BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #45
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Just fix the ugly headlights of the 135M and it will be a killer.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #46
ThinkPink!
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Lightbulb Fuel consumption

Haha, funny how no one has mentioned anything about the fuel consumption.

Yes, the M135 is one second slower around the Hockenheim and 2.6 seconds slower around the Ring, but what's really impressive is the fact that the M135 manages similar performace to the 1M while consuming 3L less per 100km. That's a 25% improvement, in a very short time.

In terms of future brand placement and strategy this is key, as fuel prices in Europe keep soaring, and the ecotrend won't slow down.

Most kids in school nowadays prefer eco-frendly cars, to the high performance beasts of our days. Days are counted for cool cars like the 1M, or the Sti or the GTR if they don't evolve, or adopt alternative energies.

Click here to take a look at some of my E90 inspired t-shirts!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #47
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPink! View Post
Because when you buy an M car you don't give a monkeys a** about fuel consumption..............that is why man created diesel
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #48
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

And the Oscar goes to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPink! View Post
Yes, the M135 is one second slower around the Hockenheim and 2.6 seconds slower around the Ring, but what's really impressive is the fact that the M135 manages similar performance to the 1M while consuming 3L less per 100km. That's a 25% improvement, in a very short time.
In terms of future brand placement and strategy this is key, as fuel prices in Europe keep soaring, and the ecotrend won't slow down.
Most kids in school nowadays prefer eco-friendly cars, to the high performance beasts of our days. Days are counted for cool cars like the 1M, or the Sti or the GTR if they don't evolve, or adopt alternative energies.
Okay, do the test: show kids a couple of videos and pictures of the 1M and M135i back-to-back, tell them that both cars are fast but that the 1M is more thirsty, and then ask them which one they would offer their dad if they could pick one.

Name:  VO_1M.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  334.0 KB
      01-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #49
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Artemis, if today's kids choose the M135i over a 1M after that test you suggest mainly because it is a more eco-friendly alternative than we may have some hope for the future! Ironically, if they do so we also won't have much hope left for fun on this planet.

We all know that 1M is a relic, one of the last examples of a dying breed, a member of an almost extinct species. That's also why we like it this much and no one should judge Sean Connery because he is the "hairy chested" Bond
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #50
HugoCostello
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is Alpine White

i want to a see M135 vs 135is
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #51
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

I don't think anyone would disagree that the 1M is a much more focussed track car. The M135i still does very well for a open diff and bags of practicality.
What I would like to see (not sure if anyone has mentioned this already), is an Auto M135i vs 1M (especially the sprint times). I dare say they would be inseparable.. If anything, I reckon the M135i would be ahead to 80-100mph judging by some of the sprint times I've seen..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #52
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec Abuser View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree that the 1M is a much more focussed track car. The M135i still does very well for a open diff and bags of practicality.
What I would like to see (not sure if anyone has mentioned this already), is an Auto M135i vs 1M (especially the sprint times). I dare say they would be inseparable.. If anything, I reckon the M135i would be ahead to 80-100mph judging by some of the sprint times I've seen..
There shouldn't be any meaningful difference between those two. But a xdrive M135i (they are all auto) very probably will hit to 100 km/h quicker, at least BMW says so.

Best I heard for a stock 1M is 4.4 and in magazine tests best is 4.5 (Auto Zeitung), both still with original PS2 tires. All to 100 km/h or 62 miles and all standing starts, should read 0.1 to 0.2 less for 0-60 miles. No doubt would be better with PSS, that's what I and many others experience every day.

Here is another interesting comparo by Auto Bild between a 1M and a competition pack (DCT and EDC) E92 M3:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9...scarskicsi.jpg
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #53
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Okay, do the test: show kids a couple of videos and pictures of the 1M and M135i back-to-back, tell them that both cars are fast but that the 1M is more thirsty, and then ask them which one they would offer their dad if they could pick one.

Attachment 804608

Goed verhaal! Well Spoken.

Anyway, don't believe the hype: The 8 autobox should be way more environmental/eco friendly in the M135i than the MT. IRL it just isn't(MT gives more/higher MPG...) . And when you go WOT with any M135i with 320(irl 340) BHP I can assure you the MPG is more or less the same as the 1M in real life. This is my second N54 and I had 2 N55s. Tell me about it....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #54
wabbit
wabbit!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: ///1M

nice but.. but the M makes a huge visual difference an M its an M

Last edited by wabbit; 01-09-2013 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: m
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #55
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Wow. M135i is fast. I always suspected this as well. So the real question, is the 1m for 10k more plus how hard they are to find even worth it? Ill save the 10k for race tires and track days and take the M135!
      01-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #56
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Wow. M135i is fast. I always suspected this as well. So the real question, is the 1m for 10k more plus how hard they are to find even worth it? Ill save the 10k for race tires and track days and take the M135!
Congratulations. You do know that it is not available in US though, don't you? Nice stable by the way. I bet F car is not a Fiat and P car ain't a Proton
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #57
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Congratulations. You do know that it is not available in US though, don't you? Nice stable by the way. I bet F car is not a Fiat and P car ain't a Proton
LOL. Thanks. Glad you enjoy my humor in my sig. Too many people get so detailed over their mods and cars etc. Its just a toy.

Yes, I wish it was available here! I cant justify the 1M or the M135 for myself. Too small but awesome cars.
      01-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #58
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

I'd say the wider PS2s offer more grip than the PSS in this case.

Absolute lap times are cool to compare, but I'd rather know the driver's perspective of the car's characteristics during the laps.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #59
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
I'd say the wider PS2s offer more grip than the PSS in this case.

Absolute lap times are cool to compare, but I'd rather know the driver's perspective of the car's characteristics during the laps.
Agree with the second part of your post totally.

About the sizes, every car comes with a stock size, this or that size right? The issue is M135i has the best street tire it could have in whatever size BMW decided to engineer it with and 1M just doesn't, simple as that. Tires matter, matter a lot. The reason why 1M didn't come with PSS remains controversial (would be too fast, too much, too risky considering already dangerously close performance to M3, who knows), BMW claimed they were not ready yet during some informal interviews with press when they have been asked why, but PSS was indeed introduced and available in January 2011 in Europe (1M production only started in March) and they were developed in cooperation with M division (plus Porsche and Ferrari). Moreover, every single M car and even M Performance car after 1M have launched with PSS, which is the new generation PS2 anyway. Anyone who drives a 1M with stock tires and then with PSS instantly knows what I am talking about since the car feels much better, faster and controlable/planted/sure footed with them, fits like a glove to car's nature imo unlike the stock PS2 which are great most of the time but rides harsher than PSS and just do not have sufficient traction to handle 1M level low down torque especially on less than perfect road and weather conditions. That's why PS2 have been regarded perfect on M3s (natural, since they are BMW specific and made for M3) but not that much on 1Ms. Only the better and experienced drivers on track conditions like them as much as or more than PSS due to the fact that they make the car more tail happy and arguably more fun for those talented few. But everyone accepts that the car is simply quicker and safer at the same time with PSS.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #60
Viper_FFM
Rep
Drives: !M

Hi guys,

just registered because of the posted lap times by sport auto.

There is a HUGE difference between the PS2 and the PSS. In my opinion you can add an extra second for the Hockenheim lap time and at least ten seconds for the Nordschleife with the M135i running on PS2 instead of PSS.

Here is a good comparison:
The white 1M is mine, stock, running on PSS. The black 1M filming, stock, running on the original PS2. Please note: The guy filming has done over 500 laps on the NS, including VLN and 24h . This was my 9th lap in total. However, you can see how much better the PSS works accelerating out of the corner.

Enjoy

Last edited by Viper_FFM; 01-10-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #61
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Wilkommen Nachbar. Interesting.

I already was going to order Supersports and change them this Spring but this vid just shows it.Thanks.
But first I'm going to have some fun with my 18 inch Hankook wintersetup this weekend I hope.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #62
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Hi Viper, thx for your vid !
I'll switch my PS2 to PSS after winter, I think these are the tires BMW should have put on our Babies from factory...
      01-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #63
Viper_FFM
Rep
Drives: !M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuuZ View Post
Hi Viper, thx for your vid !
I'll switch my PS2 to PSS after winter, I think these are the tires BMW should have put on our Babies from factory...
I think they would have done it. But they weren't available when the 1M launched.

M5/M6 are also delivered on PSS.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #64
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuuZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_FFM View Post
I think they would have done it. But they weren't available when the 1M launched.
"Expert dialogue: Why is the BMW 1 Series M Coupé supplied with the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ex works instead of the current successor product, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport?
BMW M Engineer J. Schwenker: The successor to the excellent PS2 is the PS3. At the time of vehicle testing and homologation, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport was not yet available in this size."

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/05/24/ex...r-j-schwenker/

I guess Schwenker meant "PSS" instead of "PS3".
      01-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #65
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_FFM View Post
Hi guys,

just registered because of the posted lap times by sport auto.

There is a HUGE difference between the PS2 and the PSS. In my opinion you can add an extra second for the Hockenheim lap time and at least ten seconds for the Nordschleife with the M135i running on PS2 instead of PSS.

Here is a good comparison:
The white 1M is mine, stock, running on PSS. The black 1M filming, stock, running on the original PS2. Please note: The guy filming has done over 500 laps on the NS, including VLN and 24h . This was my 9th lap in total. However, you can see how much better the PSS works accelerating out of the corner.

Enjoy

Thank you so much for posting this excellent video. Finally someone is showing what I and some others were telling since long time
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #66
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

BMW should seriously rethink not selling the M135 in the US. It's a great car but we can't get one, can't get the 1M anymore either. The M2 should be a great car that will have a world wide market.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0