it's pretty conclusive that the hesitation/lag has to do with the adaptive transmission. There are too many stories of it getting better after bringing it into the dealer but only having it get worse again. So if your car reset for some reason during that time, it doesn't surprise me.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #39
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

I had my car updated about a month and a half ago.

The car really shifts alot smoother and quicker I find than before and there is a bit less lag when driving after slowing down to almost a complete stop.

I used to have the issues where at a red light sometimes the car would stall, or drop under 500rpm. And I also had the car jump on me a few times without me even pressing the gas at a red a few times, almost as if I got rear ended. I no longer have these issues.

But you do lose the pops and gurgles out of the stock exhaust. I feel like its come back a bit since the day it was updated but nowhere near the way it used to pop.

I also have JB4 stage2 and couple other mods.

Im hoping once I put the DP and exhaust on, it'll sound the way I want it to.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #40
Overpar56
Rep

Uh, my lag is back. Idle jumps at stoplights. Did the reset procedure and no joy. This crap is getting old. At least I have a case on file with BMW USA about it. Now I'll let the dealer try to figure out why I have to press the throttle down 1/4 of the way to get the car to move and then it jumps on me. It doesn't happen all the time but it's happening a lot more the last week or so. Starting to get that bad vibe at intersections again. I've taken to preload the trans with a foot on the brake an a little throttle to make sure the car moves when I let off the brake.

Here's one thing I've noticed. Pull up to a stop on a hill and let off the brake. Car rolls back. Hit the brake again and the hill hold feature takes hold. At least that's how it feels. I'm wondering if there's something with how the clutches manage this and it screws up so that you get that low speed "I can't figure out what gear I should be in" issue.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #41
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
Uh, my lag is back. Idle jumps at stoplights. Did the reset procedure and no joy. This crap is getting old. At least I have a case on file with BMW USA about it. Now I'll let the dealer try to figure out why I have to press the throttle down 1/4 of the way to get the car to move and then it jumps on me. It doesn't happen all the time but it's happening a lot more the last week or so. Starting to get that bad vibe at intersections again. I've taken to preload the trans with a foot on the brake an a little throttle to make sure the car moves when I let off the brake.

Here's one thing I've noticed. Pull up to a stop on a hill and let off the brake. Car rolls back. Hit the brake again and the hill hold feature takes hold. At least that's how it feels. I'm wondering if there's something with how the clutches manage this and it screws up so that you get that low speed "I can't figure out what gear I should be in" issue.
Your experience mirrors mine exactly. I've come to think that the worst part is that it DOESN'T actually happen all the time. If it was consistently delayed throttle response I feel like I wouldn't mind as much. But then I drive it and it has immediate throttle response and feels fantastic and I realize how much better the driving experience could be... I think without a doubt it has to do with how the 2 clutches interact with slowing down and speeding up. More specifically the transition from neutral to 1st gear or 1st -> neutral - but I've tried explaining that to a dealer...and they say there is nothing wrong with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #42
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I am experiencing some of these issues on occasion. Time to try the transmission reset. I used to have a G35 Coupe. In that car the transmission always shifted better after driving it in the M mode for a while. I wonder if putting the DCT in M mode and keeping the revs high for a couple of miles would do the same thing.
      08-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #43
Overpar56
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I am experiencing some of these issues on occasion. Time to try the transmission reset. I used to have a G35 Coupe. In that car the transmission always shifted better after driving it in the M mode for a while. I wonder if putting the DCT in M mode and keeping the revs high for a couple of miles would do the same thing.

Nope. The way I drive it hasn't. Today I did some spirited driving, all in manual, on Rt 58 in VA.

It's that low speed crawl or dead stop that is the bug. Car goes in next Weds for I hope the last time with this problem.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #44
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I tried the transmission reset this morning and things cleared up. The problem, I believe, is the adaptive transmission gets programmed into an erroneous state from heavy city driving, so called bumper to bumper traffic.

It was fine before I hit a bunch of traffic.

I hope 58 was fun.