BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
BMW Assist

Is anybody going for BMW Assist Service. Is this available on all cars with NAV or do you need to order the "Preparation for Bluetooth mobile Business" for BMW Assist to work.

Has anybody had any past expereince with this system.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #2
Ronnie
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
Is anybody going for BMW Assist Service. Is this available on all cars with NAV or do you need to order the "Preparation for Bluetooth mobile Business" for BMW Assist to work.

Has anybody had any past expereince with this system.

Hey mate,

BMW Assist is optional and comes with Business bluetooth, as far as i am concerned, i dont need it and will not get that, as i dont see it being used on a new car....

No experiences so cant elaborate on that one mate.
Bi-Xenon Headlights
Heated Seats
And She is with me.....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Carlos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

yeah, neither have I, besides I think the service is only free the first year and after that, you have to pay an annual fee for that
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Jeez, do 10 sec. of research.

BMW assist is "free" for 4 years. It works a little like GM's "OnStar" service if you have car trouble or need directions, and it can also help the cops locate your car if it's stolen, like Lojack does, via GPS.

Don't want it? Don't buy it. But no need to make up stuff about it.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburn View Post

BMW assist is "free" for 4 years. It works a little like GM's "OnStar" service if you have car trouble or need directions, and it can also help the cops locate your car if it's stolen, like Lojack does, via GPS.

You can also check to see which forum you are posting in. This isn't the US. It's Australia, and we already know that the things they offer are different in different countries... :thumbup:

We don't have GM's "OnStar" service here but we can get all the premium options without the sunroof! :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Quote:

Back in your box Roadburn. This is the Australian forum, not the US. The BMW Assist program is different depending on which country you're in.
      05-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep

So, how does it work in Australia?

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
So, how does it work in Australia?
It probably works the same. using GPS, bluetooth handset and Google or BMW maps to get you to the nearest help point (I'm guessing here).

However, I doubt very much that it would be free for 4 years here. Probably free for the first year and then a subscription for every year after that.

BMW Assist is a new program launched this year for us in Australia.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep

Could it work like this? As described by BMW Australia? Or is "TeleAssist" something different?

Reach your destination faster.

The right information in the right place at the right time - this is the purpose of BMW TeleAssist. Should any difficulties arise, your location is automatically transmitted to the emergency or the breakdown service: the latter relays important vehicle data to the BMW Servicemobiles so that the right help arrives on the scene faster.

No typing, no fumbling with maps - just press a button to contact the professional staff of the BMW Call Centre. Here you will be given information which you need at your location or destination, e.g. hotel and restaurant recommendations, addresses and phone numbers. All the data you request can be integrated directly into the navigation system and the car phone; you are always well informed and can reach your destination faster and more comfortably.

Travel in comfort.

BMW TeleAssist is the perfect travelling companion.
A direct line to the BMW breakdown service ensures mobility in every situation, and should a serious situation arise, BMW TeleAssist automatically sends out an emergency call with the location of the vehicle to the nearest rescue service. And finally, there is the information service - wherever you are travelling, you can make enquiries about addresses and phone numbers in the area and use this information in the navigation system and car phone. This way, you can find restaurants, cinemas or hotels at your destination even before you get there.

Perfectly prepared.

BMW TeleAssist can offer its help even before you begin your journey. Use your PC to plan your route, accommodation and leisure activities while still at home and then transfer this data to the vehicle's navigation system and the touch of a button.

What equipment is needed for BMW TeleAssist?

Your BMW needs special equipment if you want to use BMW TeleAssist. This includes a BMW navigation system and an integrated BMW telematic car phone. You can also have BMW TeleAssist installed in an older model: contact your preferred BMW dealer for details.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep

Sorry if I came on strong; I was cruising through "new posts" and didn't notice the hemisphere.

By the way, I see that BMW Assist is free on the new Australian M3. Might want to trade up....

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #11
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Sorry if I came on strong; I was cruising through "new posts" and didn't notice the hemisphere.

By the way, I see that BMW Assist is free on the new Australian M3. Might want to trade up....
No worries As mentioned, BMW Assist is new for BMW Australia this year, so even the sales people might not have any idea how it works All the links in Aus about it that I've looked at points back to the US site for more information.

Considering that the 135 starts at AU$71k, the 335 starts at about AU$108k and the M3 starts at AU$157k, somehow I don't think most people would trade up. (Not at double the cost anyway) :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

One of my nurses use to work for BMW assist, if you have a crash they can talk to you live through the phone system in the car. It calls them automatically just after the car crash and gives them info on the accident, airbag numbers etc. They speak with the driver to keep them conscious and send out emergency services as needed.
      05-06-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift135 View Post
One of my nurses use to work for BMW assist, if you have a crash they can talk to you live through the phone system in the car. It calls them automatically just after the car crash and gives them info on the accident, airbag numbers etc. They speak with the driver to keep them conscious and send out emergency services as needed.
Isn't that BMW On-call Assist though? At least the had qualified people taking the calls... I'd find it funny if it was routed through a call centre in India
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #14
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

Good one Dodgey. Say it out lout with an Indian accent - Are you being injured badly sir? Can you be hearing me?
      05-06-2008, 01:49 AM   #15
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift135 View Post
Good one Dodgey. Say it out lout with an Indian accent - Are you being injured badly sir? Can you be hearing me?
oh god that's funny!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:05 AM   #16
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

on a lighter note, you could always ship the car to india:
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #17
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
NOW thats funny
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #18
Carlos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Good on you mate
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #19
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
OK, I'm laughing in an empty room and feeling like an idiot.
What's gonna happen when that guy hears he has to wait for a part from Munich...

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0